New EVO owner! need advise.

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central and the HTC EVO.

There are lots of apps and ways to customize your EVO, but a lot of that depends on what you want to do and how you want to use it.

There is an App forum on AC and you ca see a lot of application news there.

EVO-lutionary

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
What are some of the must have apps to get the most out of my new EVO. Just switched from blackberry.
I was in your shoes a couple of weeks ago haven't came over from a mePhone. You have made the right choice!!! The EVO is amazing and the Devs who stay up late at night cooking up ROMS and mods for it really make it the best smart phone in the world. The first big question you have to ask yourself is: Should I ROOT the phone? This is because the answer will determine which apps you can and cannot have. Rooting is Easy, a 5 year old could do it for the EVO. It doesn't have an immediate impact on the phone but rather allows you to unlock your phones potential and get Apps right from the market which will do things like make your battery last much longer and do full phone backups. Now, its not cool with Sprint so you do want to remember to follow the instructions TO THE LETTER so that you will be able to unROOT the phone if you ever need it worked on, because if you bring them a rooted phone they will not honor your warranty. I should point out that this can BRICK your phone(make it useless) although this late in the game I can't even begin to describe how unlikely that might be to happen on a phone thats been out this long. If you follow simple instructions, rooting is safe and reversable!

Here are some apps you will want. I put a *** by the ones that require you to be rooted.

Wireless Tether*** Lets you share your phones connection with several other phone/ipod/tabs/pcs. Do NOT pay $30 a month to sprint for this just root the phone and have it for free!

SetCPU***: Cuts the power to your chip by like 75% when screen is off so that you save a lot of battery.

Titanium Backup*** Good thing to have because even if you were to drop your phone and break it as long as you can manage to save the SD card you can restore this backup to the new phone. or if you you decide to mess around with custom ROMS(no need for me to explain those here you will learn of the darkside soon enough!).

AdFree*** Like AdBlock plus but works on the entire phone.

Apps2SD*** Lets you install apps to your SD card instead of your teeny little internal memory. Just don't put any apps in there that you use constantly cuz MicroSD reads a lot slower.

LauncherPlus: Replaces SenseUI with one thats fully customizable. It wont look as nice at first until you learn how to make it, but it will run faster and you can change it in a lot more ways than Sense.

PowerAmp There are many media players this is the one I have stuck with so far.

GoSMS/Handcent These are 2 GREAT replacements for the stock Messenger app which while it works is not very nice to look at. You can REALLY pimp your SMS app with these two and they are more or less better in every way.

Browser!Default Broswer stinks get Opera Mini, Dolphin or one of the countless others.

MapQuest/Google Navigation Do NOT pay Sprint a month fee for turn by turn Navigation. You can get it for free from these two free apps. MapQuest is brand new so i dont know which is better.

Where's My Droid? You can never lose your phone even if it's stolen.

Voice SearchWATCH THIS VIDEO! This is THE BEST THING YOU WILL HAVE ON YOUR PHONE. PERIOD.

ShootMe Normally this requires Root however on the newer Evos like ours, it works fine without it and its the only way to take ScreenShots from your phone without the PC being hooked up.

Now, I am not an Android Expert. By ANY stretch of the imagination! I have learned fast by utilizing these forums and my common Sense(geeky andriod pun intended). At this point I am running my Evo with CyanogenMod 7 which is a 2.3 Gingerbread ASOP based ROM(Meaning it is based directly on Andriod without Sense or Blur in the middle ****ing things up). Here are some Screens of my phone just to give you an idea.

5472501807_4832d47459_b.jpg

5473095936_d49829bc67_b.jpg

5472501867_29b7476964_b.jpg

5472501703_85cbea917b_b.jpg

5472501753_8e6042b311_b.jpg

5472501921_28450477b2_b.jpg

5473095888_a4af2343cd_b.jpg

5473096000_7df7063138_b.jpg

Last edited:

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Since when do you have to pay sprint for turn by turn navigation?

You don't, it's part of any of the plans that you have as an EVO owner. EVO-lutionary was mistaken because of the "premium" version that is available after the update (I believe it was available before, it was just made more obvious).

Note the "Get Premium" button at the bottom right of the first screen below. The added features with the premium version are shown in the screen to the right.

snap20110224_103405.png
snap20110224_103414.png

Here is the plan information from Sprint:
This plan includes

* Any Mobile, Anytime: Unlimited domestic calls from the Sprint network to and from ANY U.S. mobile phone regardless of carrier. Any network, any time.
* Unlimited data on our network: Web surfing, email, BlackBerry Internet Services (BIS), GPS Navigation, Sprint TV and Radio, NASCAR Sprint Cup MobileSM
* Unlimited messaging: Text, pictures and video
* Talk: Night calling and weekends starting at 7 p.m., nationwide long distance and no roaming charges

The GPS Navigation that they reference is Sprint Navigation that the recent update dropped Sprint's name over the TeleNav product.

EVO-lutionary

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
My mistake I was told by the all knowing sales associate when I got my phone to use google navigation because Sprint charged you a usage fee per day every time you used it.

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
My mistake I was told by the all knowing sales associate when I got my phone to use google navigation because Sprint charged you a usage fee per day every time you used it.

No worries, it's pretty sad that some Sprint associates aren't educated better about what the company offers.

I have personally used Sprint Navigation since my Blackberry days and multiple times since I went to the EVO and I like it better than the navigation through Google Maps because I like the ability for it to check traffic and adjust my route or time to destination and I think the voice prompts sound nicer. The TTS library that Google uses sounds pretty harsh to me. Not to mention that it has only been recently that Google Maps had a way to give Turn-By-Turn directions.