amz91

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
Just got my new note 4, coming from iPhone 5s and only ever having one android years ago for a short amount of time I'm trying my best get used to it! Loving it at the same time, anyone know the best free anti virus out there and any kind of programme stoppers for apps still running in the background? Thanks in advance ☺

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1) Apps "running in the background" or apps still in RAM? If the latter, RAM is supposed to be as full as possible, so an app that's no longer running will still be there unless Android needs the space for another app. Read Multitasking the Android Way. She writes code for Google, so she should know how it works.

2) I use Avast. AVG is good. So is Avira, Kaspersky, 360 Security, BitDefender. Lookout is also good, but not for Samsungs yet - you have to turn most of it off to not kill the battery in Samsung phones.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to AC amz....you'll find plenty more advice here about the mysteries of the little green guy. ☺

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! May I also suggest this classic article by Jerry Hildenbrand: RAM: What it is, how it's used, and why you shouldn't care | Android Central

It's worth noting that Google now gives you the option for them to scan apps on your phone. Just go to Settings>Security>Verify Apps, which will allow Google to periodically scan the apps on your device for any suspicious apps or known threats. This should make those who prefer not to use antivirus apps even more comfortable. The best way to combat malware is to avoid it, though. Some tips to keep safe:

1. Be cautious when visiting shady sites. If a popup or warning dialog appears, telling you to click on something for your own good, back out of it immediately.
2. Don't download and install pirated apps (in .apk file format) from filesharing sites. That's an easy way of getting malware.
3. Stick with reputable app sources like Google Play Store or Amazon Appstore for your apps. But even then, read reviews before installing--users will often give red flags in their reviews.

amz91

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
Aww thank you all so much you all seem so nice! Il be having a good read of some of the threads on here pretty soon 😊 got to say it but I'm absolutely loving the freedom of android compared to apple ! All seems a bit busy at first but once you start getting the hang of things it all seems so good and I feel like iv got a really high quality handset!
Thank you all again 😊

amz91

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
I will as another quick question while I'm here it won't let me upload a picture let as I haven't made enough posts, in the box I got the charger (plug and USB cable) , headphones and what I can only describe as a metal pinch with miniature cotton bud look alikes lol

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I will as another quick question while I'm here it won't let me upload a picture let as I haven't made enough posts, in the box I got the charger (plug and USB cable) , headphones and what I can only describe as a metal pinch with miniature cotton bud look alikes lol
I can't remember the post limit for pictures, but when you can, throw up some pictures.

From an AOSP M8

amz91

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
Need help with dropbox, everytime I try to export videos from dropbox I get this error message about needing an application ect I've managed do all my photos its just my videos. can anyone help, I need export them before my account runs out in march 😢