Newer user, need help with swype uninstall and notification sound

anon(378010)

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

I got my Evo 4g about three months ago and have run into a couple of issues that I can't figure out.

1. I tried Swype and am ready to go back to the stock keyboard. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to uninstall it. There is no uninstall button in manage applications page.

2. I created a mp3 and added it to the folder for notification sounds. The phone continues to play the stock sound but will not play the mp3 I added and have set as the notification sound in the sounds menu.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Glenn

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Re: Newer user, need help with swype uninstall and notification s

1. Swype became a pre-installed app from one of the updates. You cannot uninstall it without rooting. You can disable it, but that's it.

2. When you chose your own MP3 as the default notification sound, did it play back with the sound you expected? If not, you may want to check your MP3 file. Also, many apps have their own notification sound settings, you should check them, as well.

Reactions: anon(378010)

anon(378010)

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site

Thank you Glenn. I didn't realize that Swype was now pre-installed. As far as the notification sound goes, I chose it from the sounds menu as the notification sound. It will play in that menu. I am trying to use it for text messages. I didn't know if it had to be in a special folder on the SD card or something else I may be missing.

Also, I am no longer getting Facebook notifications!?!

Glenn

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site

Your own notification sound files should be placed in the SD card under "\media\audio\notifications", from there it will show up in your list of notification sounds, when customizing them in the settings.

The default messaging app definitely has its own menu settings for notification sounds, although I think it's supposed to pick up your default settings if you have never changed it. Anyway, go into your messaging app's settings menu, and check what its Notification sound is set to. If it's not the "default ringtone," set it to that and see if it plays back the same sound you set in the system. If not, scroll down the list and see if your file is listed, and try that, instead.

Facebook's push notifications? That was finicky to begin with. Check your notification settings in there, as well. You'll have to be in the app's "main" screen (not the default "news feed" screen) to access the notification settings.

If you're having trouble with Facebook's push notifications itself, and not the notification sound, check out this thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/android-applications/109343-facebook-push-notifications-solved.html

anon(378010)

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site

Thanks again Glenn. That fixed the notification sound. I will work on FB next.

AmericanBlond

May 14, 2012
Visit site

Someone please help me now! I have had my HTC EVO4G ANDROID for over a year and a half, and for some reason in the past 2 days it has decided to go on its own and only use the Swype option. I absolutely hate this and cannot figure out how to uninstall or disable this function anymore. I never had any problems in the past but now I can't get rid of it and I'm ready to throw my phone out the window!
amybeth (dot) g mail (dot) com. I am begging for your help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bonnieeugene