MyTouch OS upgrades

pyrotec77#AC

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Just got MyTouch about 3 months ago and finally found this site. Does htc phones update operating systems automatic? My blackberry sends me OS updates and I have to manually update it. Not to sure of this whole MyTouch yet. Any help? Also my e-mail will not delete no matter how many times I tell it to.

Rusty Shackelford

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
The updates will be rolled out OTA (over the air). It is possible to update manually, but the OTA updates are easy as pie. The most current build for the mytouch is 1.6 (Donut). You can check for OTA updates from the home screen by pushing the "menu" button, and selecting settings -> about phone -> system updates.

As for the email, if it is not a gmail account you are speaking of, just delete the account re-install the account and do a battery pull (worked for my mobile me account). If it is gmail, I haven't a clue. Good luck and have fun!

Rusty Shackelford

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
The most common reason's for rooting (in my opinion) would be to gain the ability to store and run apps from the micro sd card, and to allow for tethering (there are not a lot of tethering options for "non-rooted" androids).

While rooting opens many features, it also takes some away (ie.. some apps in the market will not show). Though the link in my sig takes you to rooting directions, the sight itself is in my opinion one of the better sights in regards to rooting.

My only advice as far as rooting would be, proceed with caution, and make sure you check and double check everything before proceeding. I have unlocked blackberrys and jailbroken iPhones, and the process for rooting is not near as straightforward, and much easier to brick your device.

(Rant End) :D

Anyway, hope you enjoy the phone as much as I have. :)

jes

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
MY FIRST POST!!! From my Sprint Treo 755p.

My understanding from June Fabrics PDA Technology Group is that rooting is not required for tethering. I used PDANet on my Treo 300, Treo 650, 700p, and 755p, and it has been a workhorse, so I would highly recommend this product. Hope this helps! Cheers, Jason

PS: I am thinking of going to T-Mobile because I need international and I am liking what I am learning about the Android...should I go for the myTouch? I really like the positive atmosphere I am seeing with the myTouch in this forum...a real contrast from what I am seeing regarding the Behold II.

Rusty Shackelford

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
PDA net works great if you have a PC, but tethering over BT is currently for devices with 2.0 only. Also, it is currently not set up for use with mac.

Unless I'm wrong, rooting the phone is the only way (currently) to tether with mac. :(

As for T-mobile, I love everything about them but the spotty coverage every now and then. Coming from Verizon to T-mobile, there is a noticeable difference in signal strength, but it is a small trade-off for the positives (Price is no comparison, true unlimited data unlike the 5 gig cap at V$, GSM = many phones are world capable, no extra charge for tethering, no contract necessary on the cheaper plans)

I would weigh the options carefully, but I do love the mytouch and the tmobile network suits me just fine. Good luck in your decision.

PS. Welcome to the forums! :)

TaeKwonDonkey

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
Although I'm true to Tmobile, Verizon does have some world phones such as either of the two Blackberry Storms or the Blackberry Tour. However both of those are Blackberries and for some people, BB is just not their cup of tea. Tmobile is alright but like Mr.Gribble said, the coverage is spotty and both my MyTouch and Bold 9700 often lingered between EDGE and 3G (when I had them). Other than the MyTouch/9700/Touch Pro2 I feel like Tmobile doesn't get many good smartphones. Hopefully that all turns around with the Passion