New phone suggestions?

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I wanted to get my wife a new phone soon. She is currently using a Samsung flip phone and decided she needs a smart phone, but isn't that heavy of a user or have a lot of requirements. We are on Verizon, and was bummed to see all carriers have eliminated the subsidized phones like I was able to get in July (an LG G4), so we are trying not to spend a lot. Her requirements are ease of use for doing basic things like voice calls, text, a little Internet and quick photos. Standby battery life, good reception, somewhat compact size, and legible screen outdoors are also important. Things like processor speed, gaming, music, and watching videos are NOT important.
Any suggestions for a good bang-for-our-buck Verizon phone?
Thanks .

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Droid Maxx 2 would be a good option for you guys. Not too expensive. Good camera, great battery life, good screen. Not too big.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Might be a better size than the Droid Maxx2 sydneycooper1979 mentioned, but specs aren't as good. Will drag her to a Verizon store to check them out.
In terms of performance, it wouldn't be far off. The Droid mini is pretty peppy. Of course it won't get lollipop.

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
In terms of performance, it wouldn't be far off. The Droid mini is pretty peppy. Of course it won't get lollipop.
read the screen isn't great...any thoughts on screen quality? My wife won't be watching HD movies, but will need to read emails or texts outdoors.

SandersJC1964

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
My father has one and he loves it. He's almost 80 and wears glasses but has no trouble reading from the screen. He wants to use his upgrade to get a new one, lol.

Posted via the Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
read the screen isn't great...any thoughts on screen quality? My wife won't be watching HD movies, but will need to read emails or texts outdoors.

It's not bad. The screen is HD. It isn't as good as current displays but still plenty bright even outdoors. The Droid mini is my choice for those who want a small screen but good performance (relatively). If you want a larger even then there are lots of better options.

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Suggestions are like noses, everyone has one. Only you know what you want in a phone.

It's for my wife, who HATES to shop for electronics...what she wants is small size, good standby battery life, decent screen outdoors, cheap, and as frustration-free as possible. My only experience with smart phones is my LG G4 (which is way to big for her), so thought I'd reach out to the community for some ideas ;).

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
It is a good choice if you want ios and small phone

I think we've decided to go with the iPhone SE. My wife is very non-tech, and hope she would have less stress with a iOS device than all the little issues I have with my G4, and she's already somewhat familiar with iOS through our iPad. More of her friends have iPhones so she could get help in the field. We never considered iPhones before due to the cost, but with the promo for $0 (actually, we would bump it up to the 64GB version, which is $50), it makes the most sense.
Thaks for all the suggestions!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MelmanVT