New unlocked Pixel 5a on June security patch on AT&T.

anon(10766205)

Aug 17, 2021
Visit site
I got my pixel 5a today and checked the security patch...June 5, 2021. I checked for update and it said "your software is up to date". Unlocked on at&t.

Cherenkov

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
re: New unlocked Pixel 5a on June security patch on AT&T.

There's a Reddit thread about this as well. I opened a ticket with Google Support, who claims that the updates are being rolled out in batches. Unfortunately, they're just their generic answer and I don't have any confidence that it's true. When I asked for a timeline they were sure to tell me they could not provide one.

In the Reddit thread there are rumors that it might not be patched until the September Monthly update, but those are just rumors. So far as I know Google has not officially said anything.

But if it helps, this is impacting every single 5a. You don't have a faulty device, they're all like this.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

FWIW, the history of monthly updates on my Pixel 2XL was to get them the first week of the month. They do roll out in batches, not everyone gets them the same day.

I don't understand the angst about not getting an update on your phone that you might have had in your possession for all of four days. What's up with that?

anon(10766205)

Aug 17, 2021
Visit site

FWIW, the history of monthly updates on my Pixel 2XL was to get them the first week of the month. They do roll out in batches, not everyone gets them the same day.

I don't understand the angst about not getting an update on your phone that you might have had in your possession for all of four days. What's up with that?

When I first powered-up my s21ultra last February there was security update available. The new pixel is on the June security patch. I was hoping that Google would go ahead and update, but if I have to wait a bit longer no big deal.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

When I first powered-up my s21ultra last February there was security update available. The new pixel is on the June security patch. I was hoping that Google would go ahead and update, but if I have to wait a bit longer no big deal.

When did the S21 Ultra come out? January? When you got yours it had been out for several weeks, time enough for an update.

The 5a has only been available since Thursday, August 26th. How many are out in the wild that need updates? A thousand? A couple thousand? I can understand why Google would wait for the usual monthly update cycle to update the 5a.

anon(10766205)

Aug 17, 2021
Visit site

When did the S21 Ultra come out? January? When you got yours it had been out for several weeks, time enough for an update.

The 5a has only been available since Thursday, August 26th. How many are out in the wild that need updates? A thousand? A couple thousand? I can understand why Google would wait for the usual monthly update cycle to update the 5a.

The s21 series became available January 29. I got mine February 2...4 days, not several weeks.

Cherenkov

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site

As far as we can tell, every Pixel 5a was shipped with the June 5 patch and none of them have received an update yet. That's two months of critical patches these devices are lacking. Known vulnerabilities that other Pixel phones have already been protected against.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site

Look at my first reply, Google baby even released the patches for July or August for the device. It's not people itching to get something that others have, it's people expecting Google to have the latest device on the latest patch...

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

Elsewhere...

Samsung's Galaxy S20 FE is already getting the September 2021 security patch
Both the 4G-only and 5G versions of the value flagship have started receiving the update.

Cherenkov

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site

After having a case open with Google support since I got the device and troubleshooting with them for nearly a week, they've confirmed that there's nothing they can do on their end. We are just supposed to wait and at some point the devices are supposed to be updated. They cannot provide a timeline. They had me try the device recovery but there's no updates there either.

Personally, I'm giving it until the 6th then returning mine. If it's not updated by then then I can't wait any longer without my return window closing.

anon(10753934)

Jun 17, 2021
Visit site

Pixel 4 current Security patch August 5 th 21 on 11R.

I couldn't update the patch till about couple days ago.

Last edited:

Cherenkov

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site

As far as I know the other Pixel phones that are still being supported (3 and up) received their patches as normal. It's just the new 5a that doesn't have patches available yet.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Its rather new device so probably by 5th , my Fold 3 is fairly new and no patches available yet and its on July out of the box .

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site

I'll try to be patient for a few more days.

Patches usually release to Pixel devices on the first Monday of the month, around 1 PM Eastern. As Monday is a holiday in the US the release may be delayed until Tuesday...

ezdoit

Sep 20, 2019
Visit site

This is the latest, and only "update" for the 5a.
@Cherenkov - chill out - relax - or we're gonna need a patch for you - ;)
My 5a should be here Saturday - I'll be anxious to see what month patch it has.

aa.png

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma