New to rooting and have some questions

JKforUA

May 17, 2012
Visit site
I recently rooted my Bionic and can definitely tell my battery life has extended (froze some bloatware and installed Battery Saver to go with my JuiceDefender app, etc.). I'm ready to take it to the next level and have some questions. I've googled quite a bit on this topic recently - but I have limited time to study/read everything on this. Some of the links I read seemed to have contradictory information and since I have limited time to google or search this forum, I'll ask the questions in this post. A quick glance over the topics on this forum didn't QUITE answer my questions (maybe they would have if I had a lot of time to really read them all) or looked outdated. I am a software engineer by trade, but I will readily admit that I have a very elementary (well, in some regards...) understanding of some of this rooting/ROM stuff.

FYI, I have Titanium Backup, SafeStrap, and ROM Manager all installed already, and I am on the 5.9.902 update. I have also made backups of my apps and data currently on my phone.

Also, this disclaimer: I am *well* aware that the Bionic will be getting ICS sometime this year, but what can I say? I'm impatient :) I know I can roll back any ROMs installed (yes, I definitely made sure to read up on that before rooting!)

1. Which ROMs are 'safe'/'stable' to use? Searching for ICS ROMs led me all over the place, and every one I saw appeared to have issues with the camera. I use my camera frequently, so a nonworking camera is a show stopper for me at this moment. Is there a somewhat stable ROM for ICS for the Bionic that has a working camera? Any links would be very much appreciated! Since I am new to this (and posting on any forum about any of this), I have no idea which sites are the most trusted or where the best ROMs are posted/updated.

2. If there aren't any 'stable' enough ICS ROMs available at this time, what are the best others to look at? I have seen mention of the Gummi and Eclipse ROMs, but I am not sure how stable they are or which version they emulate (or whatever word is appropriate there lol). Are either of them ICS?

Thanks for any help, and please don't flame me too hard!! I am sure these questions/topics have been answered somewhere, but I just don't have the time to do a good enough search to feel comfortable about it.
Jamie

soulsurvives

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I recently rooted my Bionic and can definitely tell my battery life has extended (froze some bloatware and installed Battery Saver to go with my JuiceDefender app, etc.). I'm ready to take it to the next level and have some questions. I've googled quite a bit on this topic recently - but I have limited time to study/read everything on this. Some of the links I read seemed to have contradictory information and since I have limited time to google or search this forum, I'll ask the questions in this post. A quick glance over the topics on this forum didn't QUITE answer my questions (maybe they would have if I had a lot of time to really read them all) or looked outdated. I am a software engineer by trade, but I will readily admit that I have a very elementary (well, in some regards...) understanding of some of this rooting/ROM stuff.

FYI, I have Titanium Backup, SafeStrap, and ROM Manager all installed already, and I am on the 5.9.902 update. I have also made backups of my apps and data currently on my phone.

Also, this disclaimer: I am *well* aware that the Bionic will be getting ICS sometime this year, but what can I say? I'm impatient :) I know I can roll back any ROMs installed (yes, I definitely made sure to read up on that before rooting!)

1. Which ROMs are 'safe'/'stable' to use? Searching for ICS ROMs led me all over the place, and every one I saw appeared to have issues with the camera. I use my camera frequently, so a nonworking camera is a show stopper for me at this moment. Is there a somewhat stable ROM for ICS for the Bionic that has a working camera? Any links would be very much appreciated! Since I am new to this (and posting on any forum about any of this), I have no idea which sites are the most trusted or where the best ROMs are posted/updated.

2. If there aren't any 'stable' enough ICS ROMs available at this time, what are the best others to look at? I have seen mention of the Gummi and Eclipse ROMs, but I am not sure how stable they are or which version they emulate (or whatever word is appropriate there lol). Are either of them ICS?

Thanks for any help, and please don't flame me too hard!! I am sure these questions/topics have been answered somewhere, but I just don't have the time to do a good enough search to feel comfortable about it.
Jamie
Not found a problem free ICS build yet....I use eclipse and am very happy with it.....

Last edited:
Reactions: JKforUA

JKforUA

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! Yeah, I was sorta leaning to going the Eclipse route. From what I've read, it sounds the most stable, and I haven't seen anybody say they didn't like it. Thanks!!

cindylike24

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Not found a problem free ICS build yet....I use eclipse and am very happy with it.....

Thanks! Yeah, I was sorta leaning to going the Eclipse route. From what I've read, it sounds the most stable, and I haven't seen anybody say they didn't like it. Thanks!!

If you are thinking about going with the Eclipse route, go for it. I've got Eclipse 2.2 on my phone and I love how it works. I think that my phone is just a bit faster on this ROM than it was on the stock rooted ROM. Let me know how you like it.

Cindy

Reactions: JKforUA

JKforUA

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Cindy! HOPEfully I will find the time this weekend to get around to installing Eclipse. Where is the best link at if you don't mind telling me? I know there are bunches of links, but they all seem to have varying versions of these ROMs (maybe I'm imagining that, though) and seemingly contradictory or at least different instructions on installing it. Thanks for any help!

Hopefully, ICS will be pushed to the Bionic sooner than expected, but either way, I love tinkering with this stuff and don't know why I haven't done this a long time ago!

cindylike24

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Cindy! HOPEfully I will find the time this weekend to get around to installing Eclipse. Where is the best link at if you don't mind telling me? I know there are bunches of links, but they all seem to have varying versions of these ROMs (maybe I'm imagining that, though) and seemingly contradictory or at least different instructions on installing it. Thanks for any help!

Hopefully, ICS will be pushed to the Bionic sooner than expected, but either way, I love tinkering with this stuff and don't know why I haven't done this a long time ago!

I did a bit of searching and found the thread that I used to download and install Eclipse 2.2. Here it is. It's [ROM] Eclipse v2.2 (2/27/12) - xda-developers. Hope that this helps you out!

Cindy

scramy500

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
+1 for Eclipse 2.2. Been running eclipse for a long time. Very stable and Lots of customizations available. The have their own forum. If your going to dl'd it, might as well get it right from the source along with any themes you might want.

Eclipse Rom Forums

JKforUA

May 17, 2012
Visit site
I finally got around to installing Eclipse on my phone, and it is like I have a completely new phone! It runs soooo smooth without ANY lagging. I *have*, though, had a headache of a time trying to restore all of my apps with Titanium Pro. It will restore a few apps, then catch on one and completely pause. The settings for Titanium Pro have a setting it says to set if there is the problem of pausing, but I did it and STILL having trouble with it. I guess I will have to restore my apps just a few at a time, but I won't complain too much! It's worth the hassle!

Thanks to everybody who helped me!!!