Nexus LTE drain with Skype possible Supernode?

McSlappy

May 13, 2012
Visit site
Interesting battery use. So I take the phone off the charger and leave 4G on which I have 4 bars so not a bad signal and let it sit on standby on the desk. I woke up sometime about 5am and looked at the phone. It was at 91% which okay 4 hours for 10% drain on standby that would put me at about 40 hours of standby. Not bad.

So I flip on Skype and go back to bed. Upon waking up and getting ready for work I checked the phone and 31% now with an interesting graph. Skype is definitely draining the battery something fierce. I don't know what the plato in the middle of the night was though. Seemed like Skype just stopped using battery and then started up on it's own again for some reason.

The real interesting thing though is Skype doesn't even show up on as a draining app. But it was literally the only thing that I turned on the 2nd half of the test so it has to be what is causing the drain.

I have a hunch could because of the LTE signal my phone is being turned in to a Supernode? I have tried this on Wi-Fi and Skype doesn't drain the battery hardly anything more then idle but that's also because Wi-Fi is behind a firewall. Could LTE's forced IPv6 be forcing the few IPv6 phone clients to be IPv6 Supernodes?

clicq0

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't think this is the case, since a few articles have suggested that Microsoft isn't using p2p supernodes for Skype anymore -- all the supernodes are on their servers. Reference: Skype replaces P2P supernodes with Linux boxes hosted by Microsoft (updated) | Ars Technica

It's been my experience that simply having LTE on drains power, probably because the LTE radio has to be powered on all the time. for your problem, you should run better battery stats to see if there's a wake lock or something.

McSlappy

May 13, 2012
Visit site
Have done further testing and it is only when Skype and LTE are on. No issues with over heating or massive power drain with Wi-Fi or 3G with skype running in the background.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cequens