Nexus 6P - I pulled the plug and went to Cricket - very happy

gquiring

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I ordered the SIM kit and it came the next day for $10. I ported my number (no charge if done online) and everything switched smoothly. I switched from AT&T. I went with Cricket's basic plan which is unlimited talk/text and 2.5gb of data for $35 a month. You must have autopay setup otherwise it's $5 more. Cricket has a visual voice mail app and I have no complaints.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: I pulled the plug and went to Cricket - very happy

I have a buddy that went to Cricket and is enjoying it. They are one of my many considerations the day I don't need unlimited.. but for now my unlimited talk/txt/data for $50 will do. Still cheap and I don't have to worry about a cap.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

I used Cricket for about two years but switched to Google's Project Fi when I got my 6P. Works great and a bit less expensive than Cricket.

My wife's Nexus 5 is still on Cricket.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site

I used Cricket for about two years but switched to Google's Project Fi when I got my 6P. Works great and a bit less expensive than Cricket.

My wife's Nexus 5 is still on Cricket.

Unless you need more than 1gb of data. Then it's $40 a month for 2gb.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Unless you need more than 1gb of data. Then it's $40 a month for 2gb.

Not exactly. The ACTUAL charge is made by the penny, hence if you pre-pay for 2GB service and only use 1.15GB in a month, you will get a $8.50 credit on next month's billing. Conversely, if you pre-pay for 1GB service and actually use 1.15GB, you will pay an additional $1.50 on your next billing - or - if you pre-pay for 1GB and only use 750MB, you will get a $2.50 credit.

I have Wi-Fi at home and at work, so my cellular data rarely runs higher than about 800MB, thus I always pre-pay on the 1GB default plan and usually get a ~$2.00 credit each month.

clownin72

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

I switched from Verizon and did the pro plan with 10 gb of data. Couldn't be happier. Strangely better coverage where I use it the most than Verizon

Posted via the Android Central App

shamdawg

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

Do you get HD voice, volte, and wifi calling with cricket? How about project fi (I know fi has wifi calling, but what about HD voice and volte)?

gquiring

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

No Volte or wifi calling with Cricket.

I have an invite for Google Fi but it would not be good for me. TMobile and Sprint don't cover the areas I visit in SC. We don't even get good Verizon coverage where I live, 1 bar in most cases, you have to leave your house to make a call. And Verizon claims they cover the area! So AT&T was the best service for my needs but their pricing was a bit high. I love having an unlocked phone that the carriers can't touch with their crappy programs forced on us.

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site

Have you considered prepaid with AT&T to save some bucks? I'm considering prepaid with Verizon as I'm in the same boat as you except opposite carriers.

Posted from the 6P of Aluminum Doom

jim1405

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site

My Cricket SIM should be here tomorrow and I'm looking forward to trying it out. I've been using a T-Mobile prepaid voice plan for ever but finally going bite the bullet and am step up to a plan with data. This past week I have been giving Page Plus a try to see how the Verizon network would be around my home and disappointingly the signal isn't any better than T-Mobile. Both are really weak. Even on Verizon LTE I'm lucky to get 5mb/s around around here. Although Cricket has an 8 mb/s limit if I can get a decent signal it will be better than Verizon and good enough for what I use it for.

One nice thing about Cricket as I understand it is the $35 plan is $35 total with no additional taxes, surcharges or fees that tend to drive price of postpaid plans way higher than advertised.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

My Cricket SIM should be here tomorrow and I'm looking forward to trying it out. I've been using a T-Mobile prepaid voice plan for ever but finally going bite the bullet and am step up to a plan with data. This past week I have been giving Page Plus a try to see how the Verizon network would be around my home and disappointingly the signal isn't any better than T-Mobile. Both are really weak. Even on Verizon LTE I'm lucky to get 5mb/s around around here. Although Cricket has an 8 mb/s limit if I can get a decent signal it will be better than Verizon and good enough for what I use it for.

One nice thing about Cricket as I understand it is the $35 plan is $35 total with no additional taxes, surcharges or fees that tend to drive price of postpaid plans way higher than advertised.

That is correct.

One negative thing that hasn't been mentioned yet: you can't do tethering with a Cricket account on most phones. The AT&T sim (Cricket is an AT&T MVNO) blocks it and Cricket does not offer any plan that allows it. Also, I was never able to get a VPN connection to work while on Cricket; as far as I can tell, Cricket/AT&T block traffic on the ports necessary for VPNs.

gquiring

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

That's a good point. I was paying AT&T $50.51 cents per month with taxes. Now it's $35 and I get a lot more data.

vtpmt81

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

I am on AT&T GoPhone and they charge about 50 cents in taxes. I pay $55.50 a month for 5 GB of data (with 30 day rollover).

If Cricket is completely tax free then I might consider them. I am debating between possibly switching to either Cricket and T-Mobile right now.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

I am on AT&T GoPhone and they charge about 50 cents in taxes. I pay $55.50 a month for 5 GB of data (with 30 day rollover).

If Cricket is completely tax free then I might consider them. I am debating between possibly switching to either Cricket and T-Mobile right now.

To be clear, it's not that they are tax-free or fee-free, it's just that it is all built into the published price. $40 is exactly that, $40, unless you take the auto-pay discount in which case it is $35. Exactly $35.

jimt1029

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site

Cricket does offer "official" hotspot access for certain Cricket branded phones as a $10 addon. You can view details on their website, under "Support > Plans & Features".

My family has been on Cricket for a few years (since it was AIO, before name was switched to Cricket after At&T bought out the old Cricket Wireless). We have no regrets. In our location, it is hard to beat the coverage, data allotments and price.

Sgooter

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site

I'll switch to Cricket for their $35 plan when my Verizon contract (1GB for $61) ends in May. Will use my Verizon GS4 - already tried it with an active Cricket SIM and it works fine for me; don't have a need for 4G LTE.

gquiring

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

I am having one minor problem with their Android Visual Voice mail app. It won't remember my PIN. I am using unique digits, nothing repeating. Every time I get a new voice mail the app is prompting me to setup my PIN.

mxmarcus

May 7, 2010
Visit site

The only issue I had with Cricket was I couldn't text message to some countries.
I switched to T-Mobile $30/month 5GB LTE data and 100 minutes and I use free Google voice for my calls.
Now I am looking into Straight Talk $45/month plan

wlonsdale

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site

That is correct.

One negative thing that hasn't been mentioned yet: you can't do tethering with a Cricket account on most phones. The AT&T sim (Cricket is an AT&T MVNO) blocks it and Cricket does not offer any plan that allows it. Also, I was never able to get a VPN connection to work while on Cricket; as far as I can tell, Cricket/AT&T block traffic on the ports necessary for VPNs.

There is a good app out there if you're rooted. Wifi Tether Router works great!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlueSun