My shiny new toy...now what?

gingko

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
First jump into Android. Jumped from 2nd Gen iPhone to Atrix.

I'm pumped out all the options I have, but am a little overwhelmed.

What are 1 or 2 things I must do to my phone? What apps, settings, etc do you consider essential? What should I change on my straight out of the box phone?

Thanks,

jess.hickey

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
imo

-get sms replacement (go or handcent)
-get browser replacement (dolphin hd)
-root and get wireless tether (if you want/need the function)
-google sky (i've sold friends on android with this app alone)
-google voice for visual voicemail replacement (requires google voice account)

-----welcome to the wonderful world of android-------

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
2 things? #1. Pat yourself on the back for switching. Its the best move youve made so far in 2011. #2. Download ADW Launcher or Launcher Pro from the market and cover up MotoBlur. Then, let your mind wonder! :)

Robbzilla

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Get Doubletwist for your PC/Mac and for your android.hit will give you an Itunes like envionment. You can stay in it or wean yourself off gradually. Your call.

Sent from my Android for Telechips TCC8900 Evaluation Board (multi-language) using Tapatalk

jess.hickey

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Get Doubletwist for your PC/Mac and for your android.hit will give you an Itunes like envionment. You can stay in it or wean yourself off gradually. Your call.

Sent from my Android for Telechips TCC8900 Evaluation Board (multi-language) using Tapatalk

Did you have any luck with DT recognizing your external sd card?

hotleadsingerguy

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
1) Get LauncherPro. I don't really have much of a problem with MotoBlur but LauncherPro (or ADW Launcher) are *so* customizable. You can do almost anything you want with it.

2) Get Google Voice and set it up. Fully transcribes all of your voicemails (meaning you get a text write-up of what the person said) and works just like Visual Voicemail...but better. You even can get it all sent to your email or as a text msg. It's great because if I'm at a computer I can just listen to the voicemail on the computer (from Gmail).

3) Dolphin HD. It will blow away the built-in browser and amaze you with how fast it is.

4) Root. This will let you install apps from anywhere (some apps aren't on the Market) and will let you use apps like the one in #5...

5) Titanium Backup. Gives you the ability to backup and restore all of your apps at a moment's notice, including settings for all apps (even built-in and stock apps). *FANTASTIC*. Also lets you uninstall bloatware, but with the Atrix you can already do that with the built-in Application Manager.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
autocascade