New Phone: Incredible vs. Thunderbolt? Should I save my $$$?

imathteacher

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I have a barely-usable blackberry (recently resuscitated, but it's on life support) that I can't wait to replace on the 16th, when my Verizon contract can be renewed.

I just preordered the Thunderbolt at Best Buy. I also ordered a case and screen protector (but those are returnable). However, is it worth it to pay $100-$150 more to get a larger, 4G version of the Incredible?

I use my phone for:

1. talking
2. texting
3. email
4. (occasional puzzle game)
5. (monthly Google search)

So my data usage isn't extreme. However, when I use it, I need it to respond fast.

I'm told the Thunderbolt's Pros for me are:
  • 4G-LTE (I live in Maryland, a big 4G zone, so it'll be a little faster),
  • Froyo with future updates (always fond of upgradable technology that won't fall behind as fast),
  • unibody aluminum body (more likely to last in a purse or survive a little fall - that's why it's important, right?),
  • noise canceling mic (helps in noisy areas, and using this for business will help - does the Incredible really not have this!?)
  • 32gb card with 8gbs internal (always nice to hold more data, but then I may use it more - my BB has 150mb (yes, mb) internal, 8gb card - the Incredible is just missing the 32gb card, right? is that worth $100)
  • bigger battery (does it account for the increased battery usage?)
  • bigger screen (more surface area to see and bigger keyboard)
  • too large? (only 5mm wider and no thicker than my BB Storm. It should still fit my purse and hand. (123 x 67 x 14mm = Thunderbolt; 112.5 x 62.2 x 14mm - BB Storm)

So is it worth it to get the bigger, more expensive Droid Thunderbolt, rather than the original Droid Incredible?

$150 is a lot of money for a tutor just starting to be self-employed full-time. But better technology means I may have a TI graphing calc on my phone or other cool tools I could definitely use.

Thanks for your help!
Ali

rsk2mc

Banned
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I would say, save your money wait till july and get the Dinc 2 when it comes out. Assumed to be snapdragon duel core.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
If you live in an lte area i think it's reasonable to get the tbolt on a 1 year. if you gotta do a 2 year i think that makes it a little more gray, but i would guess that the tbolt will still be a strong device after a year and a half, if not exactly up to speed for games or os 2.4.

edit
and there are no specs yet for the incredible 2, and if it really is going to come out in q1 like has been leaked, i would assume it does not have dual core.

also, the incredible 1 is a great phone, but a 2 year contract on it right now would be shooting yourself in the foot if you want your phone to be near cutting edge

Reactions: imathteacher

bigk

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Well, I would go with the Thunderbolt. The Incredible is a GREAT phone but it's almost a year since it was released. (April 2010?) Last thing you want to do is get tied to a two year contract on a Incredible now.

I would say get the Thunderbolt. It offers every thing the Incredible can do and MORE.

The only two reason's I can think to not get the thunderbolt is the pricing for the 4g plans and the large screen. (The screen might be to too big for you.... depends on the person.)

Reactions: imathteacher

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Another thing is, since you're concerned about the price, 1 year plans are more expensive (70 dollars extra for the phone than on a 2 year).

The bigger screen on the tbolt will make browsing the web and typing a little smoother and easier.

If you really don't use the internet much on the phone, and only really plan to text email and call and do occasional stuff, the incredible does all that nicely. And 3g speeds are fast enough for that definitely. 4g is more for like streaming video, etc.

That being said, the tbolt will be a bigger, more incredible incredible, and i think a 2 year contract for it could be reasonable if you're not going to drive yourself crazy with new phone envy a year from now.

Pierpoint

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
also, the incredible 1 is a great phone, but a 2 year contract on it right now would be shooting yourself in the foot if you want your phone to be near cutting edge

Last thing you want to do is get tied to a two year contract on a Incredible now.

You seeing a recurring theme here? They're right. I came from a 9550 Storm 2, to the Incredible; love every aspect of it.

Here's how I did it:

1. Go to your city's Craigslist
  2. Buy a used Incredible for $100
  3. Use it and enjoy the differences from your Storm (and the fact that you didn't burn your upgrade).
  4. Then after you've had the opportunity to read the user reviews of the T-Bolt, make a well-informed decision about what direction to take next. During which time, you can leisurely set aside a few bucks here and there for your upgrade to whichever device you decide on.

