Nationwide plan don't want to lose UD

sftl97

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I've been off contract for some time and now in need of a new phone my current phone is a Droid Razr and I'm looking to get a Nexus 6 . I called VZ explaining that I would be buying a new phone outright (not from them) to protect my unlimited data and asked if there was a discount for BYOP. I was told the only way to get a discount was to switch plans and I would lose unlimited data.

I thought that the monthly payment included a subsidy for a phone and therefore they should be reducing my monthly fee by purchasing outright.
Is there something I'm missing? or is this just another way of ripping people off?

I also want to make sure that when I ask for a nano sim to fit the new phone I don't lose unlimited data.

I know of the bestbuy trick and don't want to take that route.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Buy online at Verizon month to month pricing (full retail). They will let you keep unlimited.

The unlimited data plan has subsidy included but you don't get a discount when off contract. They want to nudge people off the unlimited data plan.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
I've been off contract for some time and now in need of a new phone my current phone is a Droid Razr and I'm looking to get a Nexus 6 . I called VZ explaining that I would be buying a new phone outright (not from them) to protect my unlimited data and asked if there was a discount for BYOP. I was told the only way to get a discount was to switch plans and I would lose unlimited data.

I thought that the monthly payment included a subsidy for a phone and therefore they should be reducing my monthly fee by purchasing outright.
Is there something I'm missing? or is this just another way of ripping people off?

I also want to make sure that when I ask for a nano sim to fit the new phone I don't lose unlimited data.

I know of the bestbuy trick and don't want to take that route.

Nationwide plans are ineligible for a BYOD discount. This is only available on their current plans. As dpham00 said, this is a ploy to get you to move off unlimited and onto one of their tiered plans.

If you buy a Nexus 6 at full price from Verizon, it will come with the nano-SIM that you need. If you buy the Nexus 6 full price from someone else, you'll need to take the phone to a Verizon store for activation. Activating a full price purchase will not affect your unlimited plan.

sftl97

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Nationwide plans are ineligible for a BYOD discount. This is only available on their current plans. As dpham00 said, this is a ploy to get you to move off unlimited and onto one of their tiered plans.

If you buy a Nexus 6 at full price from Verizon, it will come with the nano-SIM that you need. If you buy the Nexus 6 full price from someone else, you'll need to take the phone to a Verizon store for activation. Activating a full price purchase will not affect your unlimited plan.

I was looking to see if there was a way to get the discount on Nationwide plan. Guess not and I don't plan on giving up UD.

Thanks

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
I was looking to see if there was a way to get the discount on Nationwide plan. Guess not and I don't plan on giving up UD.

Thanks

Unfortunately, the only way to discount your costs is to decrease your talk minutes or texts within the plan. Depending on your usage, there is an old plan that gives you 30 minutes of talk, pay per text, and unlimited data for $45 a month. If you use Google Voice with that plan, it's about as cheap as you can go while maintaining unlimited data.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, the only way to discount your costs is to decrease your talk minutes or texts within the plan. Depending on your usage, there is an old plan that gives you 30 minutes of talk, pay per text, and unlimited data for $45 a month. If you use Google Voice with that plan, it's about as cheap as you can go while maintaining unlimited data.
Plan code is 89736. You can ask for it. Ymmv on Verizon letting you get the plan

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Serenity