New Battery, Old Problem

BarbaraDG

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
I bought a new battery, installed it Monday. I still have the same problem of excessive rapid battery drain. I uninstalled several apps Tuesday - no change. It was on the charger all day and all night yesterday/last night, and when I turned it on this morning it only had a 67% charge. Every day it charges less, just like the original battery. It has dropped 2% just while typing this message! I am thinking that I may need to send it to the factory or doing a reset to default. If I do the latter, will I get Kit Kat back, or Lollipop? What would you moderators advise?

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It sounds as if there's some hardware problem with your Tab. Hopefully, if you send it for warranty repair/replacement, they will not be able to tell you opened it up and changed the battery. Do you have the screen very bright or dim or moderate. The screen can definitely draw power. Is it a wifi unit or data connected unit? If it has trouble finding a data signal that can draw down power, too.

Good luck

D Android

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
If I do the latter, will I get Kit Kat back, or Lollipop?
Resetting the tab to factory defaults will not give you KitKat back, you will still be on Lollipop if you installed it, but you will obviously lose all data stored internally so back it up first.

BarbaraDG

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
My tablet is exclusively WiFi. I tried dimming the screen, and it had little effect. I tried a portable power pack to charge it, and a different data cable, and again, no effect, so I am sure that it is inside the tablet, at the connection. It makes the sound that is commonly made when connecting, but it makes it often even when the tablet is perfectly still. It may only be a coincidence that this started after installing Lollipop, but that is when it began. I will try to call Samsung on Monday, but I'm pretty sure this unit needs to be sent in for repair. Naturally, it is out of warranty, and my desktop won't run due to needing a new motherboard. I am so................depressed. 😯

An FYI heads up: I played a lot of Spider Solitataire (Mobilityware app) and it "burned" an image on my screen. It is slight, but always evident. It is a line of evenly spaced rectangles, the size of the base line of cards. I cannot recommend that app!

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
I bought a new battery, installed it Monday. I still have the same problem of excessive rapid battery drain. I uninstalled several apps Tuesday - no change. It was on the charger all day and all night yesterday/last night, and when I turned it on this morning it only had a 67% charge. Every day it charges less, just like the original battery. It has dropped 2% just while typing this message! I am thinking that I may need to send it to the factory or doing a reset to default. If I do the latter, will I get Kit Kat back, or Lollipop? What would you moderators advise?
It's common problem of samsung tablets: quick discharge, battery fluctuation. You know how to change battery so I think this fix is not difficult, just asking someone to re solder the battery connector. This re work only takes under 5 minutes so I don't think it's expensive to ask someone to do the work. It's cheaper than to send it to Samsung for repair and I'm not sure they can troubleshoot it correctly.

3100 Battery Connector.jpg

BarbaraDG

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Soldering the battery connector? There was nothing soldered on the original battery, and none done on the new one. The installation video mentioned nothing about soldering, either. Would you please elaborate on exactly what needs soldering? Maybe a photo if you can provide one? I'd be so appreciative!

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
I already posted the picture, it's not exactly but similar to your tablet. Battery connector is the connector on main board where you plug the battery to supply power to your tablet or for charging, don't confuse with the white connector of battery cable. This black connector as seen in the picture has six pins which has cracked solders. These open joints will cause problem of charging or battery's capacity fluctuation or quick discharge, they can be seen easily under microscope.

You only need to open the rear cover, disconnect battery cable, then ask someone to re solder these six pins . There is no need to remove the mainboard, anyone knows how to do re work can do it under 5 minutes.

This is a defect seen in many Samsung tablets but I see most of users here don't understand or don't believe it's the source of problem. No updates or software tricks will fix this hardware problem: battery connector's cracked solder joints.
The video you mentioned may be the instruction to replace new battery, it's not related to what I discuss here.

Last edited:

BarbaraDG

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
I bought a new OEM charger and cord, and all my problems have disappeared. I'm not sure which was at fault, but no matter. Thanks for all the ideas and help!