Nexus 4 apps sleeping when screen is blanked

rober1s

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I believe the Nexus 4 has a problem that I first noticed when using GrooveIP, but then I noticed that it was happening with Gmail and Facebook as well. The problem is that about 1 minute after you blank the screen, the apps all go to sleep. I'm using a WiFi connection, and I have WiFi settings set to always keep the WiFi on. But, all of the above-mentioned apps go to sleep a minute after the screen is blanked. GrooveIP stops answering incoming calls, and both Gmail and Facebook stop updating and do not send notifications for new messages. Turning the screen back on brings them out of sleep, and they all start to work again.

Has anybody else experienced this?

Thanks,

--Doug
doug@parrot-farm.net

Last edited:

rober1s

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Last edited:

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
If you haven't done so already, reboot your phone. Turn it on then press and hold the power button until a menu pops up; tap the Power off option. After completely shutdown, press and hold the power button for five seconds until the phone vibrates once; let go and phone will restart.

I doubt this is a hardware problem or a stock OS problem. If it persists, it seems likely to be related to a third-party app; I would begin by visiting the Play Store page for each app you have loaded and check the user feedback to see if anyone else is complaining of similar issues.

Regarding your last statement above, I am on 4.2.1, often use a bluetooth headset, and have no problems at all regarding "activating bluetooth kills WiFi." When a new OS version leads to problems for some but not all users, it is usually because those users have one or more apps which are not compatible with the latest OS release.

rober1s

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I just spoke with Google support, who were surprisingly efficient. They think my Nexus 4 has a hardware defect an they said they would replace it. You all might want to check if your Nexus 4s are putting apps like Gmail and Facebook to sleep when you blank the screen. You will know if they are because message notifications will not occur.

- - - Updated - - -

If you haven't done so already, reboot your phone. Turn it on then press and hold the power button until a menu pops up; tap the Power off option. After completely shutdown, press and hold the power button for five seconds until the phone vibrates once; let go and phone will restart.

I doubt this is a hardware problem or a stock OS problem. If it persists, it seems likely to be related to a third-party app; I would begin by visiting the Play Store page for each app you have loaded and check the user feedback to see if anyone else is complaining of similar issues.

Regarding your last statement above, I am on 4.2.1, often use a bluetooth headset, and have no problems at all regarding "activating bluetooth kills WiFi." When a new OS version leads to problems for some but not all users, it is usually because those users have one or more apps which are not compatible with the latest OS release.

Did all that, plus did a factory reset this morning. See my note about speaking with Google support. There are apparently a few Nexus 4's out there with this hardware issue. And I was just lucky enough to get one of them.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MapleSyrup