Netflix audio is only 2-channel stereo, not 5.1 when using Chromecast?

Kiersten_Kress

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
My SmartTV and PS3 can both get Netflix 5.1 audio. However, it appears that the Chromecast can only output Netflix audio in 2-channel stereo only....

Is there some setting that I need to change?

Thanks! :)

Benny879

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
My receiver picks up Dolby Digital Plus as long as the movie is encoded that way. If you press the text message bubble in the Netflix app during playback you can choose the audio format.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Sailindawg

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I hooked up my chromecast to my 5.1 home theater system, streamed Netflix and had 5.1 sound. Moved chromecast to my bedroom and had 3.1 sound through that tv's AVR. Didn't need to do anything extra.

Blazer

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
So... are you guys using a digital out from your TV to your receiver and getting 5.1 when watching content on your Chromecast? Or are you using an HDMI out to your receiver? I guess this feature depends on whether or not your TV passes 5.1 through or just stereo. I believe my older Panasonic TH-58PZ800U "digital out" only passes 5.1 when using its internal tuner. With input signal from other devices, it only outputs stereo.

In my current system, I use individual audio our from each device (ATT Uverse Box, PS3, and old VCR) to my receiver. I'm not sure what I would do with audio from Chromecast.

Sailindawg

May 10, 2012
Visit site
In my case, I have at least 10 year old AVR receivers . The 5.1 system uses analog cables from the TV to the receiver. The same for the 3.1 system. Both receivers have Dolby surround. I guess the receivers are taking stereo sound and changing the sound to 5.1 or 3.1 versus receiving 5.1 directly by way of HDMI cable. It all works in the end.

bitslop

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
Here is what happened with me:

2 different devices (Nexus 7, Galaxy Nexus)
Using Netflix, I used the movie "Super 8" as a test, since it has 5.1 audio normally.

When streaming on the Chromecast, initiated from the Nexus 7: only stereo, and that is my only selection option.
When streaming on the Chromecast, initiated from my VZW Galaxy Nexus: I can select from stereo, or 5.1 DD+. The later gives me full surround sound.

Both devices have up-to-date Netflix apps. Both devices are stock, and not rooted.

EDIT: I reset everything, and it seems to be working now normally when initiated from either device.

melvin7822

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
What do you mean by "you reset everything?" What exactly did you reset? When choosing items on either my Nexus 7 or Galaxy S3 that are encoded in 5.1 audio, I never have a 5.1 option on either device. I've already done a factory reset on my Chromecast and nothing has changed. What exactly do I need to do?

rickjs

May 5, 2010
Visit site
My receiver picks up Dolby Digital Plus as long as the movie is encoded that way. If you press the text message bubble in the Netflix app during playback you can choose the audio format.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4 Beta

OK. I give up. Where is a text message bubble during playback.? I can't find any such thing.

Last edited:

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
OK. I give up. Where is a text message bubble during playback.? I can't find any such thing.

In the Netflix app, on the top right should be a volume slider [during playback] .right next to that is something that looks like a speech bubble from a comic book. Tap it, and another window pops up audio/ subtitle /??? Options. Select the audio if there is a surround sound file available form the video it will appear here.

melvin7822

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
In the Netflix app, on the top right should be a volume slider [during playback] .right next to that is something that looks like a speech bubble from a comic book. Tap it, and another window pops up audio/ subtitle /??? Options. Select the audio if there is a surround sound file available form the video it will appear here.

Well, unfortunately I never have a surround option to choose from on titles that do show as 5.1. It seems like bitslop experienced the same thing. Wish I knew what he did to fix it.

rickjs

May 5, 2010
Visit site

Yeah, but.....there aren't any "options"...just "audio" and "subtitle" plus "cancel" and "done". How do you get "options"? Or, does that mean this particular flix doesn't have "options"?

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, but.....there aren't any "options"...just "audio" and "subtitle" plus "cancel" and "done". How do you get "options"? Or, does that mean this particular flix doesn't have "options"?
Tap audio and a new menu will pop up, it will list the options, even if there is only one. For example when my sons were watching Saved by the Bell last night only 2 channel stereo was available because the show was never broadcast in 5.1

To be clear I don't mean any thing labeled options just that there will be options to select from. Similarly for subtitle the options will choices be something like None, English, Spanish.

