Nexus 4 Audio Stops/Pauses Frequently

inomad

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I am new to Android, I recently migrated from the iPhone. I had iPhones since 2007, and am enjoying my Nexus 4 very much.

My Nexus would be nearly perfect, if I did not regularly experience an audio playback glitch.

Randomly, audio playback pauses. The audio sometimes pauses after just 2 minutes of listening, and at other times occurs after 10-15+ minutes of listening... with the screen off. The audio pauses when using any of my multiple pairs of headphones, and even via Bluetooth streaming audio. I believe the issue has also occurred when using the built-in speaker. The audio pauses when streaming via wifi networks and AT&T 3G.
The audio pauses when using the following music apps: Google Play Music, Spotify, SiriusXM, Beyond Pod.

Sometimes the audio resumes when I press the power button. Sometimes I have to unlock the device and the audio resumes. Sometimes I have to press "play" again from the App.

I would love to be able to play uninterrupted audio from my Nexus.

I have searched for a solution many times, but have been unsuccessful. Does anybody have any suggestions?
Thank you

Last edited:

krmurrayjr

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted to add that I've had the same problem on my Nexus 4. Playback in BeyondPod and Google Music will pause randomly, and I haven't been able to see any rhyme or reason for it.

I meant to pay attention when 4.3 arrived, just to see if by some chance that fixed this bug, but I can't recall now if it's done it since I installed 4.3.

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I had a similar problem with Play Music on 4.2.2. The music didn't pause randomly, but the audio level suddenly would drop. Pausing and playing would fix it for a few moments or minutes. Other times it the audio level would go back up on its own after a few seconds.

The problem occurred out of the blue after four months and then went away after a few days. I still don't know what caused it. Initially I thought it was related to using a BT headset instead of wired earbuds, but it resumed working fine with the BT headset. The problem occurred only with Play Music. Amazon MP3, Sky.FM and Pandora all worked fine.

Gursoy Yerli

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
My Galaxy S4 has the same behavior during Bluetooth audio playback. However, one thing that I noticed is that Google Music works w/o any interruptions.

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
You might try emptying the play music cache or try a different player. I find rocket player is more than stable. You might also have a conflict between apps as well.

thehicks

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I have a GS4 (sprint) and it pauses audio all the time regardless of the application.
I am fairly sure I have determined it is connected to any change in network status.....ie. the data changes from WiFi to 3g, 4g to 3g, etc.
The worst is when you are in a location where 3g is fading in and out and 3g and 4g are competing for my phone...it may pause many times in a minute.
There are locations on my run where this will predictably reoccur each time....it is completely infuriating.

Sh3ngLong

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I've had this random pausing issue since I first got my Note II over a year ago, but it only happened with certain bluetooth devices (like the HTC StereoClip and Kinivo BTC450).

After upgrading my phone to 4.3 a couple of weeks ago, the random pausing issue went away for me.

HTCTundaBow

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
My N4 will go into silent mode on its own. The volume rocker won't work, and I can't even turn the volume up manually in the settings. I have to reboot my phone for the volume to come back. It's just media volume and not the call volume.

Sh3ngLong

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Wow, that's a long thread of 4.4 BT issues. Thanks for sharing the link. Glad it's a very common problem. Something that common I assume would get addressed right away.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II