Optionally, you could drop your Incredible back on Craigslist when you upgrade. Although, I plan on keeping mine.

P.s. - A $100 Incredible might have a couple knicks and such in the body and battery door. I just bought a new, white door and housing for $18. Phone looks and acts brand new after the restore.

Last edited:

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
You seeing a recurring theme here? They're right. I came from a 9550 Storm 2, to the Incredible; love every aspect of it.

Here's how I did it:

1. Go to your city's Craigslist
  2. Buy a used Incredible for $100
  3. Use it and enjoy the differences from your Storm (and the fact that you didn't burn your upgrade).
  4. Then after you've had the opportunity to read the user reviews of the T-Bolt, make a well-informed decision about what direction to take next. During which time, you can leisurely set aside a few bucks here and there for your upgrade to whichever device you decide on.

Optionally, you could drop your Incredible back on Craigslist when you upgrade. Although, I plan on keeping mine.

P.s. - A $100 Incredible might have a couple knicks and such in the body and battery door. I just bought a new, white door and housing for $18. Phone looks and acts brand new after the restore.

Yeah i thought about suggesting that (similar thing to what i did a few months ago, but i got it off a friend of mine, and still have my upgrade available since august....

But the extra up-front expense of buying the used phone sort of defeats the purpose of saving money in the first place.

Of course, you can probably sell the phone back on ebay or something for between 100 and 300 depending on the condition it's in, but that doesn't really help now if you're on a budget.

edit
but that is a nice way to get the best of both, if you can afford it in the meantime, and see what else comes out or if the tbolt is what you really want after all

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I have the Droid Incredible and it is still a great device. I like the size of the screen and it works amazingly fast. If it is a cost issue for you, I really think you can't go wrong with the Incredible. If you decide to get one off Craigslist be careful. And tell the seller you want to meet them at a Verizon store. Don't let them meet you anywhere else. I have heard stories of people buying a device on Craiglslist and then they find out it is a stolen or "locked esn" due to not paying their bill. People will try to do anything these days for a buck. So when you are making a buying decision on Craigslist you need to be careful. I have sold two BB's on Craigslist and I met them at a Verizon store. This also says you are legit and very interested. I know there are honest people on Craiglist but there are those who aren't as well.
The Thunderbolt will be able to run on 3G as well and you can also talk and use data at the same time. It will need an extended battery, same with the Incredible and I have two 1800 mAH still thin for the original battery cover and I can get 12-15 hours depending on the usage.

You can't go wrong with the Incredible or Thunderbolt. It is all up to you

moliva1568

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
How much do you think a 2mo old incredible can be sold for? I would be the seller so I'd like as much as reasonably possible. Best venue to sell?

Thanks

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
How much do you think a 2mo old incredible can be sold for? I would be the seller so I'd like as much as reasonably possible. Best venue to sell?

Thanks

I would search on ebay for one that's in similar condition (like new i suppose) and if u have the box and accessories, etc., but i would guess somewhere between 250 and 350. (edit, that it could be higher or lower, it really depends how many are around ebay when you're selling it, and who wants it)

Dunno if you could get more someplace else. And i'm with the post above by jude, i would use ebay before craigslist.

Pierpoint

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I have the Droid Incredible and it is still a great device. I like the size of the screen and it works amazingly fast. If it is a cost issue for you, I really think you can't go wrong with the Incredible. If you decide to get one off Craigslist be careful. And tell the seller you want to meet them at a Verizon store. Don't let them meet you anywhere else. I have heard stories of people buying a device on Craiglslist and then they find out it is a stolen or "locked esn" due to not paying their bill. People will try to do anything these days for a buck. So when you are making a buying decision on Craigslist you need to be careful. I have sold two BB's on Craigslist and I met them at a Verizon store. This also says you are legit and very interested. I know there are honest people on Craiglist but there are those who aren't as well.
The Thunderbolt will be able to run on 3G as well and you can also talk and use data at the same time. It will need an extended battery, same with the Incredible and I have two 1800 mAH still thin for the original battery cover and I can get 12-15 hours depending on the usage.

You can't go wrong with the Incredible or Thunderbolt. It is all up to you

This is true. If the seller has nothing to hide, they'll give you the MEID and you can call 611 from your current VZW phone and a CSR would be glad to check the status of the device for you. ;)

ilhe1s

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
DO NOT GET THE THUNDERBOLT IF YOU ALREADY HAVE THE INCREDIBLE! I REPEAT, DO NOT GET THE THUNDERBOLT IF YOU ALREADY HAVE THE INCREDIBLE!

-The Thunderbolt specs are not that much better.
-Are you going to use the front facing camera and 4G that often?

Wait for an HTC device with dual core and better specs.

rpfarrah

May 3, 2010
Visit site
DO NOT GET THE THUNDERBOLT IF YOU ALREADY HAVE THE INCREDIBLE! I REPEAT, DO NOT GET THE THUNDERBOLT IF YOU ALREADY HAVE THE INCREDIBLE!

FWIW, I agree. I'm going to wait. :cool:

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I plan on upgrading to the TB mainly because of the screen size and my addiction to new phones. I have one line up for an upgrade now and one more in 5 months so if something better comes I will give my wife the TB and I'll get the new one.

Ludicrous

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I have a barely-usable blackberry (recently resuscitated, but it's on life support) that I can't wait to replace on the 16th, when my Verizon contract can be renewed.

I just preordered the Thunderbolt at Best Buy. I also ordered a case and screen protector (but those are returnable). However, is it worth it to pay $100-$150 more to get a larger, 4G version of the Incredible?

I use my phone for:

1. talking
2. texting
3. email
4. (occasional puzzle game)
5. (monthly Google search)

So my data usage isn't extreme. However, when I use it, I need it to respond fast.

I'm told the Thunderbolt's Pros for me are:
  • 4G-LTE (I live in Maryland, a big 4G zone, so it'll be a little faster),
  • Froyo with future updates (always fond of upgradable technology that won't fall behind as fast),
  • unibody aluminum body (more likely to last in a purse or survive a little fall - that's why it's important, right?),
  • noise canceling mic (helps in noisy areas, and using this for business will help - does the Incredible really not have this!?)
  • 32gb card with 8gbs internal (always nice to hold more data, but then I may use it more - my BB has 150mb (yes, mb) internal, 8gb card - the Incredible is just missing the 32gb card, right? is that worth $100)
  • bigger battery (does it account for the increased battery usage?)
  • bigger screen (more surface area to see and bigger keyboard)
  • too large? (only 5mm wider and no thicker than my BB Storm. It should still fit my purse and hand. (123 x 67 x 14mm = Thunderbolt; 112.5 x 62.2 x 14mm - BB Storm)

So is it worth it to get the bigger, more expensive Droid Thunderbolt, rather than the original Droid Incredible?

$150 is a lot of money for a tutor just starting to be self-employed full-time. But better technology means I may have a TI graphing calc on my phone or other cool tools I could definitely use.

Thanks for your help!
Ali

I think anytime you trade even or even better, up, is a good thing, i'm looking at the Thunderbolt myself, i have an Incredible that i'm very happy with, which is the reason why i'm not going for the Verizon iPhone. I don't want to take a step backwards, people paying all that money for an old phone is ridiculous, especially when a new iphone will be out in a few months, so much for the smart consumer.

I stop in Best buy but they didn't have a Thunderbolt on hand but said its close to the Evo in size, i don't like pre-ordering a phone which doesn't have a release date yet, but i will look at it when it comes out with Verizon. Good Luck... the phone seems strong.

bdragon

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I too grew tired of my BB Storm and searched around for advice. I bought a Dinc on eBay and I'm very happy I did. Just the fact it didn't cost much and I still have my upgrade available, made me happy. I got the Dinc as something to hold me over till the Tbolt came out, but I think I'll hold onto and use it, to see what comes out later this year. The Dinc is a very solid device but I wouldn't waste an upgrade on it, especially like how it's almost a year old.

Issemann

May 20, 2010
Visit site

How about the Motorola Droid Bionic? Looks to have better specs than the TB. I have an 8 month old Dinc, but would love to upgrade to a bigger screen.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

the OP doesnt have either yet

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
I plan on upgrading to the TB mainly because of the screen size and my addiction to new phones. I have one line up for an upgrade now and one more in 5 months so if something better comes I will give my wife the TB and I'll get the new one.

I have this same exact setup. Next upgrade on different line comes in June.

Bears

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Hey OP, I have a DINC I used for less than 4 months that's for sale. It's in excellent condition and the only reason I have it is because I went back to a BB Bold. PM me if you're interested. You could spare yourself using an upgrade this way and save it for something later.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iyekdroidcentral2