My battery sucks! Anything else I can be doing different?

mikewelch5

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
So yeah, my battery on the GNEX is horrible. Every morning I get up, smoke a cigarette, and check twitter, facebook, emails, etc. In about 7 minutes or so it goes from 100% to 93%-95%.

The screen is set to the lowest setting most of the time, never on AUTO, and never above about 25% of the the brightness bar.

I am running AOKP, Imo's latest exp kernel at interactive X.

Here are some screen caps from today, hardly any texting, and zero phone calls. Just checking Twitter, Facebook and reading articles on the browser.

I have the extended battery also.

Any tips I can do to use less power? Need more info? Is something wrong?

Thanks for the help everyone.

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
It looks like Facebook is a big draw if you combine it with the fact that it is probably hitting your Android OS too. It may be whats causing you to keep looking at your screen, a lot.

dcastillo

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
theres definitely an issue if your phone is awake for that long....
something (possibly FB) is stopping it from sleeping...

Try freezing or removing facebook for a few days (possibly using the website instead) and see what happens...

-D

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I've always noticed a "quick" drain from 100% to 91% and then it evens off after that. It could be related to how the battery is "read" and "displayed."

To resolve it, do as the others have stated--stop using facebook and see what happens. It wouldn't hurt to try other kernels as well.

7stringer

I have The Rickets
Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
I use the option on Liquid Smooth (which is likely on AOKP) to set a longpress on the back button as a "kill app" feature. So, whenever I go into facebook, I don't just hit "back" to exit. I longpress back and it "kills" the app, so it doesn't stay on all the damn time. If I use FB for approx 1 minute, it's immediately the 2nd biggest battery drain next to the screen.

The app is awful - I suggest telling your friends to use Twitter instead lol (if you need social media). Far less drain, loads faster, etc. If I didn't use FB to connect with old friends, I'd just delete my account. It's so slow and laggy anways. Garbage.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I use the option on Liquid Smooth (which is likely on AOKP) to set a longpress on the back button as a "kill app" feature. So, whenever I go into facebook, I don't just hit "back" to exit. I longpress back and it "kills" the app, so it doesn't stay on all the damn time. If I use FB for approx 1 minute, it's immediately the 2nd biggest battery drain next to the screen.

The app is awful - I suggest telling your friends to use Twitter instead lol (if you need social media). Far less drain, loads faster, etc. If I didn't use FB to connect with old friends, I'd just delete my account. It's so slow and laggy anways. Garbage.

It does, stock as well.

62cc2c04-7cf4-e06a.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

svfd757

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site

I feel the same way about Facebook app. Is there a decent replacement app for Facebook?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus by way of Tapatalk

Bleezy

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I went to my "accounts" and disabled the sync for twitter and facebook. So in theory, it should only use data when i open it, right?

Also, i got the "4G toggle" app off the market and keep my phone on "CMDA" (3G) unless im doing video streaming or something. Seems to help the battery a lot.

The 4G on this phone is just brutal. Its almost comical how fast it drains. Where the battery tech, guys? Its 2012!:p

Last edited:

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
No thanks I like my removable battery. When your battery goes your phone is done. Can you guess what goes bad first on 97% of phones?

Nah, there's ways to get into it and change it if you need to, of course it will void your warranty but by the time your battery is no good your warranty will be over anyway. Oh well. I like going all day and never thinking about charging. Oh and getting signal too is nice lol. Don't get me wrong I loved my nexus, but I gotta have a phone that works:/

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Nah, there's ways to get into it and change it if you need to, of course it will void your warranty but by the time your battery is no good your warranty will be over anyway. Oh well. I like going all day and never thinking about charging. Oh and getting signal too is nice lol. Don't get me wrong I loved my nexus, but I gotta have a phone that works:/

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Sorry you were one of the few that received a crap device but I have a great phone and with the 2250mAh battery I get 2 days just fine with great signal to boot. Thin as stock :)

Reactions: oxymoron

andrewshah

May 16, 2012
Visit site

I use the same option on AOKP, it is so helpful with killing Facebook (the worst application known to exist)

bigdaddytee

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I feel the same way about Facebook app. Is there a decent replacement app for Facebook?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus by way of Tapatalk

I got disgusted with Facebook and their inability to create a useful mobile app, a few months ago, so I went looking. I came up with Friendcaster. Not perfect, IMO, but worlds better than FB. Pretty decent UI and not overly complicated, you can access everything you need to. Good luck!

Sent from my (pretty awesome) SCH-i515

greyhd

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Delete the FB app. I went with Friendcaster since you can control if you want the notifications pushed and how often to refresh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sipos