Newbie: How to update to 5.01

Robert Wray

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi Everyone

I'm based in the UK and know absolutely nothing about Android phones having been on Apple for the last 6-7 years.

I purchased an M8 which had been converted to GPE and was on KitKat.

I've just had the notification that the OTA update is available, which I've downloaded.

When I try to install it, it goes into TWRP menu (I dont know what this is)

Can anyone tell me what I should do next.

Apologies if the above is a really stupid question.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. You would need to click Install, and then find the update. If you can, I would try to locate it while the device is operating normally, then reboot into recovery.

Robert Wray

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi

Thanks for the really quick reply.

What do you mean by: "I would try to locate it while the device is operating normally, then reboot into recovery"

I've had a look on the net and it says that the download should be in \Device\cache. However I cant see the download in there with ES File explorer (I've enabled hidden files)

I tried to install it earlier by pressing install (in TWRP) and selecting the zip file in \ cache, but nothing happened!!

Any and all advice welcomed.

Thanks

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I thought you would find it in ES file explorer. You looked everywhere it can be? Downloads?

From an AOSP M8

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I am going to be honest, I am not sure where it could be. I am on a custom ROM too, but there is an updater file that they go in.

From an AOSP M8

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
If you converted to pure stock GPE, you shouldn't have TWRP. I don't. What method did you use for the conversion?

Posted via the Android Central App

Robert Wray

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I bought the phone with the GPE rom already applied. I asked the person I bought it off for more information, but he couldn't supply any.

Thanks

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Never converted a phone to GPE. The no TWRP was a piece of info I was missing. I would suggest flashing a ROM like CyanogenMod, Slim, Liquid, anything. Those have their own updates and should be downloadable and self installing.

From an AOSP M8

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc