Nexus One Gingerbread Launcher Freezing

BigVDawgy

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Gingerbread is a great improvement. I can't speak more highly of it but have one issue, the launcher seems to freeze every couple days and I have to actually reboot the phone.

When I say the launcher freezes, I can see the home screen but am unable to swipe left or right, even tapping the active Nexus Wallpaper (which usually sends colors flying) does not respond. Even trying to open apps on home screen does not work.

It happens in the morning, after about 7 or so hours of my sleeping and the phone's inactivity, when the Nexus One alarm goes off and I dismiss the alarm, the home screen appears and I get no response.

First time it happened I got the "Launcher Application not responding" which I did report resulting in the launcher automatically restarting, after which everything seemed to work okay. This morning I had to shut down the phone and restart.

As great as Gingerbread is, at least with Froyo I could go weeks at a time without having to reboot. Constantly having to reboot was a major reason why I left BlackBerry.

decyphersmc

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Could be something on one of the homescreens? I had an old widget that didn't remove itself after I uninstalled the app (with froyo) it might have been giving me problems.

I tend to see a blank homescreen more often than I'd like when I press the home button but I normally just let it sit until the icons appear (swiping frantically at this problem doesn't seem to help).

gti3527

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I have an issue with mine locking up. I could put it to sleep and bring down the notification bar but I could not open the app drawer or switch between screens. I had to turn it off and back on.

Kage_

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Give Launcher Pro a try. The free version is fully functional, but doesn't have a few bells and whistles. They are nice, but not needed. I've been using LP since 2.1 and it works great.

zeeshannzc

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Gingerbread is a great improvement. I can't speak more highly of it but have one issue, the launcher seems to freeze every couple days and I have to actually reboot the phone.

When I say the launcher freezes, I can see the home screen but am unable to swipe left or right, even tapping the active Nexus Wallpaper (which usually sends colors flying) does not respond. Even trying to open apps on home screen does not work.

It happens in the morning, after about 7 or so hours of my sleeping and the phone's inactivity, when the Nexus One alarm goes off and I dismiss the alarm, the home screen appears and I get no response.

First time it happened I got the "Launcher Application not responding" which I did report resulting in the launcher automatically restarting, after which everything seemed to work okay. This morning I had to shut down the phone and restart.

As great as Gingerbread is, at least with Froyo I could go weeks at a time without having to reboot. Constantly having to reboot was a major reason why I left BlackBerry.
I have been having the same issue where screen locks up and u ddont see anything or can't do anything... it has to do something with the settings that causing the issue.. when u hit the menu button .. hit the manage apps button and go to running apps and select settings and hit stop... that seems to solve the issue for like 5 mins until the settings thing just starts automatically again... if u don't see the menu when u hit the menu button on the launcher home screen ... its there .. u just don't see it lol...

decyphersmc

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Just had my phone go really weird on me.

Could turn on, and was on the lock screen but only the icons in the notification bar and the wallpaper were visible.

Swiping where the lock button normally is unlocked the phone, and I could see the homescreen, and when I went to menu > settings the phone took me to a completely black screen but I could see press and get the menu items like manage apps but nothing beyond that seemed to work.

Powered off and back on and everything seems fine. Hope that doesn't happen again (I installed Seesmic and was having some menu troubles with check boxes not updating until I backed out of the menu window and back in. So I uninstalled then had the above happen to me later. Not sure if that is related or what just victim of some weird stuff going on with 2.3.3).

prettyboygwapo

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
same

i have the same problem. ever since i've had gingerbread, i've had more reboots on it than i've had on froyo. the launcher just freezes or slows down.

also i noticed that gingerbread is power hungry, phone idle and cell standby at more than 20% ? is this normal?

GeoKaplan

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Just had my phone go really weird on me.

Could turn on, and was on the lock screen but only the icons in the notification bar and the wallpaper were visible.

Swiping where the lock button normally is unlocked the phone, and I could see the homescreen, and when I went to menu > settings the phone took me to a completely black screen but I could see press and get the menu items like manage apps but nothing beyond that seemed to work.

Powered off and back on and everything seems fine. Hope that doesn't happen again (I installed Seesmic and was having some menu troubles with check boxes not updating until I backed out of the menu window and back in. So I uninstalled then had the above happen to me later. Not sure if that is related or what just victim of some weird stuff going on with 2.3.3).

You're not alone. This happens once or twice a day--Unlock the phone, but the homescreen is completely locked. No menus can be swiped down, no apps opened. Turn off the phone and turn it back on, and everything is fine.

TaeKwonDonkey

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
Give Launcher Pro a try. The free version is fully functional, but doesn't have a few bells and whistles. They are nice, but not needed. I've been using LP since 2.1 and it works great.

I actually had to switch away from LauncherPro when I got the gingerbread OTA because the 3D app drawer wouldn't allow you launch apps that were at the bottom of the list. I'm using the stock launcher now and I have yet to have the the problems that others on this thread are experiencing.

james_ptm

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site

I'm seeing the same problems as the OP. The launcher freezes and won't display any of the icons on my home screen. The app drawer won't scroll and will instead flicker in the same scroll position. When I attempt to go to settings, all I get is a blank screen. All these symptoms occur together and I've experienced these three times already and only a reboot seems to fix them. Please help.

Can someone please post instructions to froyo downgrade? (Some people seem to be getting the 'main version is older' error with FRG33 as passimg.zip)

googol

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I am also facing the same problem as the OP. The launcher freezes every couple of days and I have to reboot the phone to get it working again. Has anybody found a solution to the problem or is this something that Google might fix with an update?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felisovci