Nexus One Ripped Us Off!!!

SleepyAndroid

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
I know you will say this is standard practice in the industry and blah blah blah but what the hell? If Google is selling the phones direct, why can't I get a $180 price even if I am not eligible for an upgrade? I have a TMobile account and want to dump my slow as hell ancient G1. If TMobile was selling it direct and Google had zero involvement, I would understand. But I was hoping this setup would be different. I am gravely disappointed and I am not about to drop $530 bones for a phone.

It is hilarious that it would be cheaper to TERMINATE my Tmobile line and open up a new one purchasing this exact phone.

herki

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
For you to get the cheaper price without getting a new contract, somebody somewhere would have to pay the subsidy to make it that cheap.
Apparently Google isn't willing to pitch in the kind of dough to make that happen.
Carriers are willing to subsidize your phone because in the long run, they make their money back and more because you pay them upwards of $100 a month. So $300 or so is chump change.
Google doesn't make nearly that much from the deal, and they don't want to dip into their (granted, expansive) coffers to sell every phone at a massive loss.

It's just the way it works. Google doesn't love you that much.

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
It doesnt seem like its much cheaper yet. They put a restriction so it seems on what plan you can get. Only plan right now is the one offered thats it. If you want to add another line its basically getting a new contract for that phone too. Im on verizon right now and need to have at least 2 phones if i switch but if i do im still basically paying the same as i am now. T mobile said i would have to get the new nexus deal, 79.99 and if another phone is added it would be 39.99 extra. Thats $120 before taxes. So again im basically paying the same as i am now. Phone does look sweet but im gonna wait i guess till things open up a little. See what verizon has in store price wise in the spring. If i didnt need a second line id probably jump right now but thats the one hang up, sucks but im basically paying a etf with verizon and a new contract price with T mobile to have to the same phone bill i have now. lol. We'll see.....

MasonMI

Dec 20, 2009
Visit site
I'm confused with looking at the price point of the Nexus Phone if im a new T-mobile customer would i be elgible for the 179.00 price point? What if i just bought the Droid would i be able to cancel my contract with Verizon and move over to T-Mobile for the Nexus?

largeselection

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Choose which carrier is best for you first with regard to reliability, price, service in your area. Then choose the phone. I would never leave verizon for tmobile because it is just less reliable and has worse reception in my area.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I'm confused with looking at the price point of the Nexus Phone if im a new T-mobile customer would i be elgible for the 179.00 price point? What if i just bought the Droid would i be able to cancel my contract with Verizon and move over to T-Mobile for the Nexus?

I think if you just bought the Droid it will cost you more then $200 to cancel your contract with Verizon. And I would never leave Verizon for any phone because they are by far the best in my area.

TaeKwonDonkey

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site

If the Nexus One is really coming to Verizon you might as well just wait for it to come out there and that way you get to keep your reliable service

SilverLight98

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
If you already have a moto droid there isn't really a point in getting the N1. There already very similar devices and will run the same software (once the droid gets an update). As many reviews have said, the N1 is faster but not ground breaking. Also, by the time it arrives on verizon there will be a new better "superphone" around the corner. If I had a G1 on t-mobile however, i'd upgrade.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
If you already have a moto droid there isn't really a point in getting the N1. There already very similar devices and will run the same software (once the droid gets an update). As many reviews have said, the N1 is faster but not ground breaking. Also, by the time it arrives on verizon there will be a new better "superphone" around the corner. If I had a G1 on t-mobile however, i'd upgrade.

Those are my thoughts exactly.

MisterSlanky

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
If I had a G1 on t-mobile however, i'd upgrade.

This is currently my dilemma. I'm really hemming and hawing over what I should get. I'm currently a G1 user on T-Mobile, and I've been generally happy with the provider up to now, but there are times I miss the huge network of Verizon. Conversely, I really shudder at the idea of doing at minimum a $20 a month upgrade to my plan just to switch providers.

So I'm left with the immortal question: Upgrade to a N1 on T-Mobile or switch providers?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanglap