Nexus 1 sold at Verizon stores?

tere12

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
When the N1 comes out in the spring,
does anyone know if it will be sold at Verizon retail stores or will they only be sold by Google?

I read someplace that they'll only be available for sale from Google,
and that service alone will be from Verizon, but we won't be able
to actualy buy the phone at Verizon stores.

I just want to know if anyone has further information confirming this.

Thanks!!

tere12

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
thanks for the reply.

I'm just at the beginning of a two year contract with Verizon and Droid Eris.
If I want to get the N1 from Google with Verizon as the carrier, keeping the same number as on the Eris, will I have to pay a "penalty" fee for renewing my
contract before two year period? or is it just a simple matter of starting a new contract all over again, only paying activation fee with Verizon?
I don't want to ask Verizon because I have a feeling they'll tell me something that is incorrect.
thanks!!

entwined82

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
You can't get a new phone at the contract price until you're up for an upgrade.

You can pay full price for the N1 though and activate it and maybe sell your Droid Eris to make a little bit of that money back though.

Typically I believe activation fees refer to the line of service, not the activation of the device itself. Don't quote me on this but I don't think you'll have to pay another activation fee.

Rusty Shackelford

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
There will be no activation fee for switching devices, but since the phone is sold directly from google there will be no way for the carrier to subsidize it, so you will have to buy full retail price. According to the google site (here), you're looking at spring 2010.

zeuswsu

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
That stinks verizon won't be selling it. Normally you have the option of buying a new phone through verizon for the 1 year discounted price even if you just started your 2 year contract. They let people do this if they lose their phone or their phone quits working and its not covered through the warranty, etc. So since google sells it your stuck paying full price. sucks.

tere12

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
What makes me mad is that Verizon does not tell you that they'll be getting the N1 soon.
If you go to their website, there is no mention at all of the N1. LIke, before the iPhone came out, AT&T had it all over their website, so people knew it was coming soon, and they waited to renew their contract when the iPhone was out.
I would have waited too if I'd known that the N1 was coming out so soon.
Unfortunately, I was not checking the sites and forums when I renewed my contract and got the Eris.

gobluejd

Jan 28, 2010
Visit site
There will be no activation fee for switching devices, but since the phone is sold directly from google there will be no way for the carrier to subsidize it, so you will have to buy full retail price.

Not sure if this is true. With T Mobile you can buy subsidized @ $179? Why would VZW not offer the same?

That makes no sense. There are maybe a handful of peeps would buy full retail, the rest would just stay with driod/eris. Don't see VZW customers having to pay full retail.

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
what about new every two discount? i just qualified for my new every two and wanted to apply to nexus 1 when released. i hope i can still use. this is a BS distribution model, i dont get it. why not just send the phones to verizon and let them sell and support. i dont see any benefit to this model. follow the droids footsteps.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Not sure if this is true. With T Mobile you can buy subsidized @ $179? Why would VZW not offer the same?

That makes no sense. There are maybe a handful of peeps would buy full retail, the rest would just stay with driod/eris. Don't see VZW customers having to pay full retail.

Yes, there will be a subsidy for those of you on Verizon. Just depends on whether or not you are up for a upgrade. If not you will forced to pay full price. It will be handled the same way they have it set up with T-Mobile.

tere12

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
A nice thing that Google could do is offer a discount price to Verizon customers who just recently upgraded to another Android phone within the past three months (like me), much the same way that, when Apple lowered the price of the iPhone, they offered to pay back the difference to the people who had recently bought one at the higher price.
In this economy, it would be a nice gesture on Google's part, as well as it would show they have good customer relations.
Like someone said, these phones don't grow on trees, and we work hard for our money.

pmdied

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
I would consider the Nexus even though I've only had my Eris since November. My big issue is that I find the PIM very inadequate compared to my Palm's PIM and applications such as Agendus were my main workhorse for business management. I've noticed that some devs are making more relevent apps that try to integrate into Google's calendar, which is promising, but I'm on the fence as to jump to a "better" phone if the PIM is just the same as the Eris/Droid.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
A nice thing that Google could do is offer a discount price to Verizon customers who just recently upgraded to another Android phone within the past three months (like me), much the same way that, when Apple lowered the price of the iPhone, they offered to pay back the difference to the people who had recently bought one at the higher price.
In this economy, it would be a nice gesture on Google's part, as well as it would show they have good customer relations.
Like someone said, these phones don't grow on trees, and we work hard for our money.

I don't think it was 3 months, more life 6 months to a year. Even then it was not a full subsidy. Don't expect Google to be so generous to discount this phone if you purchased a new one in the past 3 months. That's like me purchasing the Moto Droid and getting mad at Verizon because the Nexus One is coming now. You can't blame Google or Verizon.

Everyone is aware that new devices come out all the time and you signed a contract agreeing to specific terms. If you want one, get ready to pay the full $550.

PHLAK

Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
What makes me mad is that Verizon does not tell you that they'll be getting the N1 soon. If you go to their website, there is no mention at all of the N1.

This is probably because VZW doesn't earn a cut from the sale of any unlocked phone. Therefore, they have no incentive to advertise it.

briankeith513

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
What makes me mad is that Verizon does not tell you that they'll be getting the N1 soon.
If you go to their website, there is no mention at all of the N1. LIke, before the iPhone came out, AT&T had it all over their website, so people knew it was coming soon, and they waited to renew their contract when the iPhone was out.

This is because Verizon won't be getting Nexus One.....Google will be selling a Nexus One that can be used on Verizon. Verizon isn't selling it....Google is. You compare the Iphone being on At&t's website...well, AT&T actually sells the Iphone.

entwined82

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
Not to mention..why would they promote an upcoming phone and risk cutting into current sales right now? "Hey guys this fantastic new phone is due out in 3 months..but buy this one today anyways" isn't a good sales pitch.

edwinc8811

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
yeah, that little spring 2010 announcement already cut into the droid sales since people are saving their upgrade and waiting for the nexus

archie53

Feb 20, 2010
Visit site
From a T-Mo customer that wants an N1 and won't pay full retail, unless things change form the way they are now you can not get a discount if your are on a family plan. I have two lines with full upgrades and can not get a subsidized price on an N1. Also if you upgrade you don't get it for 179 you get it for 279. The 179 price is for new lines only. I'm hoping these rules change soon or when it comes out for Verizon, there are two N1's waiting to be shipped to my house but not at full retail.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
huangsenyuan