Nexus 6 battery is horrible. I think I am sending it back.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I can't believe how bad the battery life is on this big turd. When I first got it I installed all the updates as it came with 5.0 all the way to 5.1.1. Then I factory reset it and logged into my account. It took over two hours for it to download all my apps while I left it plugged in to charge. The battery charged fine. After which 100% would stay for a while. Then overnight I had over 10% battery drain. Rebooted and saw the stupid gap in the battery. It was fine for about 2 hours. Then I rebooted again gap in the battery meter. I did about 4 cache partiton wipes. I ran Pixel off which reduced the brightness. I even ran GServiceFix but still terrible battery life.

I can sometimes see my battery percentage go down in real time. I open up Chrome read one webpage, battery can goes down. Also the device use to get very warm even just viewing webpages until I started to use Pixel off. My Nexus 5 has battery problems and I do suddenly get battery drain with the battery gap but that is usually after about 3 or 4 days. Now with this big turd I can at most go about 2 hours before the battery starts to drain. Battery goes down 1% more. I reboot and my battery history is gone and the battery goes down 1%.

I am going to say it no I don't have Facebook installed. I turned off Google Now, Okay Google, Location history, Location set to Battery Mode. Same apps installed on this device as my Nexus 5.

I think I am going back to my reliable Nexus 5 and sending this thing back to Amazon but if anyone has any solutions it would be great.

Last edited:

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Sounds like it could be a defective unit. My wife's Nexus 6 has been fast, buttery smooth and trouble-free with very good battery life. And it's an early unit. She loves the thing.

Android since v1.0. Linux since 2001.

kct1975

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like it could be a defective unit. My wife's Nexus 6 has been fast, buttery smooth and trouble-free with very good battery life. And it's an early unit. She loves the thing.

I completely agree!

So far the battery on my Nexus 6 has been great!

It has been even better than the battery on my old HTC M8.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Okay then. Is battery life suppose to suck the first week? I am saying this because I had similar issues with my Nexus 5 it first had crummy battery life.
Does your device get warm to the touch when using it? I don't mean playing games but actually web browsing etc.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Okay I forgot to mention earlier that my battery was 95% after I rebooted running GServiceFix and the partition cache wipe but as soon as I plugged my phone into the charger not even 5 seconds later it went from 95% to 100% then I unplugged it and it took 1 1/2 hours in standby to go down to 99%. Also every time I reboot the device my battery info in both GSAM Battery and Lollipop Battery manger gets wiped. It shows whatever battery life I have but nothing else like it I just unplugged after being charged. Do you think I am getting over paranoid and the battery % is not really accurate. It is a new phone I got from Amazon only 2 days ago?

Derek1267

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Okay then. Is battery life suppose to suck the first week? I am saying this because I had similar issues with my Nexus 5 it first had crummy battery life.
Does your device get warm to the touch when using it? I don't mean playing games but actually web browsing etc.

I just got mine about a week ago. My battery has lasted me more than a day on the average. As for heating up, I noticed it get a tad warm but that was about it. You might have to get a replacement.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
N6 Battery Life [owners thread] | Nexus 6 | XDA Forums
Maybe I don't have a problem. Like my Nexus 5 when the screen is on the battery tanks but worse on the Nexus 6 but with the screen off streaming music the battery life is the same as my Nexus 5.

Also I meant to say that my battery was charged to 100% then around 9 AM when I took my pills the battery was 100%. About 4 hours after I woke up it was at 97% then I messed around with GServiceFix which has stupid ads which caused the battery to drain then after rebooting it went down to 95%. What I don't get is when I plugged it in for only 5 seconds it went right up to 100% and no I am not using the stock charger. I am using a Anker iQ charger which is great. It charged my Nexus 5 super fast BTW.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
When I replied before it had slipped by me that you had run GServiceFix. This app was a hack workaround for an old bug which no longer exists. Probably never did do anything good and certainly doesn't now. Very possible that this app is causing at least part of your problems.

Uninstall!

