New to Android...Rooted...now what?

backoffturkey

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I keep reading post talking about how much better the phone is after rooting. Can someone please fill me in on what I am missing. I rooted so that I could get rid of the bloatware on the phone. I have titanium pro, and the boot strapper. I am interested in playing around with different roms and such but didn't see any that seemed all that interesting to me. I think my experience level with tech is above average. Please give me some suggestions on what to do next.

So far LOVING the Droid X. Battery life was shaky the first couple of days but I am please now (is that a symptom of rooting?)

Thanks all

jerseyboy357

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
hi welcome. groovy username. well if uve rooted already then your not missing out. if ur curious about battery info theres a couple good thread in the accessories forum for the X.

Sent from the X of B

Dirty Ders

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Well for starters you can now have a free Wi-Fi hotspot. You can undervolt and overclock your CPU, plus you can custom set every tiny little setting on your phone to the exact micro seconds or whatever.

Go to the Rooting, Roms and Hacks section of the forum to find out more.

Dirty Ders

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I haven’t rooted yet, might not ever either… all this talk about rooting makes me want to do it just to do it.

Roms are a personal choice, Liberty is nice from what I hear but it seems that roms are hit or miss with what people want.

You really got to go and check out the other section of the Motorola Droid X forum (right here in this Android Central forum)that I pointed out in my first post. It is located towards the top of the page above all of the threads and below the menu.

jshaffer75

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I rooted a month ago or so and first one I put on was liberty 1.5. It was very nice and easy to use for my first rom. didn't play quite as well as I would like and had a few quirks. Use apex 1.4.1 now and has been pretty flawless. They have themes for it as well I would like to try out soon.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
You say you have Titanium backup, freezing apps will help the performance of the phone as well as removing bloatware off the phone. Then underclock it to Low Voltage 800 MHz and it will help with battery life. And since you removed/froze bloatware, running at 800MHz, you will not know a difference since you have less stuff running in the background.

My DX with Motorola's extended battery gets me though roughly 12-14 hours with medium usage and with corporate sync and weather refreshing every 2 hours. Medium usage with around 100-300 sms and around 30 minutes of phone calls and web browsing.

kismet769

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Before ROMing and theming make a Stock back up and download the latest sbf file in case something goes wrong.

I did a lot of reading before adding my first custom ROM. Since then I've been through 4 ROM's and plenty of themes. Only bricked my phone once. :)

I will say that ApeX is my favorite ROM. It seems to be the most stable one.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Android!

irish22022

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
ROMs are where you'll go next, for sure. I was the same way, all the ROM descriptions sounded kinda... the same as what I already had.

I started with Liberty 1.0. this totally spoiled me. I've since tried tranq, apex 4.1, darkslide and one more, I can't think right now.

All of them were a bit different, but for ease of use and user friendly customization, no ROM can hold a candle to liberty. The toolbox is unreal, you'll really love it. Besides user friendliness, which nothing can beat liberty, your phone will react differently to different ROMs. Apex 4.1 for me was incredibly klunky and slow. Gummyjar was the fastest. Liberty the second fastest. Darkslide was pretty good too. I learned that I like to be able to sync facebook contacts with my current contacts and get updated pictures from facebook which can't be done with any Blurred Rom. I also decided that I much preferred wycontacts to the blur. So, for me, liberty and gummy jar are really the only ones i'd stick with, and Liberty has the amazing tool box, so, here I am.

Some users report freezing or reboots with liberty. If that happens too much, then maybe look into some other ROMs, but I really honestly think you should start with liberty simply because the handy liberty toolbox will show you just how much you can do with a ROM. Without the toolbox, it's basically like running stock without some of the bloat and some minor adjustments to the blur apps - all for the better.

And, as always, be sure you have your contacts in google before you go to a new ROM, and always follow the instructions! nandroid backup! liberty rom stations out of droid forums, so go there to get all theme info, battery info, everything.

irish22022

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
ROMs are where you'll go next, for sure. I was the same way, all the ROM descriptions sounded kinda... the same as what I already had.

