New to Android. I often hear over time android phones o/s slow down, but in short orde, why is that?

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
my computer does slow down after a few years, but i understand android phones slow down fairly soon, maybe after 6 months or so? Can anyone give me a little insight into any of this? thanks.

i read a few articles on how to keep your android fast, which only seem to confirm that indeed android slows down pretty quickly, what up?

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
my computer does slow down after a few years, but i understand android phones slow down fairly soon, maybe after 6 months or so? Can anyone give me a little insight into any of this? thanks.

i read a few articles on how to keep your android fast, which only seem to confirm that indeed android slows down pretty quickly, what up?

Both the PC and Android can be cleared to keep speed up. Android is mainly the cache needs to be cleared in recovery because OTA updates just flat out install. Anytime you install a new ROM, clearing the phone's cache in recovery is always a good idea.

For your PC, I would recommend installing a registry cleaner, and using that once a month. CCleaner is a good program. Disk defragment, and disk cleanup are another two things that can help speed. All previous tips are for Windows.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Both the PC and Android can be cleared to keep speed up. Android is mainly the cache needs to be cleared in recovery because OTA updates just flat out install. Anytime you install a new ROM, clearing the phone's cache in recovery is always a good idea.

For your PC, I would recommend installing a registry cleaner, and using that once a month. CCleaner is a good program. Disk defragment, and disk cleanup are another two things that can help speed. All previous tips are for Windows.

To further elaborate on golf drivers excellent post. Your cache is also where "some" data from apps is stored for quicker access to them. After an amount of time, it can become clogged up and "fragmented" per say. Android doesn't handle caching like traditional Linux setups. The cache actually can become fragmented, as data is written to and read from it. It can even cause apps to malfunction.

I would actually recommend wiping your cache once every month, especially if you do a lot of heavy app usage.

I've suggested to Google to include a script that does it for you, so you don't have to, but really the manufacturers make the final decision on what's included in their phones, so Google has little control over it.

You can also schedule windows disk defragmentor to automatically run, whenever you set it to.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
To further elaborate on golf drivers excellent post. Your cache is also where "some" data from apps is stored for quicker access to them. After an amount of time, it can become clogged up and "fragmented" per say. Android doesn't handle caching like traditional Linux setups. The cache actually can become fragmented, as data is written to and read from it. It can even cause apps to malfunction.

I would actually recommend wiping your cache once every month, especially if you do a lot of heavy app usage.

I've suggested to Google to include a script that does it for you, so you don't have to, but really the manufacturers make the final decision on what's included in their phones, so Google has little control over it.

You can also schedule windows disk defragmentor to automatically run, whenever you set it to.

oh, i know what cache is, but i wasn't sure what "cashe in recovery means". Will follow that advice. And if a person does that, will their system function on month 12 as it did in month 2? Let's say if kept their storage to less than half full.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for elaborating. Probably explained it much better than I could.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
oh, i know what cache is, but i wasn't sure what "cashe in recovery means". Will follow that advice. And if a person does that, will their system function on month 12 as it did in month 2? Let's say if kept their storage to less than half full.

I already do what gollum suggests. I have a recurring reminder from Google to do this. Every second Tuesday. Clean PC registry, disk clean, defrag, and Android reboot to recovery to clear cache. My phone is as fast now as it was a year ago.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheCheekyDinosaur