My Pain, My Stupidity

nkwebb140

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
I've been forced to revert back to my Blackberry. I purchased this HTC Droid Eris off eBay since I was not in an upgrade period with my VZ contract.

I absolutely LOVED the Eris. It was perfect for me. Let this be a lesson to everyone.

It somehow got knocked off our couch and went down a small flight of stairs. I didn't even know what happened until I went downstairs, turned the corner and --- WHAT!?! This is what I saw. BE CAREFUL!!

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
doh.jpg

nkwebb140

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
And while purchasing through eBay - I totally ignored the option to buy insurance through some 3rd party. Now the looooooong wait until 2011!

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
And while purchasing through eBay - I totally ignored the option to buy insurance through some 3rd party. Now the looooooong wait until 2011!

And no TEP on your plan? I would at least stop by a Verizon corporate store and see if there's anything they can do for you, like send it in for repair or even repair it in house. It's worth a shot.

nkwebb140

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm just afraid how much that would cost. The thing still works, just the screen is completely shot and jumbled. Maybe I will though......

Another life lesson - never be happy. He'll just knock you down at the knees back to reality.

nkwebb140

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
Awesome! Everyone here is always so helpful. I will check that out and maybe stop by the Verizon store to beg like the schlep that I am.

Goodness it was such a great phone!

IzelTokatl

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Sell your BB, it would probably get a few hundred for someone who is hating their non-BB phone. there are just die hard BB fans out there. Doesn't hurt to post it on Craigslist and see what the market price is. you could definitely pay for half if not a full price Eris.

mrfarinhight

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Sell your BB, it would probably get a few hundred for someone who is hating their non-BB phone. there are just die hard BB fans out there. Doesn't hurt to post it on Craigslist and see what the market price is. you could definitely pay for half if not a full price Eris.

+1

And ouch.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Awesome! Everyone here is always so helpful. I will check that out and maybe stop by the Verizon store to beg like the schlep that I am.

Goodness it was such a great phone!

As a comparison, my friend did the same thing to his iPhone and Apple replaced it for him at the discounted price. Verizon might do the same.

nkwebb140

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
Alright - lets say someone (me) who completely cracked up their Eris (picture on prior page) got their hands on an Eris that cannot be activated b/c it has a due balance on it - anyone know how to replace the shattered screen on my device with the Eris that has the bad ESN?

Seems it's way over my head possibly. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Alright - lets say someone (me) who completely cracked up their Eris (picture on prior page) got their hands on an Eris that cannot be activated b/c it has a due balance on it - anyone know how to replace the shattered screen on my device with the Eris that has the bad ESN?

Seems it's way over my head possibly. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I've not torn down an Eris, so insert grain of salt

Taking the shell apart is probably confusing, but not hard. Pop out the battery and sd card, then look for screws near the corners. You'll probably have to slide or pry the top sections apart, but don;t force it. If it won't budge, look for more screws :D

The screen is probably in three sections - the display, the digitizer, and a protective cover. Hopefully all three are affixed together as one sub-assembly. Don't try to disconnect any cable(s) until you have the screen free of the housing - look for double sided adhesive tape to play a big part here.

To be honest, it might be easier to swap the ESN/MEID of the two devices. Are you close to a Cricket wireless store? I'll bet for a few bucks one of their techs would help you out there under the table. It's not something we should discuss too much here, but it's very easy and quick if you have the correct tools and is more common than you think.

nkwebb140

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
Wow - thanks. I fear I am far less technical than you are when it comes to taking the phone apart. Or I am just chicken.

I've never heard of the ESN swapping and not much appears back on Google about it. Seems something I may not want to explore.

Looks like its the end of the line in my persuit to get back on Android.

tropper

Smarty Pants
Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
you couldn't have the phone ported to your number an account? seems to me they should allow the person in the read to handle there own business and atleast sell the phone to pay the bill ?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgie