New G3 rooted out of box.

jshaw1976

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
Hey, got a NIB (supposedly) G3 recently. Making the jump from Windows.
It's the T-mobile version and I'm using it with AT&T.
Problem -- It is still on 4.4.2. I expected a couple updates once I got it up and running. At least to 5.x, possibly 6.0 as it appears that's what T-mobile is currently offering on this phone -- as of August.
No updates have arrived and I've been searching forums for hours trying to figure out a work around. It won't update via LG PC suite and I haven't gotten it to work through the LG mobile support tool.
So just for kicks and grins I d/l'd a root checker and it says I'm rooted! No idea why that would be. Any thoughts?

So no my searching has changed to how to upgrade it manually.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Carrier-specific phones typically need to be on that carrier's network to receive official system updates over the air.

If the rooting thing is concerning enough to you, contact the seller and ask for an exchange or refund.

jshaw1976

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
I wasn't bothered by the root other than curiosity about how it happened.
Regardless - eventually I was able to flash it back to stock. I originally got it bricked in "factory update status 2" mode. Apparently that was due to an incorrect setting in the flash tool -- the "Update" check box needed to be set to "Board". Once I did that and reflashed everything worked great.
And after a full day's worth of OTA's it worked its way up to 6.0 (30e).
NOW I'm reading on how to root 30e so I can get rid of all this T-mobile junk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caroltheresa61