My battery is being drained by MEDIA at about 1% per minute, how to stop?

A

AC Question

Today my battery started draining at about 1% per minute. That's with all apps closed, phone screen off, just sitting there. When I go to Battery>Usage the high drain app is MEDIA (Round black icon with a green download arrow) I can not Force Stop it because its a built in system app. It says the package includes MTP Host, Download Manager, and Media Storage. I have rebooted, cleared the cache (pressing power, vol up, and home, then selecting clear cache), stopping all background apps, turned off all notifications, stopped emails, deleted old emails, everything. Anyone have a suggestion before I reset the phone?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which phone? This can happen if there's a corrupt media file (i.e., music, photo, or video) somewhere. The Media Scanner gets hung up on the corrupt app, which causes it to use more energy. Does your device have an SD card?

nagelxj

Mar 13, 2017
Visit site
Its an S7. I do have an SD card. I tried removing that and deleted my last several files. Although I did email a large video file to myself that was not playing. It didn't download properly. I think that might be it. I deleted the email, but could not find the file because it didn't download properly. Any suggestions?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Use your My Files app to look in the Download directory. Look in the directory itself, not the Download History category. If you see that downloaded video, delete it.

Also, does this happen if you Unmount your SD card (in Settings>Storage​)?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali