Nexus 5 LG-D821 Model - Is There Any Way To Get LTE with T-Mobile?

AzAssassin

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
I just traded my T-Mobile LG G2 to someone for a Nexus 5 two days ago and it turns out that the Nexus 5 I got is actually the LG-D821 model, which is the International version and does not seem to be capable of picking up T-Mobile's LTE signal; and, possibly, is not capable of detecting the LTE signal of any of the U.S. carriers (AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon).

Honestly, before trading for this phone two days ago and then looking at the model number on the back cover of this phone to check it out online, I had not even been aware that there was an International version and a North American version of the Nexus 5`. After doing some Google searching and reading some posts and information in various forums, it looks like the D821 is just not capable of receiving LTE on any of the U.S. carriers - but (as some post I read had alluded to possibly being the case), I do not know if this is because the D521 device physically lacks the hardware to be able to receive these bands, or if they are just disabled and can possibly be enabled, ala the Nexus 4 LTE-access workaround.

So, I'm turning here to try to get some answers about this. The phone I now have is a white 32GB Nexus 5 (LG-D821) and seems to be in good working and physical condition, with the only issue being that it will not pick up an LTE signal with my T-Mobile SIM card in it, so it's not like I have a worthless device. The phone seems to switch quite frequently between '3G' and 'H' signal reception, which would seem to be unusual (I don't recall my LG G2 or previous Nexus 5 switching so frequently), but the data speeds are still pretty good without LTE. I did a speed test with the Seedtest.net app and it got around 14Mbps Down and 1.5Mbps Up, which isn't bad; but I currently live in Scottsdale, Arizona, which is just outside of Phoenix, and T-Mobile's LTE coverage and service here are excellent - and I have the Unlimited LTE Data plan on my personal line - so I would really like to be able to access and take advantage of the excellent LTE coverage in the area.

So, basically, I'm curious if anyone knows if it might be possible to somehow get this LG-D821 to receive T-Mobile's LTE signal here in Arizona? Or, as I suspect, does this device just physically lack the necessary components to be able to detect/receive the LTE frequencies here in the United States?

And if this phone is not capable of utilizing LTE service with my T-Mobile SIM, should I try to trade it for a North American version of the Nexus 5? Or list it on Swappa or eBay and try to sell it and then use the money to get a different phone? And if I were to try to sell it, does anyone know the value of this LG-D821 International version? Is it worth more/less/the same as a North American version Nexus 5?

As always, sorry for the long post. Some helpful replies would be greatly appreciated!

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I don't believe that model can work with American LTE networks since it doesn't have the right radios for it .

Only sprint , AT&T and t-Mobile support LTE for the nexus 5 American version

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AzAssassin

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't believe that model can work with American LTE networks since it doesn't have the right radios for it .

Only sprint , AT&T and t-Mobile support LTE for the nexus 5 American version

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That's what I figured, but was hoping that maybe the proper radio/bands were installed in the phone and were just disabled and that they could somehow be enabled. I texted the guy whom I traded phones with the following day and he said that he had thought he was receiving an LTE signal with it while he had (and he also has T-Mobile), but that the speeds were good enough for him and that he wasn't sure if he had noticed the LTE signal. Also, the guy who had the phone had it rooted while he had it, so I thought that maybe rooting it may have enabled the phone's radio to activate bands that aren't normally active/working.

Can anyone confirm that the D921 model physically lacks the proper radio for LTE access in the U.S.?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If does - you just look at the specs and you'll see that the bands it covers aren't the ones used by AT&T (17) or TMobile (4). The closest it comes is 26 for 17 and part of 4 and 41 for the whole band 4. It's something like a TV that has only the odd channels, but you need to watch the even channels.

AzAssassin

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
If does - you just look at the specs and you'll see that the bands it covers aren't the ones used by AT&T (17) or TMobile (4). The closest it comes is 26 for 17 and part of 4 and 41 for the whole band 4. It's something like a TV that has only the odd channels, but you need to watch the even channels.

Thanks for replying with that information. It sucks that this great phone can't utilize the great LTE coverage and service where I live. I'm probably going to end up trying to trade the phone locally via Craigslist or listing it on Swappa or eBay, seeing as I would really like to get an LTE-capable device. Thanks again for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it!

Posted via the Android Central App

AzAssassin

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
exchange it with me, im in asia and accidently i bought D820 model instead of D821 :(

Hey, sorry for not replying sooner. Unfortunately, I already got rid of the International Version Nexus 5 that I had, after selling it on Swappa. If I still had it, I would have been willing to do a straight trade with you.

If you're still looking for an International version of the Nexus 5, I think there is one listed Swappa right now for around $230. So, you could probably sell yours on Swappa for around that price and then buy that one for $230. Or you could try posting a comment on that Swappa listing and see if that seller with the International version might be willing to trade you for your Nexus 5 US version.

Again, sorry for not replying sooner. And good luck in yourself the Nexus 5 that you're looking for!