My Best Buy purchasing experience

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
First off, I want to say that I am loving this device. Its amazing.

As for Best Buy, it was interesting to say the least. I called this morning before showing up and asked about the mandatory data fee and activation. She said that last she was updated it was required but that she would check to see if things had changed and would call me back. About 15 minutes later she returned a phone call to me and said that Verizon was honoring it because they had "special Xoom's that were different than the Best Buy stock." I had to laugh.

I inquired about whether or not I could cancel once leaving the store and she said that I wouldnt be able to recoop my activation fee. Either way I showed up and paid for it, it took a total of 15 minutes. I got into my car, called Verizon and they cancelled it in about 30 seconds, it was like the service was never started up.

And now I am off to spend what I am sure will be the entire day on this thing :D

Happy Xoom launch day!

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I went into a Verizon store this morning and was the 2nd person to buy the Xoom. They tried to make me activate it in the store and set it up on a plan. I did not pay an activation fee and did not activate it at all. Just brought it home and have been using it with wifi all morning long.

cparker5

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
They tried to get me to activate it as well and I said, okay but first I want to cancel my wife MiFi. So I cancelled her WiFi plan that was due to be cancelled anyway and she didn't use and added a $20 (pre-discount) plan for 2 years. Met my wife for lunch and she used it the whole time, I think she might be going out to get one. LoL.

I amd glad I got the device and it seems fun right now, but I really think this device will really be worth the money when they add the promised features. In the mean time I will enjoy it for what it is.

thrallz

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
wanna know what this girl told me @ bestbuy? If I don't activate it I won't be able to use wifi... I was lol inside but just told her no, I just want the xoom.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
wanna know what this girl told me @ bestbuy? If I don't activate it I won't be able to use wifi... I was lol inside but just told her no, I just want the xoom.

Just a ploy to get people to buy the data package. I never once believed the whole "crippled WiFi" story.

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, she gave me that excuse at first until I told her that wifefly did a video and showed that you can bypass it.

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Just a ploy to get people to buy the data package. I never once believed the whole "crippled WiFi" story.

This.

Now, Best buy won't really get paid on any data activations unless you keep it for 6 months (well, not the serious money anyway) but they would get the activation credit, which makes their numbers looks great. It also increases their Data ARPU for the month (an important metric) which could lead to them getting more exclusives on devices.

It also prevents customers from buying the device in their store, and then taking it across the street to another retailer who offers them some sort of kickback for activating data through them. (waived activation, discounted accessories, etc). These retailers do it for the same reasons as best buy, but they might not have their own stock of Xoom's yet. I know some retailers who currently do this with netbooks. Get a 3g capable netbook at a store like Staples and they'll give you a $150 bill credit for signing a contract at their store. Shady? yeah, but it's the nature of the beast. You activate through best buy,this prevents anyone else from getting credit, even if you cancel right away.

Carrier commissions are really messed up on the retailer side, which is one of the reasons it's so confusing for customers when they go and try and price things at different stores.

I don't have a problem with them "requiring" data on a device they sell. (It sucks, but it's their right). What I have an issue with is them implying that it's something on the device itself, or a requirement from Verizon and not a store policy.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I was told by an employee at Best Buy it was to prevent people from buying the device from them and then going and selling it on the street. Whatever.

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I was told by an employee at Best Buy it was to prevent people from buying the device from them and then going and selling it on the street. Whatever.

Activation also counts as starting the warranty. If you leave without activating it, You'll more than likely have a REALLY tough time getting Verizon to process warranty issues with you, and you'll have to go through Motorola directly.

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
I just called Verizon customer service. Guy turned it off and I wont be billed. Only for the little data I used today. Said it was not required to buy if you paid full price. Back to wireless tether.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abdulbari266