Nexus 6P - Left my first USB-C charger in a hotel room

metallifan33

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I travel a lot and my fears finally came true last week. I left my Nexus 6P type C charger in a hotel room. Didn't realize it till I got home a few states away. When I called the hotel, the lady at the front desk asked me, "Is it an iPhone or Android charger". I said, "an Android charger... but..."
Anyway, it never re-surfaced, so I was stuck with the Type A to Type C converter cable that came with the phone (Thank Science I got a 6P and not a 5X). Also I couldn't find a B&M store (Best Buy, Fry's, etc.) that carries a type C charger.
I went on the Google website and ordered another charger but didn't see that it didn't come with a two way cable. Basically only one end has the type C connector, the other end just goes straight into the charger (so I can't use the cable to connect to my computer... which I do often when travelling... I don't have a type C connector on my laptop now, but I assume I will in the near future). I know I should have paid more attention when I ordered it, but I thought that all cell phone chargers had to have a two-way cable now by law?
Here is the one I got
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...tion/accessories_wall?hl=en-US&token=kpxi85Je
Oh well. Such are the challenges of being on the leading edge of technology.

Last edited:

Indyrobb

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Re: Left my first USB-C charger in a hotel room

You might check this set out, it's identical to the original from a look perspective, and from what I can tell, using it as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B017...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5012318

It goes for 23, and sometimes it's cheaper with a promo code. The other one that I've used is from choetech.

And no, I didn't get them free for my unbiased review. Haha. 😁

Posted via the Android Central App

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site

but I thought that all cell phone chargers had to have a two-way cable now by law?

I don't think there's a law for that. I think what you're thinking of was the EU's attempt to standardize across all device and platforms with a single connector on the device end. That was met with the need by Apple to include an adapter in the box for the EU, if they did anything at all to comply.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site

Have you heard of Amazon? Just buy a Type C charger (about $20) and a C to C cable ($10-$15)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

15 bucks for a cable. A CABLE!!!! :(

Also, when traveling, some hotels have upgraded their rooms to include USB chargers in their walls, and most airports have those as well. If you stick to a C-C cable, you're out of luck in using those. And since some hotels only let you plug in one or two AC outlets, you either carry around a splitter or rely on as many ports as you can get your hands on.

Soundtallica

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Well, you can use a micro USB to C adapter. You'll lose fast charging but it's better than overpaying for a cable.

Posted via my up-to-date Nexus 6P

spawndoodling

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Let me just say how much I empathize with the OP! I lost the charger Google shipped with my 6P on vacation the night before I was scheduled to return. The result was a mad dash scramble through Radio Shack, Best Buy, and Walmart to find hordes on horde that would charge my phone. Three cables later, nothing worked with my device. All seemed to be either shams or Apple Macbook 12" compatible alone. Not even two-day delivery from Amazon Prime would get me a USB-C charger in enough time to travel with a charged phone.

Not to mention the fact that Amazon is chalk full of USB-C chargers that do not work; one would think that Google would've put official seals of approval on USB-C chargers that work with Nexus devices and Chromebooks instead of opening up their customers to the possibility of frying their devices. Yes, a Google engineer has been kind enough to note in the comments which USB-C chargers are up to spec, but this was all in all a very confusing process. Some reviewers below the engineer noted that these same up-to-spec chargers did not work.

At the end of the day, my solution was ordering two third-party USB-C chargers on Amazon and overnighting them like a madman. I also ordered two USB-C chargers from Google (overnighting one of them for an ungodly amount). I went without a charged phone for a full day of travel, which is not something I was OK with.

Now, I thankfully have multiple chargers and have been very vigilant in putting them in multiple places to ensure that I am never without a charger.

Obviously, USB-C is not ready for primetime. That Samsung sat out this year was quite frustrating, because USB-C is really a great concept. First, Apple and Google are finally on the same page and may look to kill proprietary chargers once and for all (bridging the longstanding iPhone-Android charging divide--yes, this is a big deal). Second, the charger is reversible. Third, fast charging has been very impressive with USB-C. And fourth, the smaller footprint of the charging port means that Google and others can do more inside the phone.

