My phone suddenly died!

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Screenshot_2013-08-27-14-42-35.png
I own a Samsung Galaxy Nexus through Verizon Wireless, running the updated-to Android 4.2.2, I was casually playing a game on my phone, knowing I had approximately 30% battery life left, when all the sudden the screen starts blinking and there were weird lines going across my screen, and it made this horrible buzzing sound, then BAM! it went completely black, so I took out the battery, let it sit for a minute and put the battery back in, but it wouldn't power on! so I plugged it in, and it finally turned on, and to my surprise my battery was on 0%! I just had around 30% left, and it tells me at 14% and 4% when it is low, so from there I checked my phone's battery's graph, and without doubt there was a straight plateau from around 30% straight down to 0%?! I read online that the update to Android 4.2.2 brought many problems to the Galaxy Nexus, such as battery life problems, and was recommended to do a factory reset. And after talking to my best friend, he thinks my battery shorted out. does anyone know what might have happened? and what should I do to ensure this doesn't happen again? Should I do a factory reset? also for the note, at the time this happened I was playing a high-end game on my phone, which I have noticed it struggling to play, but not struggling enough to keep me from playing, although my iPad runs it flawlessly. Also note that I did do an app and storage virus scan afterwards with Avast! Thank you for any input!

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
View attachment 78262
I own a Samsung Galaxy Nexus through Verizon Wireless, running the updated-to Android 4.2.2, I was casually playing a game on my phone, knowing I had approximately 30% battery life left, when all the sudden the screen starts blinking and there were weird lines going across my screen, and it made this horrible buzzing sound, then BAM! it went completely black, so I took out the battery, let it sit for a minute and put the battery back in, but it wouldn't power on! so I plugged it in, and it finally turned on, and to my surprise my battery was on 0%! I just had around 30% left, and it tells me at 14% and 4% when it is low, so from there I checked my phone's battery's graph, and without doubt there was a straight plateau from around 30% straight down to 0%?! I read online that the update to Android 4.2.2 brought many problems to the Galaxy Nexus, such as battery life problems, and was recommended to do a factory reset. And after talking to my best friend, he thinks my battery shorted out. does anyone know what might have happened? and what should I do to ensure this doesn't happen again? Should I do a factory reset? also for the note, at the time this happened I was playing a high-end game on my phone, which I have noticed it struggling to play, but not struggling enough to keep me from playing, although my iPad runs it flawlessly. Also note that I did do an app and storage virus scan afterwards with Avast! Thank you for any input!

Welcome to the forums!
I just think you are playing a game that is a little too taxing for that phone. Remember, that device is going on what, 2 years old? However, there may be cache conflicts going on, so I would suggest to do a cache clear in recovery and a factory reset.

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I'll be honest with you i did not get the .apk file for that app from the play store, instead i downloaded it and a .obb file and was instructed to place the .obb file in a certain folder, upon doing so the place i put it had another (empty) folder within it, and i started the app for the first time and it took forever to start and was downloading something, afterwards i go back into my file viewer and the .obb file i placed was still there, but within the previously empty folder was a .obb file and something not important, maybe the app is having conflicts over which .obb file to use, the one i got with the .apk for the app, was to be honest used to have unlimited currency within the game, something i can enjoy doing on my android phone, but not on my ipad version of the same game (unless i jailbreak, which i won't do to my ipad), so could this be the problem? and if i delete the .obb file it placed within the folder with the one i placed originally, will it mess anything up in my game? it did not seem like a problem to me, because it worked and i have unlimited currency within the game

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
View attachment 78305 This is a screenshot of where I was instructed to, and did, place the .obb file I downloaded with the .apk file. The instructions were to install the game via the .apk file, but before running it copy/paste this .obb file in android/obb, when I went to do so there was the same folder in there except it was empty, I continued and placed it in there anyways. then I ran the game for the first time, and upon starting it up it took a while to download something, but after that it was playable and I had the unlimited coins/diamonds I wanted, I later went back to check the place where I placed the .obb file and I saw it and I saw that there were three things within the previously-empty folder, so I opened it and the next screenshot is what I saw: View attachment 78308 To my surprise there was another .obb file of the same name within the folder? Now I'm thinking maybe the app is having trouble because there are two .obb files, ignoring the fact that it is an older phone running an updated os that is known to cause problems with this phone, although 4.2.3 should be coming soon to my phone once Verizon sends it out, I hope that these screenshots and extra information can help, so we can figure out what I can/should do, thank you for your time, otherwise my phone is back to normal, although I have not opened that app and run that game since the incident

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gennenb