MSK59

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I have the box up there near the volume slider however the choices are limited: Audio has "Spanish" or "English" and Subtitle has "None", "Spanish", "English [CC]"

That's it. So, I guess the question remains, how does one get the selection for 5.1 surround? Is it content dependent (i.e. the movie has to be available on Netflix with it)? Or do I need to update the app?

Thanks,
Mark

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I have the box up there near the volume slider however the choices are limited: Audio has "Spanish" or "English" and Subtitle has "None", "Spanish", "English [CC]"

That's it. So, I guess the question remains, how does one get the selection for 5.1 surround? Is it content dependent (i.e. the movie has to be available on Netflix with it)? Or do I need to update the app?

Thanks,
Mark

That is where it will be.

AaronTV

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
I had 5.1 working yesterday and, today, I can't get anything but stereo no matter what device I initiate from. This is very odd to me. I'm trying to figure out the cause...

Edit: I did a factory reset and that did not help. Using Super 8 like someone else mentioned, I was able to select the Dolby Digital audio track but it makes no difference. In fact, it was using this by default anyway. If I toggle the audio track between stereo and 5.1, the stream reloads but the receiver just stays in stereo mode. This is all very odd because I know that 5.1 was working yesterday when I was using the device in the exact same configuration. Could a software update have broken this feature? For what it's worth, I've tried initiating playback from my Windows 8 Chrome browser, my Evo 4G LTE, and an iPad. They all result in stereo only at this point. Dolby Digital is working fine on the Xbox, so it seems something is wrong specifically with the Chromecast...

Edit #2: ...And then it just started working again the next day. Quirky.

Last edited:

jr461

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I am also having difficulty achieving 5.1. My receiver is an Onkyo and I am using the "direct" output, meaning it should play exactly as per the source (same as I have for Fios, where 5.1 on HDMI works fine). When I look at the display on the receiver when playing the movie (used Hunger Games to test since I know it is 5.1), rather than showing 3/2.1 as it would for 5.1, it shows "PCM fs 48kHz". Anyone have any clues? I am using an iPhone 4S to play netflix from the app and both the Chromecast and phone have full wifi signal.

jevans47

May 18, 2011
Visit site
New Chromecast, received 3 days ago. Same problem here on Netflix: 5.1 worked, then didn't, then did again. When it was not working, the only audio choice was English(Stereo), now the Audio choices (on this show):
English(Stereo)
English(DolbyDigitalPlus5.1)
Spanish(Stereo)
Spanish(DolbyDigitalPlus5.1)

I called Google, the first level claimed he had never heard of it. He put me on hold, found that others had heard but had no recommended solution. Claims a new software release to be pushed out next week....

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I am also having difficulty achieving 5.1. My receiver is an Onkyo and I am using the "direct" output, meaning it should play exactly as per the source (same as I have for Fios, where 5.1 on HDMI works fine). When I look at the display on the receiver when playing the movie (used Hunger Games to test since I know it is 5.1), rather than showing 3/2.1 as it would for 5.1, it shows "PCM fs 48kHz". Anyone have any clues? I am using an iPhone 4S to play netflix from the app and both the Chromecast and phone have full wifi signal.

The CC seems to send DD+ or stereo PCM as a fall back. A direct playback with 5.1 PCM encoded channels like I think you are expecting would require the CC to decode the DD+ stream and it seems pretty clear it won't do that. Does your AVR have the ability to decode DD+. If it doesn't you may be stuck with Stereo only.

I am convinced at this point we need to get in the habit of always disconnecting from the CC when done. I don't seem to have issues as long as I am starting from the "Ready to Cast" display, and my receiver is already on.

Last edited:

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Well, unfortunately I never have a surround option to choose from on titles that do show as 5.1. It seems like bitslop experienced the same thing. Wish I knew what he did to fix it.

It isn't the same as you as he was getting 5.1 under some circumstances, so far every post I have seen from you hasn't. I still am curious as to what exact AVR you have. You never answered that question from the other thread. The example you gave for how you validated it supports DD+ was invalid, so knowing what AVR you have would really help in understanding your situation.