My ongoing quest for a decent 8" tablet ...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I like 8" tablets. For me, they're the most versatile size -- large enough to enjoy videos, e-books, and games, but small enough to comfortably hold in one hand for extended periods of time. (And, since my eyes are starting to suffer from old-fogey-itis, text is more comfortable to read on the larger screen.) Like many, I was a big fan of the Nexus 7, but as we all know, good 7-8" tablets are hard to find these days.

I currently have a Lenovo Tab 4 8", which is ok, with a bright screen and front-firing stereo speakers, but the underlying specs are just too underpowered for satisfying use (Snapdragon 425, 2 GB RAM, 16 GB internal storage, 720p), and it's stuck on Oreo. I upgraded to a Lenovo Tab M8 FHD, which on paper is a lot nicer (3 GB RAM, 32 GB internal storage, 1080p, updated to Android 10), but the Mediatek Helio P22T's performance is intermittently sluggish or choppy (the older Tab 4 is consistently smoother), giving a frustrating user experience.

I thought about the new 8" Galaxy Tab A7 lite, but that also has the Helio P22T, so I would guess that performance wouldn't be much better. Huawei is known for making decent tablets, but the lack of Google services is a dealbreaker for me. I'm absolutely not interested in Kindles, since I want Google's Android experience, not Amazon's (and those devices are all pretty underpowered as well).

So I just ordered a used TCL Tab 8 on eBay for $99, hoping this will be a good solution. Snapdragon 665 (so I would hope for performance that's about the same as my Pixel 3a XL), 3 GB RAM, 32 GB internal storage, 1900x1200 screen (TFT, but at least it's IPS), Android 10 (supposedly will get Android 11, but I'm not holding my breath): https://www.tcl.com/us/en/products/mobile/tcl-tab/9048s. I saw some video reviews, which looked pretty good -- interface seemed pretty quick and smooth, and games like Asphalt 9 (which I play a lot) seemed to run without a hitch.

I'll update this when I get it and have had a chance to run it through its paces!

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Good luck with your new tablet. I'm interested in learning more about it, since I've never seen any TCL products. I'm looking forward to your review.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I didn't realize Samsung used Mediatek in anything, they make their own chips, I thought everything was Exynos excluding the Snapdragon devices.

I'll probably never own an 8" tab but I too am interested in how this tablet turns out for you, I know they have some solid budget phones.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I didn't realize Samsung used Mediatek in anything, they make their own chips, I thought everything was Exynos excluding the Snapdragon devices.

I'll probably never own an 8" tab but I too am interested in how this tablet turns out for you, I know they have some solid budget phones.

I know, it's pretty odd -- you can check out the specs here: www.samsung.com/us/tablets/tab-a7/c...evice-2=galaxy-tab-a7-lite&device-3=undefined. I guess Mediatek gave them a good enough deal on the chips such that it undercut the cost of manufacturing their own?

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I like 8" tablets. For me, they're the most versatile size -- large enough to enjoy videos, e-books, and games, but small enough to comfortably hold in one hand for extended periods of time. (And, since my eyes are starting to suffer from old-fogey-itis, text is more comfortable to read on the larger screen.) Like many, I was a big fan of the Nexus 7, but as we all know, good 7-8" tablets are hard to find these days.

I currently have a Lenovo Tab 4 8", which is ok, with a bright screen and front-firing stereo speakers, but the underlying specs are just too underpowered for satisfying use (Snapdragon 425, 2 GB RAM, 16 GB internal storage, 720p), and it's stuck on Oreo. I upgraded to a Lenovo Tab M8 FHD, which on paper is a lot nicer (3 GB RAM, 32 GB internal storage, 1080p, updated to Android 10), but the Mediatek Helio P22T's performance is intermittently sluggish or choppy (the older Tab 4 is consistently smoother), giving a frustrating user experience.

I thought about the new 8" Galaxy Tab A7 lite, but that also has the Helio P22T, so I would guess that performance wouldn't be much better. Huawei is known for making decent tablets, but the lack of Google services is a dealbreaker for me. I'm absolutely not interested in Kindles, since I want Google's Android experience, not Amazon's (and those devices are all pretty underpowered as well).

So I just ordered a used TCL Tab 8 on eBay for $99, hoping this will be a good solution. Snapdragon 665 (so I would hope for performance that's about the same as my Pixel 3a XL), 3 GB RAM, 32 GB internal storage, 1900x1200 screen (TFT, but at least it's IPS), Android 10 (supposedly will get Android 11, but I'm not holding my breath): https://www.tcl.com/us/en/products/mobile/tcl-tab/9048s. I saw some video reviews, which looked pretty good -- interface seemed pretty quick and smooth, and games like Asphalt 9 (which I play a lot) seemed to run without a hitch.

I'll update this when I get it and have had a chance to run it through its paces!

