No going back now, so what can and can't I do?

electrik62

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
OK, my Verizon S5 is rooted with towelroot,stock 4.4.2. I ran Samsung Unlocker so it says developer in download mode and I flashed PhilZ via odin. Knox is tripped but don't care because the phone is out of contract now and I really didn't care if I screwed it up or not. My question is: I'm wanting to start flashing roms now but keep reading something about flashing the wrong version will relock the bootloader. Can I jump releases or do i need to stay in chronological order?
Can I use Flashfire or do I need to flash thru PhilZ?
What can/can't I do?
I don't want to stupidly just brick the phone. :- Thanks

Last edited:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
OK, my Verizon S5 is rooted with towelroot,stock 4.4.2. I ran Samsung Unlocker so it says developer in download mode and I flashed PhilZ via odin. Knox is tripped but don't care because the phone is out of contract now and I really didn't care if I screwed it up or not. My question is: I'm wanting to start flashing roms now but keep reading something about flashing the wrong version will relock the bootloader. Can I jump releases or do i need to stay in chronological order?
What can/can't I do?
I don't want to stupidly just brick the phone. :- Thanks
When flashing ROMs you should first check with the ROM developer to see that you can 1. flash their ROM and 2. what instructions are provided for doing so. Generally, you can jump around without staying in chronological order. But as always, be sure to BACKUP first just in case something goes wrong you can restore.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
And be aware that rooting the ROM (you don't root the hardware, you root the currently running ROM) has no effect if you flash a different ROM. Most of them are rooted, but if you flash an unrooted ROM, you have an unrooted phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power