New verizon policy change..

cody_21

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I found this on engadget. verizon told them "customers who purchase the off-contract Xoom will now no longer need to be on a month to month plan." what does this mean?

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
Saves 55 bucks for those who don't want 3g. Not bad. I may not do the 3g then and then down the road after using it see if I need it. Good deal.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

roadrat

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
Chatted with VZW online (2/24/11 @ 8:32am Eastern)...

Please hold for a Verizon Wireless sales representative to assist you with your order. Thank you for your patience.

You are now chatting with 'Kristen'

Kristen: Hello. Thank you for visiting our chat service. May I help you with your order today?

You: I want to buy the Xoom off contract and without 3g service.

You: is that possible?

Kristen: I would be happy to assist you online today.

Kristen: You can purchase the Xoom at retail pricing which is $799.99 and you will have to select a data plan but since it is not on contract you do not have to use the 3G service if you choose not to. Would you like to do that?

You: do i have to pay an activation fee if I dont want a dataplan?

Kristen: Yes. You will have to pay the activation fee.

You: then, no, i dont want one and will also reconsider Verizon as my cell phone service provider.

Kristen: I apologize about that however the activation fee is a requirement when purchasing the device. You can check with customer care and see if they can waive it however we do not have access to the accounts online to do so unfortunately.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Chatted with VZW online (2/24/11 @ 8:32am Eastern)...

Please hold for a Verizon Wireless sales representative to assist you with your order. Thank you for your patience.

You are now chatting with 'Kristen'

Kristen: Hello. Thank you for visiting our chat service. May I help you with your order today?

You: I want to buy the Xoom off contract and without 3g service.

You: is that possible?

Kristen: I would be happy to assist you online today.

Kristen: You can purchase the Xoom at retail pricing which is $799.99 and you will have to select a data plan but since it is not on contract you do not have to use the 3G service if you choose not to. Would you like to do that?

You: do i have to pay an activation fee if I dont want a dataplan?

Kristen: Yes. You will have to pay the activation fee.

You: then, no, i dont want one and will also reconsider Verizon as my cell phone service provider.

Kristen: I apologize about that however the activation fee is a requirement when purchasing the device. You can check with customer care and see if they can waive it however we do not have access to the accounts online to do so unfortunately.

I think it'll be a pain for people the next few days but I'm sure their customer care will refund you if you have to pay for one today.

erzhik

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Can anyone confirm if this is true in Best Buy or just VZW? I would appreciate it.
Called my BB, they said they didn't hear anything about that.

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Im on hold with my BB store. I guess they have a Verizon rep there who is trying to confirm this. If they won't honor it I am going to cross the street and buy it from Verizon.

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Better yet, is there an official press release regarding this?

Anyway, it took some time but I was told that at BB, they WILL NOT require you to get a data plan now. He did say that this was brand new and that I was first to bring this up to his attention (hence why he had to get some clarification). If they give you problems I would refer them to call their Verizon rep.

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
Verizon would not sell without plan or drop fee. Even after I pulled out my bb pre order and said ill leave. Said they just can't do it on launch items. Owell still got it.

Storm24

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Bought at VZ Corp store and did NOT have to pay for activation or data fee. Just device and accessories. It is the sweet jam!!!!

jchien

Feb 5, 2010
Visit site
I tried at both local verizon store corporate owned and best buy and they said you have to activate the data. ohh well

arundc

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Picked up my Xoom from Costco at a good deal. Bit cheaper than BB or Verizon. I am typing on the Xoom right now. I personally need the data plan so got the $35 2 yr with additional $140 off. As for flash, I can see that some embedded youtube clips does work! Tried it here and on crackberry. Does not work on facebook yet, getting a link to adobe pending upgrade.

Yes, the release could have been handled properly but when 4G rolls around and based on the free upgrade with no change in plans required, the I pad 2 well can just eat the Xoom's dust.

I'm lovin the Xoom...

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
Yea I might just keep the data. Tether works on the X but what's 20 bucks when I don't feel like turning on tether and killing battery.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc