Nexus 7 Software Issues??? Please Help!!!

Heather Vernon

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I received a Nexus 7 16GB for Christmas. Yesterday i was switching web browsers and the screen went black.. When it came back on it asked me for "Password to decrypt storage?. This was a brand new device with no passwords.. so I called Google help desk. They suggested reset. That attempt was made and was unsuccessful. After it says it was resetting it would go back to the ?Password to decrypt storage? screen again. Google recommended return to store? Store does not have another 16GB.. only the 32GB.. The manager also informed me that he had 6 of the 16GB in back all with software issues.. black screens, lockups, etc.

Anyway, this is my first tablet. I am wondering if this software issues is big.. or if mine and the ones at the store just ?happen to have issues?. Is something wrong with the 16GB? Should I pay for the upgrade to the 32GB? Are the 32's showing any software issues?? Thanks guys!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if they sold you a returned unit, and the previous user had encrypted it. Although if the store did a factory reset, it should have gotten rid of the encryption.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes, B. Diddy is right on the money. This screen is exactly what you see when you encrypt the storage. (mine is encrypted because I use it for work)

So someone must have encrypted it and then returned it. You need to do a factory reset by shutting it off, and then holding all 3 buttons for a long time. I think that should initiate the factory reset, but I'm not 100% certain.

Heather Vernon

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
We did do the factory reset. It did not take... It would sit and act like it was resetting.. but in the end it would just go back to that encrypted screen.. Maybe it was a returned item.. it appeared new (unopened). However, I am not sure.. Anyway, the unit is now returned to the store.

So I am guessing there is no issue with the nexus 7 16GB in general???? That mine and the 6 at the store are just flukes?

ThreeChordMonte

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Have a 16GB myself. Haven't seen any issues. Must be a bad batch or all were returned and they tried to sell them as new.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramki