New battery draining quickly

chienne

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
I bought an after market batter AGAIN thinking I needed a new one as it was draining quickly and the phone is on the charger at least twice a day. I've let it drain completely and recharged and even though I'm not using it all the time and have app killer and have uninstalled some apps, the battery is still draining fast. I've never like this phone much since I got it, much prefer the G2 and before that the HTC. Any hints or is it just another piece of junk? It seems to overheat too. I'm a bit pissy about it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! A few things to note:

1. Don't use task killers--it often ends up being counterproductive. Android wants to keep RAM reasonably full, to make app opening and switching faster and more efficient. If you have a task killer that is automatically killing apps, then the system will either open it up again, or open up some other app in its place. The act of killing an app and opening an app takes some energy, so if this is happening frequently, it can contribute to battery drain. See these articles for more info:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ambassador-guides-tips-how-tos/380592-guide-ram-android.html
RAM: What it is, how it's used, and why you shouldn't care | Android Central

2. Do you have an SD card inserted? A corrupt card can cause overheating and battery drain, since the system's Media Scanner can get hung up on the corrupt file. Unmount the card (in Settings>Storage), remove it, and reboot. See if the battery drain improves.

3. Try using a friend's S4 battery--I would guess that you know someone else with an S4 as well. Ask them to trade batteries for a day. If your phone still drains quickly, and if your friend's phone doesn't, then you know it isn't a battery problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teresa Belmonte