Need a phone that is easiest to answer calls (my 4a 5g is impossible)

motuguest

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
My Pixel 2 XL became intermittent with Google maps and the online ideas for fixes did not work. So I bought a 4A-5G last month.

But answering calls is a nightmare. Call rings. I can't get to the green answer icon fast enough or if I tap it, it does not work. It goes to a second screen showing a call coming in where I have to tap again and nothing happens. Sometimes multiple tapping does nothing, and the caller hangs up. Other times I do get it to go to the answer screen where I then have to swipe up. Three screen displays to answer a phone? Dear Google: Despite all the bells and whistles, it still is a phone. I need an easier way to answer it than 3 screens.

Saying "Hey Google - answer phone" does not work. Not sure why, supposedly it is designed to work, but mine does not.

I need a phone with a simple way to answer - preferably a button like power, volume up or down. My Pixel camera app takes photographs using volume down, why not something similar for calls?

Kogan has agreed to take my phone back and send me a replacement (4A-5G out of stock) or refund my money. But what to buy? Kogan says all Android phones answer the same way. They think my glass may have a sensitivity problem, but I am wondering if peak Pixel was the 2-XL as one article wrote.

If you have a solution that means I can keep and enjoy the 4A-5G, let me know.

If you know how I can get the Pixel 2XL to make Google Maps work (weirdly WAZE works fine, but its voice commands are not as responsive), let me know and I will return the 4A-5G and eventually buy a replacement battery for the 2XL.

But barring that, please recommend a phone that works. I use it to

• Answer phone calls including Whats App
  • Take good photographs
  • Use google maps
  • Check gmail
  • Send and receive texts
  • Use Google web browser

Any Android phones that are easier to answer calls?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I don't think it has to do with the phone itself -- either there's something you're not doing quite right, or there's been some modification to the interface. Keep in mind that if you get a call when the phone's screen is off, you need to swipe up from the white circle, not just tap it: https://support.google.com/phoneapp/answer/2811745?hl=en.

If you get a call while you're actively using the phone (i.e., using an app, browsing the web, etc.), then you should get a notification at the top of the screen that a call is coming in -- there, you should be able to answer the call by just tapping the Answer button. The phone interface should then appear and the call should commence, without having to tap anything else. If the notification at the top of the screen goes away but the phone keeps ringing, then just swipe down the notification panel -- it should still be there for you to answer.

Do you have any Accessibility settings turned on? Also, does this happen in Safe Mode as well? https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/2852139?hl=en. If you installed some 3rd party app that is interfering with the calling interface, that should go away in Safe Mode.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Yep your phone's not working right for some reason.... pixels answer the same basic way as any other Android phone. Make sure you have Automatic Call Screening turned off.

kwd57

May 13, 2016
Visit site
My Pixel 2 XL became intermittent with Google maps and the online ideas for fixes did not work. So I bought a 4A-5G last month.

But answering calls is a nightmare. Call rings. I can't get to the green answer icon fast enough or if I tap it, it does not work. It goes to a second screen showing a call coming in where I have to tap again and nothing happens. Sometimes multiple tapping does nothing, and the caller hangs up. Other times I do get it to go to the answer screen where I then have to swipe up. Three screen displays to answer a phone? Dear Google: Despite all the bells and whistles, it still is a phone. I need an easier way to answer it than 3 screens.

Saying "Hey Google - answer phone" does not work. Not sure why, supposedly it is designed to work, but mine does not.

I need a phone with a simple way to answer - preferably a button like power, volume up or down. My Pixel camera app takes photographs using volume down, why not something similar for calls?

Kogan has agreed to take my phone back and send me a replacement (4A-5G out of stock) or refund my money. But what to buy? Kogan says all Android phones answer the same way. They think my glass may have a sensitivity problem, but I am wondering if peak Pixel was the 2-XL as one article wrote.

If you have a solution that means I can keep and enjoy the 4A-5G, let me know.

If you know how I can get the Pixel 2XL to make Google Maps work (weirdly WAZE works fine, but its voice commands are not as responsive), let me know and I will return the 4A-5G and eventually buy a replacement battery for the 2XL.

But barring that, please recommend a phone that works. I use it to

• Answer phone calls including Whats App
  • Take good photographs
  • Use google maps
  • Check gmail
  • Send and receive texts
  • Use Google web browser

Any Android phones that are easier to answer calls?
The pixel is the only Android phone that I have used that does not offer an option to tap to answer phone calls.
I bought my wife a pixel 5a and she hates it. Whoever invented the swipe to do anything, should have added the option to opt out of swiping.
I have been looking for some option to tap to answer, like on my Note9, but with no luck.
I was considering the flagship pixel for my next phone, but this reason alone may bring me back to a Samsung phone.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Bear in mind that one of the main reasons not to have a simple tap-to-answer option is to avoid accidental answering (or hanging up) if the phone rings while in a pocket or purse. Accidental touches can happen easily in that situation, which can be equally frustrating if it was an important call the user was waiting for.

You can try using Pixel's Voice Access feature, which allows the user to say "Answer call." https://support.google.com/accessibility/android/answer/6151854#zippy=,basics-navigation

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The pixel is the only Android phone that I have used that does not offer an option to tap to answer phone calls.
I bought my wife a pixel 5a and she hates it. Whoever invented the swipe to do anything, should have added the option to opt out of swiping.
I have been looking for some option to tap to answer, like on my Note9, but with no luck.
I was considering the flagship pixel for my next phone, but this reason alone may bring me back to a Samsung phone.
I use the pixel buds pro and tap to answer or end a call

Note20Sam

Feb 22, 2023
Visit site
Note 20 is no longer tap to wake the screen. Have to use the power button to wake. If the call is coming in the screen will wake and you can answer.