I'm a big tablet user myself, in fact it's my main device for anything not business related on the internet. I'm using a Lenovo Tab 4 10 32gb, but I imagine most of the specs are the same as yours. It's no speedster, but for what I do it gets the job done...and I love that 10 inch 16:9 aspect ratio screen :p I'm definitely interested in your quest though, because I'll be getting another Android tablet down the road, even though I've been reading Android tablets are a dying breed. I guess maybe the trend towards bigger phones are killing them off?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Samsung is doing its darndest to keep Android tablets alive, and they're doing a pretty good job with their flagship S line -- but those are just way too expensive for my taste. Lenovo has been ramping up their tablet line as well, and even HTC of all people rose from the dead to announce a budget tablet: https://www.slashgear.com/htc-a100-mid-range-tablet-might-come-with-dual-cameras-04685387/. I'm guessing the rise of foldable phones might actually be helping, since Google has to address the increased screen real estate available on most foldables (which can also translate over to fixed screen tablets).

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Ill throw my opinion in here , they probably did get it cheaper the Meditek chip but i think they perform better then Samsung midrange Exynos chip also , so might be better option to go with fir budget devices.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Just got the TCL Tab 8 in the mail! Installed a couple of updates (security update now at August 2021, still on Android 10), restored a recent backup from the Lenovo Tab M8 FHD, and I'm ready to roll. Looking good so far -- definitely snappier than the Lenovo. Display is fine, although not as bright and vibrant as the Lenovo. Bigger top and bottom bezels, which I don't really care too much about -- but I wish they could've used that space to add stereo front-firing speakers, instead of the single mono speaker at the bottom edge.

Widevine is L1, which means HD playback on Netflix (Lenovo was L3, which meant SD only).

Will report back after I've had a chance to put this thing through its paces!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, here's an update -- this TCL Tab 8 is a decidedly mixed bag, which is unfortunate. Overall performance and smoothness is generally better than the Lenovo for the most part, with less lagginess and stutter. However, the big problem is with TCL's firmware and its overly aggressive task-killing, which is so common among Chinese brands (see this: https://dontkillmyapp.com/). Switching from one app to another and then back again will almost always result in the first app having to completely reload (which completely negates the whole idea of app switching). For example, if I'm reading a book on Kindle, then switch to Chrome to search for something, then switch back to Kindle, the latter restarts, and it often brings me back to the page I had started at during my session rather than the one I was on right before switching apps.

Perhaps the most glaring evidence of app-killing I just discovered was while using Spotify -- I wanted to listen to something in the background, but as soon as I opened another app (even just the Google app), Spotify stopped playing (and the playback notification icon disappeared), which is completely unacceptable. No power-saving modes are on, Battery Optimization is off, and I turned off all the dumb "smart" settings that TCL has for RAM management.

Although the TCL is smoother in general, certain things still run better on the Lenovo, like Asphalt 9 -- I guess the Helio P22T chipset works a bit better for games but not for day-to-day activities.

The TCL also has a lot of storage taken up by presumed bloatware or other TCL/Verizon system junk. The system takes up 16 GB out of the total 32 GB!

Bottom line is that this is not the ideal 8" tablet I was hoping for. Ah well, maybe the Pixel Fold will be an option (although certainly waaaaaay more expensive).:-\

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I ended up getting the Galaxy Tab A7 lite, and it's been a significant improvement over the Lenovo Tab M8 FHD in terms of performance -- probably because I got the 4 GB RAM/64 GB storage version (at Best Buy), not the 3 GB RAM/32 GB storage version (which is the only version that Costco sells). I haven't seen the stuttering/freezing that happens on the Lenovo, and the stereo speakers are really nice to have. Samsung's better update policy is also a big advantage. The Tab A7 lite's screen isn't as good (only 720p and not as vibrant as Lenovo's), but it's still good enough.

So unless Google has a Pixel successor to the Nexus 7 hidden up their sleeves, this seems to be the best option!

blueyestm

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I like the 8" tablets too. I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4" which only has android 5 and just recently got the Samsung Galaxy Tab A and I have to say the old Tab S performs better than the new one. Still use it to read books, surf, and play Candy Crush - don't judge me.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I ended up getting the Galaxy Tab A7 lite, and it's been a significant improvement over the Lenovo Tab M8 FHD in terms of performance -- probably because I got the 4 GB RAM/64 GB storage version (at Best Buy), not the 3 GB RAM/32 GB storage version (which is the only version that Costco sells). I haven't seen the stuttering/freezing that happens on the Lenovo, and the stereo speakers are really nice to have. Samsung's better update policy is also a big advantage. The Tab A7 lite's screen isn't as good (only 720p and not as vibrant as Lenovo's), but it's still good enough.

So unless Google has a Pixel successor to the Nexus 7 hidden up their sleeves, this seems to be the best option!
We are getting one of my daughter's this tablet for Christmas. Glad to see we likely made a good choice. She isn't old enough yet to care about the latest and greatest, so something like the display resolution isn't a big deal. We don't really do tablets, so wasn't exactly sure how good of a fit the A7 Lite would be.