If you've installed any task killers, RAM memory optimizers/boosters, battery savers/repairers, cache cleaners, etc etc, uninstall ALL of them! None of that stuff is necessary or beneficial. Such apps are actually counterproductive and some are just plain evil. They actually waste power, disrupt critical system processes and degrade performance. Not to mention the nag ads many throw up.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Thank you I will be uninstalling it. It looked fishy when a ad popup up and then when it completed a full screen ad came up.

If you've installed any task killers, RAM memory optimizers/boosters, battery savers/repairers, cache cleaners, etc etc, uninstall ALL of them! None of that stuff is necessary or beneficial. Such apps are actually counterproductive and some are just plain evil. They actually waste power, disrupt critical system processes and degrade performance. Not to mention the nag ads many throw up.

What about Greenify? I have that installed.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Greenify is probably the only 'battery saver' that might be useful in certain circumstances. It works differently than typical battery savers.

That said, it's not often that Greenify would actually be useful and beneficial. I have no use for it and don't have it installed. If you feel like you just have to muck around with it, use it very sparingly and carefully.

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
reboot in safe mode and take your time adding apps to see what is draining your battery. You might not have a hardware problem.

WP7Nettwerk

May 21, 2015
Visit site
I have better battery life on Nexus 6, than iPhone 6 Plus. Specialy in the work. Never iPhone been usable after 6h in the work. Nexus 6 battery left usual 40-60%. Because network coverage is crap and I'm heavy user. I have all staff connected, Moto 360, LTE, all notifications on.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Okay I deleted a bunch of apps that I never use. I also deleted my Google account setting and re-added it again. I charged the battery to 95%. It shows it used 3% in 7 hours in standby.

I guess I am just over paranoid on battery. Half the time I can't sleep at night checking my phone if my battery is draining. Like every 10 minutes or so. Also I realized that the battery life is better than the Nexus 5 as I was using it last night in airplaine mode as I don't have it activated no more and the the battery went down 10% with about 30 minutes of OST. It seems that the Nexus 6 battery went down less with about the same OST just that it got warmer.

I was hoping for earthshaking battery like the iPhone 6 Plus but I hate iOS as you can't even do something so simple like set a different default browser.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
guess I am just over paranoid on battery. Half the time I can't sleep at night checking my phone if my battery is draining. Like every 10 minutes or so.

Yeah that is a little extreme. I wouldn't worry that much about it.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I agree something is bjorked. I'm getting 3-5 hours SOT in 28-40 hours on a normal charge and I don't turn stuff off.

M Dev Nexus 6 Assassin Edition. Gonfaloniere

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
My advice would be to not obsess over the battery indicator and see what kind of usage you are getting. If it is getting you through a day don't worry about it.

If it truly bothers you try to exchange for another one and see if it has a better indicator. Sounds like your issue is the indicator and not necessarily the battery.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Okay is 29% 1day 18 hours with 7% cell standby okay. I am worried about the cell standby. Of course I only have about 30 minutes or les of OST. Most is just streaming music services.

The reason why I am paranoid is because I have a cousin who has a iPhone 6 Plus and in standby he barely uses any battery with cell standby.
Screenshot_2015-07-24-13-58-40.jpg
Also I am asking why sometimes when you reboot you will see the battery meter go away and then cell standby % is gone.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Okay is 29% 1day 18 hours with 7% cell standby okay. I am worried about the cell standby. Of course I only have about 30 minutes or les of OST. Most is just streaming music services.

The reason why I am paranoid is because I have a cousin who has a iPhone 6 Plus and in standby he barely uses any battery with cell standby.
View attachment 188504
Also I am asking why sometimes when you reboot you will see the battery meter go away and then cell standby % is gone.

Two different operating systems, processors, radios, etc. I'm not sure we can make a direct comparison, but generally I agree that the iPhones are great at idling.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Two different operating systems, processors, radios, etc. I'm not sure we can make a direct comparison, but generally I agree that the iPhones are great at idling.

I agree with this as well. The iPhone can idle very well -- no doubt on that -- but it is a different OS. Apple restricts more things than Android does so.. Android has the potential to have less drain (depending per user) if they have more stuff running. For iOS it pretty much automatically locks down apps and isn't as free so the drain is smaller.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlantisx