New hands on video and information from Samsung

Xxtoxicskittlexx

Aug 22, 2018
Visit site
It's a plastic screen. There will be a crease. People need to get over it. Can't be glass yet. We aren't there yet technologically especially on high commercial yields. Also people wanting a stylus. Samsung isnt doing that and probably wont because they have the note 9 for that. Can you imagine walking around town with a mini tablet with your stylus ? LOL

alanjc

Mar 28, 2019
Visit site
It's a plastic screen. There will be a crease. People need to get over it. Can't be glass yet. We aren't there yet technologically especially on high commercial yields. Also people wanting a stylus. Samsung isnt doing that and probably wont because they have the note 9 for that. Can you imagine walking around town with a mini tablet with your stylus ? LOL
I've always assumed there would be a crease, and I'm still buying one. But there's no denying the fact that Samsung said there wouldn't be a crease after the leaked hands on videos appeared.

I've contacted Vincent who wrote that article. He says he's at a Samsung office this Thursday so he will ask why they made that statement when there is definitely a crease.

My hypothesis is that they can indeed make one with no crease when it's new, but in time one will develop anyway, so they did it in purpose to stop everyone complaining in a few months and causing them problems.

icwhatudidthere

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I've always assumed there would be a crease, and I'm still buying one. But there's no denying the fact that Samsung said there wouldn't be a crease after the leaked hands on videos appeared.

I've contacted Vincent who wrote that article. He says he's at a Samsung office this Thursday so he will ask why they made that statement when there is definitely a crease.

My hypothesis is that they can indeed make one with no crease when it's new, but in time one will develop anyway, so they did it in purpose to stop everyone complaining in a few months and causing them problems.

I think that's more the case of a regional rep making a statement that really shouldn't have been made. I hadn't heard it myself and outside of this one reference, I don't find any other reference to Samsung claims of a creaseless Fold. Certainly no official press releases were made.

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site
Interesting. Thank you.

Nice find. Nothing equivocal about that statement from Samsung. I don’t understand all the hate on the crease. I mean I think it’s unavoidable. Doesn’t bother me that much. I’m really surprised at all the hating on this phone. It’s pretty much my dream device come true. It’s not perfect but there are always going to be compromises if you want a hybrid device. No different than the current slab phablets. Trade offs are always made.

alanjc

Mar 28, 2019
Visit site
Nice find. Nothing equivocal about that statement from Samsung. I don’t understand all the hate on the crease. I mean I think it’s unavoidable. Doesn’t bother me that much. I’m really surprised at all the hating on this phone. It’s pretty much my dream device come true. It’s not perfect but there are always going to be compromises if you want a hybrid device. No different than the current slab phablets. Trade offs are always made.
People will find reasons to hate on things as a justification of why they aren't buying it. Look at iPhone hate, always gets on to it's too locked down and too expensive within a few posts. It seems like not posting or just saying they don't like it isn't good enough nowadays.

alanjc

Mar 28, 2019
Visit site
The notch doesn't bother me at all, however I just had a thought about one of the reasons they have it at all. Plastic and glass have different refractive indexes, so it may be that thin plastic wasn't good enough for the image quality. And if there are any micro abrasions after months of cleaning, that would make the images look pretty terrible, but on the display it wouldn't affect the quality much.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
People will find reasons to hate on things as a justification of why they aren't buying it. Look at iPhone hate, always gets on to it's too locked down and too expensive within a few posts. It seems like not posting or just saying they don't like it isn't good enough nowadays.

Disagree.....I can't speak for everyone but I don't hate any device and don't need to use hate to justify not buying something. If I see something I wouldn't buy, I express the reasons why.
Using your example, If someone states the iPhone is too locked down and too expensive maybe it's because they feel that way.

It seems people get wounded when a device they own or intend to own gets criticised and then they have to justify buying it. I always buy what I like and if after buying it I don't like it, I buy something else. Usually I do enough research and for the most part I get it right and enjoy what I own.

I say to those who want to spend their money on the Fold to go for it and ignore all of the babble.