New Rezound...ready to ROM!

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Got the new Rezound today. My Dinc was unrevoked so I could install the wifi, but I think I want to take this one further.

Thanks to MrSmith317 and his remarkable guide, I feel like I am close to being ready.

Two things...one, since I see so many people having issues with ICS (mostly battery?), would I not be better off going with a GB ROM for now till the official release? I was liking the look of CleanROM, but I see it's ICS based...suggestions? Mostly, I want a debloated, lean ROM with root and wifi. I value stability over bleeding edge features.

Second, here's my strategy...see if I am on the right track?

1- unlock using MrSmith317's guide (I have the SDK installed and updating the packages now)

2- Install a new rooted ROM using their instructions

3- Wait on s-off till I see if the device has any hardware issues (for returns sake)

-OR-

Should I s-off now, before the ICS firmware/hboot update comes over the air from Verizon, in case the official update breaks the s-off ability?

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Scott has a CleanROM GBE 1.7 that I use. And I have no intention of switching because this thing works perfectly. ICS has some things of interest, but not enough for me to switch.

Rooted, S-ON, CleanROM GBE 1.7

Rockin' it!

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
I went ahead and did the CleanROM Pro.

So far, so good...

One question though...since I did the firmware patch for that ROM, am I still on GB firmware? I used the files in Scott's instructions for s-on and GB firmware, and now I don't know quite where I stand on this. (where do I get firmware info anyway? It's not listed in phone info)

Asking in case I want to try BAMF or the like.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
If that is a gb rom, you didn't need the patch. That is only for going from ics to gb because of the sdcard. If it is a ics rom, stick with ics. You can go backwards but it is a pain.

Rezound via Tapatalk 2

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
It's a ICS ROM that had a "firmware patch" required to install.

My question is since I installed this "patch", how do I know what firmware I am on?

That way, I know what to do if I want to try BAMF (for instance) and it says you do "this for firmware xxxxx" or "this for firmware xxxxx"

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
If you needed the patch then you're still on gb firmware. If you ran the ics ruu and don't need the patch then you're on ics firmware.

Sent from my Paranoid Android Galaxy Nexus

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
If you needed the patch then you're still on gb firmware. If you ran the ics ruu and don't need the patch then you're on ics firmware.

Sent from my Paranoid Android Galaxy Nexus

Here's exactly what I did to my bone stock Rezound (after installing AmonRa)...what does this leave me with for firmware? I am still on stock firmware, or some patched version, or does the GB "patch" here upgrade me to ICS Firmware?

And what does the .IMG file in the PH98IMG file do anyway? Says it's for non s-off phones, but what exactly is it anyway?

Very confused...but trying to get it all. :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
(from CleanROM Professional Edition 4.5 - Downloads - Scott's ROMS)

Method 4: Installation for S-ON Devices on Gingerbread firmware
?Copy ROM to SD Card AND PH98IMG.zip AND GB Firmware Patch to ROOT of SD Card
?Reboot to recovery
?wipe data / Factory Reset
?Flash ROM
?Flash GB Fimrware Patch
?Use Developer Menu to reboot to bootloader and flash the boot.img file in the PH98IMG.zip
?Reboot
?Profit

----------

Download PH98IMG.zip HERE! This is only for S-ON Devices

Download Gingerbread Firmware patch HERE! - You only need to do this if you are on Gingerbread Fimrware!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

woodyt74

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Here is one of the most straight forward answers I've found to your question about the boot.img file.

The boot.img is a small(ish) file that contains 2 main parts, the kernel (the brain of the Android system) and the ramdisk (a core set of instructions and binaries that begins the boot process and controls base aspects of the system, such as mountpoints, memory management and startup services).

You are still on the GB firmware and that is why you needed to install the GB patch for this ROM to function. Hope this helps.

Cares

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
The firmware patch is just to "trick" the phone thinking that it's on ICS firmware so that you can install and run the ICS ROM. It doesn't actually change your firmware though.

I personally have no problems with ICS firmware and have seen a minor improvement in battery life actually.