My OnePlus One review (warning: long)

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Re: General thoughts

Yes I understand that just hope cm boost the call volume even more in this next update and it doesn't take them the full two weeks to release it.

dizzle16

May 4, 2011
Visit site

I'm trying to wait for that update as well. Gonna hit the net and see if I can find out if it's imminent or not

Posted via my OnePlus One

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Re: Got my One yesterday!

Is anyone having issues with call quality? I'm with AT&T and when I make calls that's a lot of hiss on the line. And if I use bluetooth to make calls there's a lot of distortion and clicks on the call. Any thoughts?

Posted via Android Central App

dizzle16

May 4, 2011
Visit site
No i wish I could hear hissing. My issue is just low call volume in general. Literally the ONLY issue I'm having. But I did make some calls today in which I could hear the caller just fine. I had a OnePlus employee email me today related to my old shipping issue last weekend and asked them about it. Awaiting a response. I really just asked if we can expect an update to fix this

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
No i wish I could hear hissing. My issue is just low call volume in general. Literally the ONLY issue I'm having. But I did make some calls today in which I could hear the caller just fine. I had a OnePlus employee email me today related to my old shipping issue last weekend and asked them about it. Awaiting a response. I really just asked if we can expect an update to fix this

Thanks for the response. Yea the ear piece and speaker are very low only on phone calls. I'm considering going back to my galaxy s4 because the call quality is very good and there are no volume issues.

jschu22

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site

So here I was, following along with a great discussion about call volume and potential updates and - BOOM, "can I get an invite?". Its like damn popups now.

But anyway, when it was mentioned that they said there would be an update, where is that stated? I'd like to follow this news closely.

Thanks.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
It doesn't mean I'm ruling out the fact that other OnePlus doesn't have better reception.

What could OnePlus do to retain you as a customer? If they offered to take back your phone and send you a new OnePlus One, would you accept that offer, or would you still sell your phone for a Moto X+1? (At the time that I am writing this post, Motorola has not announced anything about the Moto X+1.)

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
What could OnePlus do to retain you as a customer? If they offered to take back your phone and send you a new OnePlus One, would you accept that offer, or would you still sell your phone for a Moto X+1? (At the time that I am writing this post, Motorola has not announced anything about the Moto X+1.)
I spend a lot of time in their forum and people seem to have a hard time getting their device replaced that easily unless it have serious issues. I think Cyanogenmod can do something to improve the consistency of the connection with new radios. I am using CyanogenMod 11 M9 and it's feeling a lot more stable now.

They already have my interest, so I'm looking forward to whatever they're doing next, but I suspect it's going to follow the lead of Oppo. I don't use any cloud services except Google Music and the stupid 4 devices deauthorization limit they just set made me appreciate the 64gb storage, my music is almost 40gb and having it all at one time is nice. I might as well keep it for now, when I get a Moto X+1, I can use it as a backup device and using a cheaper T-Mobile MNVO plan or something.

The Moto X+1 leak and the screen protector for it give me enough info on what to expect. I'm looking at a much improved camera. I expect it around October, would be nice if it's sooner.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Re: Bought the OnePlus One :)

I got mine yesterday and love it. I ordered on Tuesday and it shipped Thursday with next day delivery. I only paid for the standard but they shipped from los Angeles and I live in LA so it was quick.

Posted via Android Central App using my OnePlus One

Wow that is pretty fast! I ordered one yesterday and there was only standard delivery. Hope I will get it by the end of next week. Glad I ordered a screen protector and case. A bit worried that the screen protect will not make it in time...

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the response. Yea the ear piece and speaker are very low only on phone calls. I'm considering going back to my galaxy s4 because the call quality is very good and there are no volume issues.

I saw this was addressed in updates. Is your still low after the updates? That would be a concern to me as I cannot stand low earpiece volume. I do not much care about the speakers but I do about the earpiece volume.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
They pretty much fixed that with the latest update, and the mic volume as well.

I must say one thing I love about phone the is camera. I've taken a lot more photos regularly because of it. As much as it not being amazing with low light shots (just like any other phone cameras, which I don't care about), the daylight shots are all excellent.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
They pretty much fixed that with the latest update, and the mic volume as well.

I must say one thing I love about phone the is camera. I've taken a lot more photos regularly because of it. As much as it not being amazing with low light shots (just like any other phone cameras, which I don't care about), the daylight shots are all excellent.

Ordered late Friday Night and it shipped yesterday and expected delivery is tomorrow. Look forward to getting it, setting it up and contributing to the thread.

Posted via Nexus 5

rob damiani

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site

no in-call issues here whatsoever....I'm also on AT&T.

Is anyone having issues with call quality? I'm with AT&T and when I make calls that's a lot of hiss on the line. And if I use bluetooth to make calls there's a lot of distortion and clicks on the call. Any thoughts?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

Newcomer to the OPO. Received it last Wednesday (8/20/14) and received two updates out of the box. I side loaded the latest update (33R) the night it hit because I hit update phone and did not have it so the question of will this phone be updated regularly by CM is not an issue to me. My device has a build date of 8/7/14.

Coming from a several large phones lately but have a Nexus 5 through them all. I feel like the Nexus 5 is the sweet spot for me but had the Note 1 and 2 and adapted to them easily. Had the G3 at launch and was unimpressed with the screen, heat issues and bloat so returned it. Then got a Xperia Z2 which I enjoyed, but it seemed so fragile and I was too worried about breaking the glass etc, so I sold it.

I then got an invite to buy the OPO and ordered it immediately. After opening I charged it for a while and then turned it on and connected wifi. After updating I started setting up and initially the OPO seems a little big but manageable. Everything went smoothly and I really like the device. I asked my kids to check the screen while white to see if they could see any yellow tint as I did not and neither did they . I put a Diztronic TPU case and a tempered glass protector (first I have used) and it is amazing! I really like the ability to customize everything. I was messing with themes and bought flux and flux white. Never really messed with launchers for several years so this theming thing was pretty cool to me. I am going with the capacitive buttons for now. Using double tap on and off. Since 33R hit thought I cannot double tap off because the status bar is too sensitive. I cannot get it to work because as soon as I tap it, the notification bar activates. I did replace the stock keyboard with google keyboard and the gallery with quickpic because I could not edit pictures with the stock gallery.

I did not have any touch screen issue, ghost swipes, battery issues etc. I have been very impressed with the speed, smoothness and features of the OPO. I even pulled my OTG cable out and messed with the thumb drive I have and the ordered the Meenova to carry around with a 64GB micro SD card just to have. You had to root and use stickmount to use OTG on the Nexus 5.

I am using the OPO on the ATT LTE network in DFW and the network has been fine and at least as good or better than my Nexus 5 which I would ding for network strength. WIFI on 2.4 and 5 GHz AC has been fine. Bluetooth in my Audi Q5 and Pathfinder have been fine. One major pet peeve I have on devices is low earpiece volume which has been fine on multiple calls with the OPO. The speakers are superb and actually startled me when I was checking the ring tones!

Battery life is fine and have had about 50% left after 12 hours as a light to moderate user. Really pretty good battery life. Maybe not as good as the Z2 but pretty close!

Overall, I am pretty impressed with this device regardless of the price. It is a nice sized phone, great screen and can be customized in so many ways. CM is doing an outstanding job squashing bugs and updating! I think the OPO blows the Nexus 5 out of the water, at least mine does. Of course I will keep my Nexus as I always have a Nexus but the OPO is my daily driver and I do not see that changing anytime soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol