New update today (06-08-12) ics?

mgiusto

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I got a message on my phone this morning that a new update was available, I said "OK" but it wound up going to ClockWork recovery mode.

So I then rebooted and unrooted my phone but now when I check for updates it says "No Firmware"! Ugh I can't believe I missed it! Is there anyway to force the update?

Is this the ICS update? I know it's supposed to come June 11, but maybe they were able to release it early???

Thanks for any help!

kingsway8605

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
If you got an update notification, it is almost certainly ics. Companies usually do a limited release as a beta before the official release, you are probably part of the limited release (usually called a soak test). It should repush itself to you eventually. If you are already back on a stock recovery, you could try to boot into it and pick apply update.zip. It is unlikely that the zip is still there, but it is worth a shot.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

mgiusto

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Before unrooting I checked internal storage as well as my SD card and didn't see any new files anywhere. Is there a specific location to check?

When I boot to recovery it asks me for a location of the file.

kingsway8605

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Before unrooting I checked internal storage as well as my SD card and didn't see any new files anywhere. Is there a specific location to check?

When I boot to recovery it asks me for a location of the file.

It usually deletes itself after the first attempt. If you still have a backup, I would try a factory reset. I got pushed an update early before and had the same thing happen, and a factory reset fixed it. No promises though.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

mgiusto

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Well, I now have a freshly wiped device and no update... LOL oh well.

Thanks for the tips though. greatly appreciated!

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I received this same update and it prompted me to restart without even downloading anything. My phone is rooted and it flashed clockwork mod. Once I rebooted nothing happened. I see that dmservice is running, but should I unroot and see if they'll attempt to send the update again or is it possible for me to force the update?

mgiusto

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
WhiteShadow,

Don't bother, I tried everything and I never got another chance at the update from this morning. You and I both missed out probably because we were rooted.

The official launch is scheduled for Monday so you may as well get un-rooted and back to stock now in preparation for next week.

kevinholley84

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
WhiteShadow,

Don't bother, I tried everything and I never got another chance at the update from this morning. You and I both missed out probably because we were rooted.

The official launch is scheduled for Monday so you may as well get un-rooted and back to stock now in preparation for next week.

kevinholley84

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
I also got this update notification so I am on rooted my phone then I hooked up to kies and check my firmware an updated it was not ice cream sandwich however I do believe the firmware is preparation for ice cream sandwich just some of the things on my phone did change

kevinholley84

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
Well, I now have a freshly wiped device and no update... LOL oh well.

Thanks for the tips though. greatly appreciated!
I to receive this notification update I un root my phone and I hooked up to kies it automatically pushed new firmware on to my phone it was not ice cream sandwich software update but I do believe the firmware is preparation for ice cream sandwich. Make sure u have latest version of kies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kelvinbrooklyn