Nexus 5 connects in fastboot mode but not in MTP

drbubbles

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
I can connect my Nexus 5 to my PC in fastboot mode using the USB cable, but once the os is installed and the nexus boots up, it very briefly pops up in device manager and as "Nexus 5" in explorer, then immediately disappears again from both (with the accompanying bugh-bah sound, followed by bah-bugh as it disconnects).

The cable successfully installed the os, so I assume the cable is fine.

If I reboot the phone, then connect to USB again, it does the same; shows up for a moment then disconnects again.

I have tried the same procedure whilst first having installed drivers from: i) the android SDK, ii) google and iii) LG.

There are a few other threads with connection issues but not like this as far as I can tell.

Any ideas?
Thanks!

Last edited:

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
The fact that it connects in fastboot mode means that your drivers should be ok.
When you connect to your PC (when OS is booted up), try these
  1. Does your phone prompt you to select connection mode? Pull down your notification bar to see these options (Charging/File transfers(MTP)/Photo transfers(PTP)..)?
  2. In your computer's device manager, look for the phone - does it show up with a yellow triangle? (does it even show up?)

drbubbles

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for taking the time to answer jj14x.
1) The phone doesn't prompt me to select connection mode when I plug it into the USB port. TO get to MTP vs charging etc I have to pull down, then go to settings, then developer, then scroll down to the section that has Charging / MTP / PTP etc. I've tried swapping back and forth between MTP and Charging.
2) Yes, "Nexus 5" shows up under "Portable Devices" in device manager, but only for a split second after I plug it in after having rebooted the phone. After that the "Nexus 5" entry is then only visible when I select "View", "Show hidden devices" in device manager. I can uninstall driver, then go through the process again, of rebooting phone and connecting it via USB. Nexus 5 then reappears briefly then disappears again.

The phone doesn't prompt me when I plug in though, which is maybe important? The android version I am running is image-hammerhead-mmb29q. Installed using flash-all.bat

Again, thank you for helping.

drbubbles

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
Problem solved. It was my dock connector. I replaced it and now I can connect. Odd considering I could transfer files during fastboot. Oh well.