New To 5X - Are Washed Colors b/c Of Hardware Or Software?

johnatthebar

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I recently bought a 5X and a 6P (my wife and I are both getting new devices and weren't sure what we'd each prefer). I don't have the 6P yet, but so far, I'm liking the 5X but am unsure of the display. The colors are very washed out - not 'yellowed' like some have seen, just washed.

I know there was a software issue causing this on Nexus Players with 6.0, and some mentioned it for 6.0.1, but when I search there is conflicting info out there as to whether this was fixed in 6.0.1 (which I'm running).

Basically, I just want to know if this is as good as the display on the 5X gets, or if a future software update (I'm familiar with the risk of banking on those) will address.

Thanks,
BH

Equinsu ocha

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Washed out? Yellow?

The screen colors on my 5X is more real life appearing than any phone I've ever had. If you want a display with accurate color rendering, just like everyday life, then the 5X display will fit the bill.

The 5X does not have an AMOLED display. So if you like absurdly oversaturated colors with the sharpness artificially cranked up 300% then you likely will not like the display on the 5X.

rhea

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
You may have a defective device as display is hardware based. If you're used to the over saturated AMOLED/SAMOLED screens, you will notice a difference. http://www.trustedreviews.com/nexus-5x-review explains the differences. It's difficult to tell online, but you may want to look at some pictures and videos featuring the 5x.

Ondrej Rosypal

May 4, 2014
Visit site
I believe the bug was mostly related to videos and pics, not the UI. I heard you can easily check if you have it by playing a "black screen" video Youtube and comparing the color to the black elements on your UI. For me, the colors look perfectly fine, but I imagine when comparing 5X and 6P side by side, the difference would be striking.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arlecchino