new to s3

pineapplex

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Just bought an s3 last night at att and must say I'm impressed. I'm used to prepaid virgin mobile phones like the one v and evo.

What would you all suggest I should do to my phone? What apps to get, or features to use etc

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It totally depends on what you want to use your phone for, and what your interests are. Throw some of your interests at us, and I'm sure plenty of people on this forum will give you their 2 cents (and probably much much more)!

pineapplex

May 31, 2013
Visit site
music, free music downloads would be great lol. Anyway to take pictures without it going blurry when my kids move! Also anything that would make my experience with my phone better. Im not new to android, but again I am. I say that because the phones I had really werent great, plus the phone and service where slow like a snail, so I never had much fun with them. Since I got my new job/career and have extra cash, I can finally afford the funner things in life lol. Bu I'd say music, pictures, gps, and best things to do to keep my phone running in top shape.

Thanks B. Diddy

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Congratulations on the new job! I don't mean to rain on the parade, but keep in mind that "free" music downloads are usually illegal, and we strongly discourage it on this site. Besides, downloading from those kinds of sites is a good way to catch some malware! But check out Amazon's MP3 Store frequently, because they often have good deals on songs and albums, as well as some free songs. Also check out Google Play Music frequently for the same reason.

There are so many excellent music players on Google Play, most of them free. In no particular order, there's PowerAmp, Winamp, DoubleTwist, MixZing, Mortplayer--and the list goes on. Since most are free or free to try, give them all a whirl and see which one works best for you. Personally, I think Google Music works just fine.

Phone cameras are always going to be relatively inferior to standalone cameras, especially when it comes to shutter speed. Fortunately, the Samsung phones are known to have above-average cameras. You could try Camera Zoom FX, which has a nice stability feature--it won't take the shot until the phone is completely stable, resulting in less motion blur. It does cost $2.99, though.

For pictures, I like QuickPic--it's a good, lightweight replacement for the stock Gallery, and has a nice user interface. It's also free!

For keeping your phone running in top shape, All-in-One Toolbox can be handy to clear the temporary caches of all of your apps and see what apps are using most of your battery. To get the most out of your battery, refer to this guide: http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/298919-guide-battery-saving-tips.html

Above all, enjoy! Android just keeps getting better and better.

pineapplex

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I appreciate the info and I don't mind paying for music. I usually upgrade to paid versions when I try things out :)

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's the spirit! There are too many people who expect everything to be free, and then get upset when there are ads or other costs to get more features. If an app is good, it's usually no more than 2 or 3 bucks to get the full version. If something is completely free and I think it's really good, I will usually donate a buck or two to the developer.