I started with Liberty 1.0. this totally spoiled me. I've since tried tranq, apex 4.1, darkslide and one more, I can't think right now.

All of them were a bit different, but for ease of use and user friendly customization, no ROM can hold a candle to liberty. The toolbox is unreal, you'll really love it. Besides user friendliness, which nothing can beat liberty, your phone will react differently to different ROMs. Apex 4.1 for me was incredibly klunky and slow. Gummyjar was the fastest. Liberty the second fastest. Darkslide was pretty good too. I learned that I like to be able to sync facebook contacts with my current contacts and get updated pictures from facebook which can't be done with any Blurred Rom. I also decided that I much preferred wycontacts to the blur. So, for me, liberty and gummy jar are really the only ones i'd stick with, and Liberty has the amazing tool box, so, here I am.

Some users report freezing or reboots with liberty. If that happens too much, then maybe look into some other ROMs, but I really honestly think you should start with liberty simply because the handy liberty toolbox will show you just how much you can do with a ROM. Without the toolbox, it's basically like running stock without some of the bloat and some minor adjustments to the blur apps - all for the better.

And, as always, be sure you have your contacts in google before you go to a new ROM, and always follow the instructions! nandroid backup! liberty rom stations out of droid forums, so go there to get all theme info, battery info, everything.

kismet769

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
ROMs react differently to different phones. I didn't have a very good experience with Liberty but it is a great ROM.

Play around with the different ones until you find one you like, but like I said above, always make a back up!

I usually make a back up of the custom ROMs also. That way if you decide you want to go back to a previous one you don't have to go through the hassle of setting it up again.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Are there any roms you can recommend? It seems as if there is a lot of love for the Liberty rom. Thanks for the input.

I would say trying the different roms til you find one you like, everybodies opinion differs :) . I used Liberty ,darkslide,apex, rubix .Currently on rubiX 2.0.:cool:

Liberty1.5,Darkslide 4.2,rubiX 2.0 focused have performed the best on my X. as far as not having FCs on, apex I was having FC issues with on some apps.

I stick to the most popular roms after reviewing the threads . I am not sold on just one particular rom. I look for performance and functionablity :cool:

Last edited:

shadowstalker

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Great experience with Apex but went back to stock

I tried Apex 1.4 for about 2 weeks and then went back to stock to see the real differences. It was great to customize many things that stock does not let you change. I am hoping 2.3 will let us change somethings like the launch bar or even spacing on the pages for widgets/icons - greatly appreciated on Apex. The screen transition animations were also a nice touch. I did see some people with an app launcher screen that looked like a 3D cube and the icons on the screen were rotating from the bottom of the cube to the top of the cube... I have not found this app/ROM yet and am still looking if anyone can help me out.

I went back to stock to set it up how I liked and make a proper nandroid backup. I may try Apex again or a different ROM as all these experts advise. Always make a backup/nandroid, especially when you get it just the way you want.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I tried Apex 1.4 for about 2 weeks and then went back to stock to see the real differences. It was great to customize many things that stock does not let you change. I am hoping 2.3 will let us change somethings like the launch bar or even spacing on the pages for widgets/icons - greatly appreciated on Apex. The screen transition animations were also a nice touch. I did see some people with an app launcher screen that looked like a 3D cube and the icons on the screen were rotating from the bottom of the cube to the top of the cube... I have not found this app/ROM yet and am still looking if anyone can help me out.

I went back to stock to set it up how I liked and make a proper nandroid backup. I may try Apex again or a different ROM as all these experts advise. Always make a backup/nandroid, especially when you get it just the way you want.

They're not Roms. They're launchers. The one that comes with Apex is "ADW Launcher". The one with the cube effect is "Launcher Pro". Both can be found in the market.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nasrulawal026