Newbie issues_ apps for out of the shelf NC

mitreal@yahoo.com

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I got the NC just yesterday and was looking to add some apps. have used Max OSX so far so have really no idea about android. I saw that there was an option of installing honeycomb to NC (either SD or internal memory) but it seemed as it had stability issues so I'm kind of afraid of messing things up. Are there apps that I can install right away without the need of installing the honeycomb since NC already has android? Or what can you reccommend in general to use the most of the NC? Thank you very much.

AlterZgo

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
You cannot install android apps on a stock Nook Color. B&N intends to build their own marketplace and they have locked out the regular android marketplace, hence the need to root the Nook Color or run Froyo or Honeycomb off a microSD card.

mitreal@yahoo.com

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
best rooting method

Thanks. I got a couple of questions:

1- The best system to install. I've heard that honeycomb is not yet stable.

2- Is it really slow if I root it off a sd card? What type of card should I use? Please suggest a link that I can use here.

3- Is it possible to have it rooted via the SD and in the same time keep it as is if you remove the SD?

4- other important advice?

Thanks

ndinfla

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I got a couple of questions:

1- The best system to install. I've heard that honeycomb is not yet stable.

2- Is it really slow if I root it off a sd card? What type of card should I use? Please suggest a link that I can use here.

3- Is it possible to have it rooted via the SD and in the same time keep it as is if you remove the SD?

4- other important advice?

Thanks

The best advice i can give you would be to root the stock NC. This will enable you to use the market.

If you decide you want to try something else opt for the froyo booting from the Sdcard. If you do this you can have the best of both worlds (rooted stock NC and froyo). So far i have not much trouble from froyo from the sd card it runs real close to the same speed as the rooted stock.

Read and read again. Follow all instructions listed in the posts to the "T" and you should have no issues.

As far as cards go everyone has their own likes and dislikes. I am running a class 6 8Gb transcend card for both froyo and HC with no speed or performance issues.

Hope this helps

mitreal@yahoo.com

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Rooting the stock NC is different from installing Froyo or other sistem application?

Thanks a lot. From what you mention, it seems as rooting the original stock is different from installing honeycomb/froyo/other system application. Is this true?

And when you mention, that I can have the best of both worlds, does it mean that I remove the sd card, teh nook will work as used to? Thanks

stonefeet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
i picked up a NC over the weekend, right now rooted stock is the way to go (for the record i did not try froyo or gingerbread, just HC)

tried HC off both an sd card and internal (class 2 sandisk 8gb from wal mart, speed was fine) love the interface it's just not everything works, hopefully when the full source is released by google that'll all change (god i hope so)

of course i'll try out the gingerbread rom at some point, but so far i love this thing, it's a gadget tinkerers dream.

ndinfla

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks a lot. From what you mention, it seems as rooting the original stock is different from installing honeycomb/froyo/other system application. Is this true?

And when you mention, that I can have the best of both worlds, does it mean that I remove the sd card, teh nook will work as used to? Thanks

Rooting stock will root the system that is on the nook now. HC or Froyo can be booted off of an sdcard so it will not affect the rooted system on the nook. This way if you want to go back to the stock rooted NC just pull out the sd card.

Make sure you follow the instuctions in this forum to the "T".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mossi