New Plans... tell me if this would work....

coreyh74

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
So heres the deal. I have 4 lines currently on the 700 minute family plan. 2 of the lines are smartphones with unlimited data, and 2 of the lines are dumbphones with no data. The reason for the 2 lines with dumbphones is simply extra upgrade lines. If I was to not use the upgrade on the smartphone lines, but use the upgrades on the dumbphone lines, and then transfer that phone over to my smartphone line, there would be no problem with that right? What I would do is when I get the upgraded phones, activate them on the dumbphone line, and then immediately reactivate the dumbphone on that line, and put the new smartphone on one of the main lines. Thats the easiest way I can explain that, tell me if it makes sense, and if its possible.

honex97

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I came here to ask that exact same question. I would love to know if that will work cause I will add a line

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
So heres the deal. I have 4 lines currently on the 700 minute family plan. 2 of the lines are smartphones with unlimited data, and 2 of the lines are dumbphones with no data. The reason for the 2 lines with dumbphones is simply extra upgrade lines. If I was to not use the upgrade on the smartphone lines, but use the upgrades on the dumbphone lines, and then transfer that phone over to my smartphone line, there would be no problem with that right? What I would do is when I get the upgraded phones, activate them on the dumbphone line, and then immediately reactivate the dumbphone on that line, and put the new smartphone on one of the main lines. Thats the easiest way I can explain that, tell me if it makes sense, and if its possible.

It sounds possible.

honex97

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
So I called Verizon and asked them and the rep told me that after the 28th if you do anything to your plan you lose unlimited data. For example if you change your minutes no more unlimited data if you upgrade a phone even if its not the line with unlimited data your entire plan will change if you cancel a phone no more unlimited data. So as much as I was hoping for that its not gonna work according to him

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
So I called Verizon and asked them and the rep told me that after the 28th if you do anything to your plan you lose unlimited data. For example if you change your minutes no more unlimited data if you upgrade a phone even if its not the line with unlimited data your entire plan will change if you cancel a phone no more unlimited data. So as much as I was hoping for that its not gonna work according to him

Maybe the rep gave that answer to discourage you from pulling the device switch "trick".

riddles_xD

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
No, unfortunately this seems to be the case. I spoke with a Verizon rep at their store and also customer service. The deal seems to be if you upgrade any line, the whole plan is forced to change to data share, which means no more unlimited. The one way around this that I found is if the plan is moving to data share, individual lines can jump off and get their own minutes to keep unlimited data.

mail4diop

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
not true. If you upgrade a line then you would have to choose a stand along data plan starting at $30 for 2 GB or u can move to the share. No one is forcing you to do anything you will have the choice.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
not true. If you upgrade a line then you would have to choose a stand along data plan starting at $30 for 2 GB or u can move to the share. No one is forcing you to do anything you will have the choice.

The only thing forced is the move out of unlimited data.

Existing customers have the choice to move to tiered individual data or change the plan to Share Everything.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Noble_Logistics

May 28, 2011
Visit site

I want to drop the hot spot on our phones, (wife never uses hers and I rarely use mine) but I'm wondering if I can reinstate it after the 28th without losing unlimited data.

The savings would pay for the new off contract phones.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I wonder what happens if I remove a line from my unlimited plan.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
My understanding is that if you make any changes to your contract, the operative word is ANY, then you will lose unlimited data. My guess is Verizon plans to remove the option in their system to have unlimited data grandfathered on any contract. The system will reject the contract. This will prevent managers and others from being able to do overrides or restores. Will be interesting to see how draconian the new system will be, just my guess is that the ANY change to the contract wording means just that, so if you want to make a change I would do so before 6-28.

I still question the wisdom of adding a standard line to get an upgrade. The top smartphones cost $250-$299 plus a $30 upgrade fee +$240 ($10x24) plus the monthly line taxes that could be adding $100 to the deal. So the cost of the phone will be $600+. Seems like you could buy the phone outright by looking for good deals.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbeve