Nexus one and Multi-touch

frettfreak

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
So all the info i have seen on this says that there is no multi-touch in the browser and maps... Does that mean there is multi-touch elsewhere.. and more importantly.. is that something that can be fixed with a software upgrade (cause that seems pretty lame for such a cool phone)?

dtboos

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The OS supports Multitouch as do all the screens. Its simply an OS Coding and can be implemented at will by google / creators of apps.

For example, PicSay has multitouch, Dolphin browser has multitouch, HTC has quite a bit of multitouch in their custom UI as they code it in. Most likely Google is trying to work around legal issues with Apple before they fully implement it, thats why its not native in stock Android systems and google apps. But the ability is there.

frettfreak

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Hmmm.. Apple has copywrite or something on multitouch in a map and browser? Kinda lame.. is google maps compatible with iphone? Google should just not make a compatible version if its going to be like that right? Or am I missing something?

herki

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I don't think Google needs to practically blackmail Apple to get the rights to multi-touch. Historically, the two companies have had fairly good relations. It's less so than in previous years, as they don't share any common members on their boards of directors any more (i.e. Eric Schmidt), but I'm sure they're still friendly enough for their lawyers to hammer a deal out.
It just needs some time.

Fatasaurus

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
ill let u kno on sunday herki... one of the guys that goes to my church works for google... he has ones so ill check it out and get back to u

TaeKwonDonkey

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
I don't think Google needs to practically blackmail Apple to get the rights to multi-touch. Historically, the two companies have had fairly good relations. It's less so than in previous years, as they don't share any common members on their boards of directors any more (i.e. Eric Schmidt), but I'm sure they're still friendly enough for their lawyers to hammer a deal out.
It just needs some time.

Actually, I disagree. I think Google should blackmail Apple but they should do it subtly. It really should have started after Google Voice was rejected from the Iphone app store. Without making any official or unofficial statements, Google should have stopped all google apps downloads on the Iphone and not updated the existing ones that people had already downloaded. I think they should do this temporarily until Google Voice is accepted into the app store and multitouch is allowed for all Android phones. I don't think they should go as far as to stop all google on use on Apple computers since search advertisement is Google's main source of income.

frettfreak

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Actually, I disagree. I think Google should blackmail Apple but they should do it subtly. It really should have started after Google Voice was rejected from the Iphone app store. Without making any official or unofficial statements, Google should have stopped all google apps downloads on the Iphone and not updated the existing ones that people had already downloaded. I think they should do this temporarily until Google Voice is accepted into the app store and multitouch is allowed for all Android phones. I don't think they should go as far as to stop all google on use on Apple computers since search advertisement is Google's main source of income.

Excellent idea!!! I know apple makes a decent product.. But i really dislike them (and the fact that they are so controlling over everything they have.. its a little ridiculous!!)

Protagonist

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Multitouch is essential these days. While Dolphin can be used for web browsing multitouch is sorely missed in the google maps app. Google needs to grow a pair, palm enabled multitouch on the Pre and Pixi without suffering Apple's wrath and they have next to nothing compared to google's resources and ability to sustain a patent challenge.

pbrennan42

Dec 17, 2009
www.philipbrennan.net
And this is why we in the EU fought so hard against patenting ideas rather than just patenting the implementation of these ideas.

US Patent Law: Apple can patent the IDEA of Multi-Touch and can still sue anyone who implements the idea even if they did it a totally different way to how Apple did it.

EU Patent Law: Apple would get laughed out of court, UNLESS the third party stole their code to do it.

Phil.

Last edited:

TaeKwonDonkey

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
Multitouch is essential these days. While Dolphin can be used for web browsing multitouch is sorely missed in the google maps app. Google needs to grow a pair, palm enabled multitouch on the Pre and Pixi without suffering Apple's wrath and they have next to nothing compared to google's resources and ability to sustain a patent challenge.

Apple's scared to challenge Palm in court because Palm has several mobile telephone patents that they could easily use to fight back against Apple. Google however does not but everyone knows that Google has the funds to find a deal with Apple but I think they're waiting until it comes to the point where multitouch becomes a right not a privilege and other manufacturers are implementing it without Apple's consent

tallbruva

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
And this is why we in the EU fought so hard against patenting ideas rather than just patenting the implementation of these ideas.

US Patent Law: Apple can patent the IDEA of Multi-Touch and can still sue anyone who implements the idea even if they did it a totally different way to how Apple did it.

