new to android and not impressed

comblago

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
hello to all. i recently purchased a coby tablet with android 2.1, i believe. i am still learning how to use it. what bothers me is that there is very little or no support for this device. i am looking for forums specific to this device(i have to use forums, no one will talk to me). so far, android is a disappointment. i miss itunes. does anyone out there know how to uninstall android and install another os on this or any other tablet?:(

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Hello, comblago.

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear about how unsatisfied you're with Android on your device. I don't know much about tablets - but I don't think you can change the OS of the device.(don't quote me on this though)

Yourdogsdead

May 15, 2010
Visit site
The fact that is it running 2.1, indicates that it is either lower end or "cheap". 2.1 is very old, especially with honeycomb out. I would recommend that you find a way to upgrade it.

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
One of the things you have to remember is that (for the most part) Android devices are made to be tweaked. Out-of-the-box, they can be used just fine, but to get the most out of the device, you need to configure it to yourself. I don't know all of the things that are available to Android tablets, but I would think that (coming from a different OS) you would need to spend a little time configuring everything.

Plus, 2.1 wasn't really made with tablets in mind. There are plenty of different keyboards to try, so you can find the one that works best with your device. You can configure the different home screens to your liking. Widgets will help make the screens looks better. If you are coming from iOS, with Apple's devices have a very strict look to them, it can be daunting with how much configuration can be done.

When I moved over from BlackBerry, I had become used to the BlackBerry way of doing things. I did still have an open mind about Android, but it was definitely out of my comfort zone. I tried several keyboards until I found the ones that I could use the best (Swype and SwiftKey for me), I added NoLED so I could have notifications again, Quick Profiles so I could quickly change sound profiles, and so on.

The best thing to do is figure out what are the things that you want the tablet to do. Then, one at a time, try to see if a) there is a setting to change to make the device do what you want, and b) see if there is an app that will give you what you are looking for.

Reactions: comblago

comblago

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
thanks for at least listening

Thanks for your replies. You have done more in your few minutes than I have been able to do in 2 months of searching. I would love to tweak it if i could just find out how. I can't find a forum and I have been waiting for almost two months for an answer to my queries. The instruction guide helps very little.:-\

john_v

Q&A Team
Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
hello to all. i recently purchased a coby tablet with android 2.1, i believe. i am still learning how to use it. what bothers me is that there is very little or no support for this device. i am looking for forums specific to this device(i have to use forums, no one will talk to me). so far, android is a disappointment. i miss itunes. does anyone out there know how to uninstall android and install another os on this or any other tablet?:(

Comblago, first off, welcome to Android Central! Glad to have you on board. Second, try this forum for Coby tablets. I don't know if it's against protocol to direct people outside of AC :-\ but since we don't seem to have a dedicated Coby forum... ;)

Anyway, I found that through a google search, so I cannot vouch for the type of people over there; they may be as nice as we are here, even nicer (nah, not possible O:) ) or really grouchy; who knows. But hopefully you can get some answers there, and then pop back over here and share what you are learning!

DNicolasL

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Coby isn't known for making reference hardware. If you want a cheap no contract tablet I suggest the Nook Color.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G

NoSpin

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Welcome! But don't judge android based on a cheap colby tablet, it's not really a flagship of the platform. The beauty of android is it can be put on the highest end smartphone, and the lowest end tablet.

I highly recommend visiting the xda forums, finding out how to root it and load it with a custom rom and the android market. As for missing itunes, ley's just say I did a little jig when I was finally able to uninstall that horrible program. It was great years ago, but boy it should have ben overhauled a long time ago.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Novigator