Nexus screen brightness adjustment

gmen78

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Hey nexus'ers, is there a way to lower the brightness even lower than the default settings? Lets just say I work nights and am among coworkers in a tightly packed van pool and would like a lil more privacy when texting and the lowest setting doesn't do enough and I'm even using the dark inverted mms app. I'm on aokp 4.0.4, thx everyone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
You can probably find a polarized screen protector with a bit of googling for it. Makes it so you can't see the screen unless you're pretty much front facing it. Had one on my blackberry and loved it, mucho privacy on many a subway ride, lol.

samkatz

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I use the widget widgetsoid. You can set custom levels by %% brightness. Don;t know how it compares to stock settings. I do almost all my settings changes w/this widget.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Like I said.. get a polarized screen protector. Serves 2 purposes, protecting the screen like any other, and making it so only you can see whats on the screen.. not some dude sitting next to you on the train or in your carpool... Plus, brightness isn't really a factor so you can keep it nice and bright. You can't tell it's on there when you're looking directly at the screen, only when you tilt it to an angle.

Here's some examples (had to search PRIVACY screen protector rather than POLARIZED):
Empire Empire Samsung Galaxy Nexus Privacy Screen Protector [empire Packaging]
Privacy Screen Filter Protector for Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250

gmen78

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Thx guys appreciate the input. Polarized screen protection looks like what I need. Because all the lowest settings are still too bright in a dark van pool lol.

jamontoast1291

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
There's an app called Screen Filter that I use when I'm using my phone in bed at night before I go to sleep. You can lower the brightness a LOT lower than the default and it's free and really simple to use.

Reactions: gmen78

bjs188

May 29, 2010
Visit site
There's an app called Screen Filter that I use when I'm using my phone in bed at night before I go to sleep. You can lower the brightness a LOT lower than the default and it's free and really simple to use.

+1 about screen filter. that app rocks!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

gregs1213

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I think that the auto settings are too bright for a VERY dark room.. sometimes I use my phone at night and wish it was darker.. I can scroll all the down to 1%, but it's still too bright.. I can mess with the gamma settings, but the colors get distorted... I would say overall the auto is too bright in darkness, and a little too dim in bright sunlight..

johnnex72

May 1, 2012
Visit site

Been using Screen Filter since I bought
my Dinc. I can read in bed. Also, using the stock browser, I go to settings, accessibility, inverted black white (white becomes black and black text is white), and then go.to bandwidth management and set it to not display pictures. With inverted black/white and no pictures, pages don't emit much light.

anon(186320)

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I think that the auto settings are too bright for a VERY dark room.. sometimes I use my phone at night and wish it was darker.. I can scroll all the down to 1%, but it's still too bright.. I can mess with the gamma settings, but the colors get distorted... I would say overall the auto is too bright in darkness, and a little too dim in bright sunlight..

If you're rocking AOKP, you can adjust the automatic light levels. I've been messing with them for a couple days now, and things are getting to where I want them after quite a bit of guess and check.

Sent from my Unicornified, LK'ed-out, 4.0.4-driven LTE GNex