But I also thought for a moment that maybe--again--Nexus isn't ready for primetime either.

For those of us who care about stock Android and timely updates, we are definitely in a pickle. On the one hand, the 6P is truly the best phone that I have ever owned and Android 6.0.1+ has an array of fantastic features. But on the other hand, if Google hopes to take my money in the future, they really have to build a superb network of service to get there. Not just Nexus Protection and a few adapters and accessories here and there on the Google Store, but meaningful customer service, a wider array of adapters/accessories not just available on the Google Store but also on Amazon, and perhaps even a more meaningful physical presence in stores like Best Buy.

azzurribaggio

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
My Type C to C wall charger has crapped out, I'm currently using my USB typeA to C charger (slow charging). I bought the nexus protect for my phone and thought I'd just file a claim, but I'd have to pay a $79 deductible and didn't feel like paying that much for a charger! I'm going to give them a call to see if I can get another one for free because I just bought mine in 11/25/2015.

Anyone else been in this situation?

Sammytheorangutan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
I have a couple USB C-microUSB adapters and have dozens of micro USB-USB cables as well as multiple USB chargers. Slow charging is better than NO charging.

Pirate Arr

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I broke mine unfortunately and not wanting to buy any that might pose a threat brought the USB type c to USB type c cable.https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...tion/accessories_wall?hl=en-US&token=QSGOFaIB Didn't really care about the 20 dollars for a cable. Money is indifferent especially to USB Type C cables where some are dangerous for those less aware and I was fine coughing 20 bucks for a even longer cable. Some of those here look great as well though and sucks I didn't find this thread before hand lol.

#TeamFrosty Nexus 6P

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Let me just say how much I empathize with the OP! I lost the charger Google shipped with my 6P on vacation the night before I was scheduled to return. The result was a mad dash scramble through Radio Shack, Best Buy, and Walmart to find hordes on horde that would charge my phone. Three cables later, nothing worked with my device. All seemed to be either shams or Apple Macbook 12" compatible alone. Not even two-day delivery from Amazon Prime would get me a USB-C charger in enough time to travel with a charged phone.

Not to mention the fact that Amazon is chalk full of USB-C chargers that do not work; one would think that Google would've put official seals of approval on USB-C chargers that work with Nexus devices and Chromebooks instead of opening up their customers to the possibility of frying their devices. Yes, a Google engineer has been kind enough to note in the comments which USB-C chargers are up to spec, but this was all in all a very confusing process. Some reviewers below the engineer noted that these same up-to-spec chargers did not work.

At the end of the day, my solution was ordering two third-party USB-C chargers on Amazon and overnighting them like a madman. I also ordered two USB-C chargers from Google (overnighting one of them for an ungodly amount). I went without a charged phone for a full day of travel, which is not something I was OK with.

Now, I thankfully have multiple chargers and have been very vigilant in putting them in multiple places to ensure that I am never without a charger.

Obviously, USB-C is not ready for primetime. That Samsung sat out this year was quite frustrating, because USB-C is really a great concept. First, Apple and Google are finally on the same page and may look to kill proprietary chargers once and for all (bridging the longstanding iPhone-Android charging divide--yes, this is a big deal). Second, the charger is reversible. Third, fast charging has been very impressive with USB-C. And fourth, the smaller footprint of the charging port means that Google and others can do more inside the phone.

But I also thought for a moment that maybe--again--Nexus isn't ready for primetime either.

For those of us who care about stock Android and timely updates, we are definitely in a pickle. On the one hand, the 6P is truly the best phone that I have ever owned and Android 6.0.1+ has an array of fantastic features. But on the other hand, if Google hopes to take my money in the future, they really have to build a superb network of service to get there. Not just Nexus Protection and a few adapters and accessories here and there on the Google Store, but meaningful customer service, a wider array of adapters/accessories not just available on the Google Store but also on Amazon, and perhaps even a more meaningful physical presence in stores like Best Buy.

Amazon is at least banning all the non-complaint USB-C cables (and I would hope chargers, as well).

I haven't traveled yet with my 6P. Not sure how I'll do it, yet. I suspect I may take my USB-C car charger and cable, combined with one of my older USB chargers and an A-C cable.