My Android smartphone is using Mobile Data, even though it has been turned off??

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have an LG Android smartphone that is using Tracfone as my carrier, and despite being told that if I want to conserve Mobile Data, I just need to go into Settings, and turn it off, I am still losing data, even when it has been set to off....
I cannot understand this, and trying to get an answer from Tracfone's so called 'Tech support' is like pulling teeth, because they usually do not know, nor care at all, so they keep wanting to put you on hold repeatedly, to transfer you somewhere else, which turns out to be just another call center person, who is in a hurry to get off the call. Call centers are trash.
Nonetheless, I have been told this in the past, by someone who was at least acting like they knew something, that if I turn off Mobile Data use, it will not be drained, but this does not appear to be the case.
When I get home from work, I always immediately go into Settings, and turn off Mobile Data, relying on my home WiFi to run the phone, and check balance. However, after a couple of hours like that, I check my balance again, and the Data balance has dropped. Is this normal, or some form of glitch / bug in the phone / operating system??
Please explain, and Thanks in advance!!

PS. I posted this question twice, because there is no way to edit a question once posted, and the title had a typo I did not see until after posting....

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! What happens if you turn on Airplane Mode at home, then turn wi-fi back on? That should ensure that it's not using mobile data (but calls would require wi-fi calling be turned on).