EU Patent Law: Apple would get laughed out of court, UNLESS the third party stole their code to do it.

Phil.

Agreed.

Actually, Apple didn't invent multi-touch. Multi-touch has been experimented with since the 80's. This video is from TED in 2006, prior to the release of the iPhone in mid 2007, shows it in action.

Aside from that, HP, Dell and others are using multi-touch on desktops. So if there was a real case for litigation, everybody would have to jump in the pool. Unless they are licensing it from Apple (who themselves don't have a multi-touch computer).

TaeKwonDonkey

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
I think what this shows is that Apple is truly scared that Google could steal away from its profits in a much more massive way and that is why they're ready to go to court. However, it makes no sense that Apple did not request HTC to not use multitouch on the Hero. It seems as though they're only concerned about Google. Along with the whole google voice thing, this is becoming very strange

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Hmmm.. Apple has copywrite or something on multitouch in a map and browser? Kinda lame.. is google maps compatible with iphone? Google should just not make a compatible version if its going to be like that right? Or am I missing something?

That can't be right as the Palm Pre has multi-touch in maps and the browser and google maps on the Palm Pre has multi-touch.

dtboos

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Google is obviously trying to keep a decent relationship with Apple going. Palm doesn't care as they don't have anything riding on Apple. Google still wants their apps, and ads going on one of the biggest smartphone markets.

Personally I think they need to just stick it to Apple, and show them they will no longer play in any of their stupid reindeer games.

Dan C#WN

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know if a nexus one bought for the UK has multitouch(pinch zoom in native android apps) enabled? Google/motorola let the milestone have it whilst thedroid lacks it.

pbrennan42

Dec 17, 2009
www.philipbrennan.net
Probably, because as I have already said, any such patent suing in the EU about a mere idea (like the idea of multi-touch) and not its actual implementation would get laughed out of an EU court.

So having the EU version of the Droid, the Milestone, multi-touch enabled would be perfectly logical.

I would assume not in the case of the Nexus One though, because it is being bought and shipped from the USA. We shall see when the first Brits on here get their mitts on one...

Phil.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Google is obviously trying to keep a decent relationship with Apple going. Palm doesn't care as they don't have anything riding on Apple. Google still wants their apps, and ads going on one of the biggest smartphone markets.

Personally I think they need to just stick it to Apple, and show them they will no longer play in any of their stupid reindeer games.

Um...did you read my full post? :) Google maps on the palm pre has multitouch! And that's owned and written by GOOGLE. So clearly they have no problem with writing software for their services that can do multi-touch. There has to be another reason why android doesn't have it.

Isn't it weird that their own flagship software - android - has a google maps without multi-touch, but they made a multi-touch google maps for a competitor (webOS/Palm)?

frunkiss

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
"any person who “invents or discovers any new and useful process, machine, manufacture, or composition of matter, or any new and useful improvement thereof, may obtain a patent,” subject to the conditions and requirements of the law. The word “process” is defined by law as a process, act or method, and primarily includes industrial or technical processes."

Source: http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/pac/doc/general/#laws

You can't copyright or patent an idea. It has to be a specific technology or product. Apple is using their muscle (and bottomless bank account) to scare companies from implementing multi-touch on BROWSERS. But they don't care about apps because then they would be suing every app developer that has made an iphone app with multi-touch.

It's a matter of who's willing to spend the money for a legal war if they want to use Multi-Touch or pinch zoom in a browser.
Apple didn't invent either, they just want to claim ownership of it. Apple is no better than Microsoft but the trendy people that want to carry the Apple brand to be different and against corporate greed are just puppets supporting one of the most technology restricting companies we've seen in recent years.

Last edited:

frunkiss

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
The Droid in Europe has multi touch, but over there it's call the Milestone.

It's Apple trying to play bully. I never understood why so many Apple fans feel that they are pro Apple because they hate Microsoft being such a bad evil company when Apple does way more to actually stop technological advancements.

I have a feeling we'll see an Android OS update in the next few months that will show Google has some balls, but we have to wait until they have more carriers, phones, and more pull in the cell phone industry for Apple to think twice about challenging them and risk losing.

AT&T is releasing 5 Android phones in the next 6 months. That's HUGE.
They won't rely on only Apple. Apple will have less muscle pushing their one version handset to different carriers.
The Open Handset Alliance is something incredible from a business standpoint. It boggles my mind to think how things will be in 1 or 2 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MusicChris63